cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

unfortunately, thr reason a person can not disable the shutter sound on the camera is because a lot of people were using the phone cameras at work to take pictures of cutomers' credit cards and then using them online. not to mention the sex offenders using them to invade others privacy

Wizard

Sprint are not smart. They waste time and money doing silly things like that. Its also illegal for them to be tampering with our personal devices that we do not give permission for, in this case, removal of silent option for camera shutter and removing LED notifications. Fortunately, there are better camera apps allowing us the option to comfortably take pictures without an annoying sound. And master volume controls app are available to also block shutter sounds. Sprint isn't very smart. 😉

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I sent my Phone to Samsung as it is still under Warranty. My Phone Failed the Diagnostic Test and It was going to take well they didn't know how long for them to get them into the warehouse so I sent my phone to samsung in the package there was the Diagnostic Test Result and Also a Note Stating Not To Install the FC09 update. Guess What spoke to Numerous Tech, Advance Tech, Executive Support and they Installed FC09 and there was Nothing they could do about it?? This is Samsung mind you, they also have the audacity to say they did a Prl update which to me its Hilarious  so Ofcourse they said my phone is Clear and passed all test...So what does this mean Exactly that Sprint didnt Diagnose the Phone Correctly or That Samsung Mobile is Horrible?? I Feel this was a Waste of Time and Energy...I'm supposed to be getting my phone back Tom and I'll see if the phone is actually working correctly now. I already let sprint know if the phone starts acting up they have to replace the phone with a completly different Phone. I've asked before for those who where offered a different phone what was offered because with me the only option I had was to wait for a refurbished one but still an original Epic

Highlighted
Journeyman

Gonna have to go back and read through the entire thread, but just from this last page alone this is pure unadulterated awesomeness.

Highlighted
Journeyman

glad I decided not to install it.  it still keeps asking me to.  learned my lesson after EL30, wish I never installed that one! 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Good point about the hot potato Samsung Epic 4g.  My phone literally cooks when I use GPS, Nav, 4G, Music Player all at the same time.  The Summer sun on the dashboard mount just makes things worse.  I end up swapping in a cold battery after it freezes up and try to get an A/C vent to blow on it for a while.  Thanks to FC09 I now call my stock Sprint Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G "Sybill."  I've given up on the GPS and am using my Garmin now since I'm tired of freeze/reboot/lostGPSsignal after a few minutes in the city (when the phone is still relatively cool).  There are laws against talking on your cell phone while driving.  Dealing with a locked up FC09 phone while is even worse.  When I just run Music Player on 3G without GPS or Nav, my phone seems to do OK most of the time.  The random reboots are still maddening but it's far less frequent than when I'm running GPS/Nav & 4G at the same time.

I am about to do one last (usually futile) factory reset and reinstall of all my apps.  If that doesn't work, I might throw my phone at the next Samsung/Sprint employee I see...  Till then, I'm waiting for Samsung to come out with a better slider phone.  I see the rumor mill is talking about a Motorola Droid slider but unless they fix the rubbish screen, I'm not biting.

If all else fails, I may consider the forbidden "R" word like so many other Epic 4G users exiled to XDA Iand...

If any suit at Samsung pulls their head out of their kiester long enough to read this post, there is a huge community out there waiting for a Samsung Galaxy III 5-row Qwerty keyboard (the sucky 4 row Captivate Glide keyboard doesn't count).  There are multiple how-to Youtube videos and very active discussion boards posting almost daily s/w updates...  It would behoove Samsung to take the hard lessons of Palm and RIM to heart and not dismiss any segment of the smartphone market. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does anyone know if SPRINT plans to rollout a fix that will make our notification light start blinking again? 

As others suggested here, I downloaded a program called NOLED from PlayMe..(or whatever the Market is now called).  For some reason it was always running, which added extra battery drain, which is the last thing we need.  It was uninstalled.

I was planning on getting the Samsung Galaxy S3 when it rolled this coming September, but thanks to another good thread on this forum, I learned that it only uses the Sprint 4G-LTE network.  A network that Sprint hasn't even begun to turn on yet.  And Chicago is nowhere on the list of upcoming cities.

So, it looks like my family will be keeping our EPICs for the foreseeable future, unless Sprint gets rid of unlimited data.  Then all bets are off. It would be nice to have the blinking LED work again.  Especially so since I wear hearing-aids and therefore really depend on visual notifications.

-Allen in Chicagoland

Highlighted
Journeyman

Back in November, 2011 when the android upgraded from froyo to gingerbread, my phone would randomly hang up on people mid-call so I took it to the service center to have the update removed.  Since doing that, I have not received any updates at all.  Here is the current info about my phone:

Firmware version: 2.2.1

Baseband version: S:D700.05S.DK28

Kernel version: 2.6.32.9

Build number FROYO.DK28

Hardware version: D700.0.5

What I would like to know is how I can get all of the updates that have occured since Nov.?

Can I skip to the final one or do I need to apply all of the updates in order?

How can I manually update?

And, will my phone ever update automatically again?

Thanks!

Highlighted

aKELTYr wrote:

Back in November, 2011 when the android upgraded from froyo to gingerbread, my phone would randomly hang up on people mid-call so I took it to the service center to have the update removed.  Since doing that, I have not received any updates at all.  Here is the current info about my phone:

Firmware version: 2.2.1

Baseband version: S:D700.05S.DK28

Kernel version: 2.6.32.9

Build number FROYO.DK28

Hardware version: D700.0.5

What I would like to know is how I can get all of the updates that have occured since Nov.?

Can I skip to the final one or do I need to apply all of the updates in order?

How can I manually update?

And, will my phone ever update automatically again?

Thanks!

Build DK28 was never officially released. It was a version leaked prior to the official build of Froyo being released. The official versions for Froyo are EB13 and EC05. This is why your phone hasn't updated. The updates only work for officially released versions.

There are 2 options to get your phone up to date. There is a Samsung upgrade tool floating around the internet with build EB13. It was officially released by Samsung and will update your phone to build EB13. From EB13 your phone will download an update to EC05...then EI22...then EL30...then FC09. The second option is to take your phone to a sprint store and let them update it for you.

HOWEVER, since your phone has a non official build on it, both of those options will completely wipe your phone (except the SD card). There is no way to do the incremental upgrades that won't wipe your phone with that version on it.

Highlighted

AllenChicago wrote:

Does anyone know if SPRINT plans to rollout a fix that will make our notification light start blinking again? 

As others suggested here, I downloaded a program called NOLED from PlayMe..(or whatever the Market is now called).  For some reason it was always running, which added extra battery drain, which is the last thing we need.  It was uninstalled.

I was planning on getting the Samsung Galaxy S3 when it rolled this coming September, but thanks to another good thread on this forum, I learned that it only uses the Sprint 4G-LTE network.  A network that Sprint hasn't even begun to turn on yet.  And Chicago is nowhere on the list of upcoming cities.

So, it looks like my family will be keeping our EPICs for the foreseeable future, unless Sprint gets rid of unlimited data.  Then all bets are off. It would be nice to have the blinