cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Highlighted
Master

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Joe you are correct.  Some rooted phones will not take over the air updates of any kind.  Others will not take software updates. Some will take updates  but the information that is being updated on the phone does not match what the software is trying to do and causes the phone to act strangely or freeze up.  Before updating a rooted phone has  to be returned to the one of the software version that were sent out by the carrier.

Highlighted
Journeyman

A lot if not all of the stupid bloatware sprint puts in these phone serve as tattle tails in a way, the OTA updates look for these things like nasca and the other useless apps. Thats why they are so deep in your phone and you cant delete them. So updates when they dont see that stuff wont upload, or upload incorrectly perhaps needing some code hidden in those apps, a deterent for trying to serve two matsers. If your gonna run a mod your gonna have to stay with the mod, or a different mod, making sure the new mod will play nice with the old mod..or set your phone back to factory.

Looking over the hill, the grass is always greener...but it still needs to be mowed and green grass grows fast which means more work.

In short, if it aint broke dont fix it!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow did you read what i wrote?

Scroll up to the first post where i said i put the phone back to STOCK 4 times and upgraded it 4 times  testing the issues i had on the phone on each upgrade and still had the same problems.... this was not rooted!

I said i rooted my phone before but if i could not download the update  and i have the STOCK FC09 update its obvious that i  un-rooted my phone. I don't even have the same phone that was rooted the dam camera broke the led light broke and the front facing cam broke NOT a software issue this was a defective brand new phone that burnt out after 2 months i have had 3 replacement epics  and the first 2 replacements also had defective cameras in them why would anyone complain if they rooted their phone and caused their own problems??? that makes no sense....  i would like to note when my phone was rooted it worked better then the stock ever worked!  I only tried to root my phone in gingerbread because it says it fixes the GPS issue and i have not messed with this replacement phone at all but the above listed problems still exist. I have not tried to root this phone  i have not done anything that could break it. I have not even dropped it once!  But on the other epic phones YES i tried to root it and it worked just fine till gingerbread came out but i  could not update to gingerbread unless i unrooted my phone so  YES i had to UNroot the phone and bring it back to stock to download gingerbread hoping my problems would be solved! All these issues above where all on STOCK software as the first line of my post says " I’m running a stock Sprint Samsung Epic 4G on FC09. " So before you point fingers try reading my whole post i know its long but if you're going to respond take the time to read it. I would not suggest a class action suit against sprint and Samsung for defective updates unless it was their update i was running....

Highlighted
Journeyman

and it was broke so thats why i tired to fix it!

Highlighted
Journeyman

i did read your whole book, i mean post, was you that said something about rooting your phone, and btw, i have droped mine, many times and other then the led notifications not working..which NoLED has taken care of, the phones not running bad with the optimizer tunred off. Including the GPS Navigation.

Im not pointing any fingers and attempted to offer you solutions and ideas, personally i dont care if your phone works or not. Good luck with your law suit.

I think i see why sprint hasnt been much help to you! Your looking for a fight, when throwing such words around a company the size of Sprint and Samsung becareful what you wish for, you might get it.

Aagin, good luck..im out!

Journeyman

well sprint admited some people got bad updates today the good news is they offered to let me out of my contract or trade my phone for another one soo bye bye epic i still might change to att and get the samsung note

Highlighted
Journeyman

where did they admit this? email? called ya? website? I haven't seen any of this...

Highlighted
Journeyman

well, now that I have the NoLED ap, I'm inclined to stop my whining about the LEDs. That problem is solved. I haven't experienced any of the other problems other than the GPS lost the signal the other night while driving and it never did reacquire...first time its done that and will have to keep an eye on it. So I have NoLED installed, I've shut of the optimizer and I toggle wi-fi manually,...so far so good.

Highlighted
Wizard

Just call them. You have the option of getting a different phone or getting out of your contract. NoLED, in the rare event that it ever work, will only be a drain on RAM and battery.

Highlighted
Journeyman

1. Just wanted to check back in with a quick update of a 6 hour holiday road trip test with the FC09 optimizer turned off.  The first leg of the trip went well.  Suburban/rural area to the middle of a big city.  GPS & 4G, on, Wifi Off, Music Player on (iSyncr) & Navigation on.  I did get the “Searching for GPS” notice on the screen all the time but the GPS seemed to always be on track.  Of course, I was depending on my Garmin Nuvi but side by side their maps seemed to match.  After a 2 hour stop In the city, I changed out the new Anker 1800mAh battery with a fresh Anker 1800mAh battery (Battery life kind of stinks when the Epic is maxxed out).  As soon as I stepped outside the office building the trouble started.  The phone almost immediately started going into a continual reboot mode and I had to do a battery pull.  Navigation kept locking up and rebooting in the city so I couldn’t use it.  I actually did a couple more battery pulls in the car during stop lights.   It finally settled down in the suburbs and rural areas.  When I’m in the boonies, the phone is fine.  I think that extended time in a free wifi network rich city overloads the phone after a few minutes.  This seems to confirm what others have stated about FC09 still doing something even when it is “turned off.”I’m not happy.  My Garmin Nuvi will be staying in my car.  If I didn’t keep the Garmin I would have been totally screwed this trip.  I would really like to roll my Epic 4g slider back to EL30 but somehow I doubt Sprint would do that at its service centers.   
  2. Someone in the Android Central Epic 4G forum finally had the Sprint folks confirm an LED bug in the FC09 update. 
  3. EpicThunder:  I’m not sure what’s causing your problem with NoLED.  There is a very large contingent of satisfied NoLED users including myself.  The expert techies on the other boards let me know about this terrific app.  Since my LED on my Epic 4G is toast again thanks FC09.  I’m happy to keep using this app.  Does your LED notification light work?  Do you use another notification program?  Unless you enable NoLED in the Accessibility settings, it won’t work.  It wouldn't be a 4.5/5.0 rated app with over a million downloads if it was a crap app. 
Highlighted
Journeyman

I Too downloaded the NoLed app and I Love it..Works way better than BubbleBuzz..I went into my Corporate Store where they supposedly rolled back my Software update to EL30 and when I looked at my Phone after it was wiped it was still running Fc09..Their Computers showed EL30 but only had Fc09. I went into a Repair shop that I know of just to see if maybe they could do it and the Tech is a Super Cool Guy and he Did it for me but I was told they are not supposed to do it anymore..I started having problems with FC09 when I was making calls and my screen was going Loopty Lou...It would black out go back to my homescreen, After calls I couldnt hang up, on my homescreen trying to go to my other screens It would take a few secs to actually respond...Question what phone is Sprint offering because of this and does this have to be a renewel of Contract? I bought this phone because of the Physical Keyboard but it seems I'm dealing with Swype more because the Keyboard has me always back tracking to input missing letters...I Love this Phone with everything that it can do..But just gets frustrating at times with its issues..Also yes even with the Optimizer disabled it does run in the background 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also just made a road trip, mine was a 8 hour journey from Boston to Baltimore. I used Telenav in my epic and ran it side by side with my Garmin C580.

All went well except once in CT the phone gps wants me to take a different route then the Garmin had chosen, that was ok as i like that route better. I just find it strange the 2 chose different routes on the same trip, using the same preferences.

All went well until i got to NY when the Epic lost satelite signal and froze. This was under clear sky. The phone would not recover from the freeze and i had to pull over and do a battery pull.

Another observation. I turned the optimizer ON for this trip, with GPS on and the optimizer on even with my phone plugged in, keeping the display on to follow the maps of the gps the battery was draining, thats right, the battery was draining while plugged it. I never saw this condition prior to the FC09 upgrade. The phone also became hot to the touch, very hot, so much so that I'm wondering if that was what caused the phone to freeze up requirering the battery pull.

After cooling down the phone and putting the battery back in I resumed the trip using the phones GPS feature but this time kept the display off and the phone stayed much cooler and did not freeze up again. Once in NJ the epic and my Garmin agree'd on the route to my destination.

What good is this phones GPS function if it is going to

1. Drain battery while its plugged in

2. Freeze up and

3. Loose satellite signal in clear open skies

4. require the display to be turned off, it needs to be on to see the map.

Futhermore if while using the phone, as hot as it got i believe it to be a fire hazzard and truly what good it if it is going to freeze up, in an emergancy situation relieing on this phone could mean trouble.

The GPS on my phone worked great on the out of the box version of Froyo, it had no issues at all that i can remember. Each update has insatlled issues with the gps function.

My phone now also reboots itself for no apparent reason randomly. EL30 had seemed to ellminate freeze ups and introduced some stability with the gps function over the latest update while still in froyo. This FC09 update retunred the phone to an unreliable status. First and formost a cell phone smart or otherwise has to be reliable. This needs to be addressed right away.

I would be interested to know how people are faring getting a different phone from sprint or if that is just made up B/S.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat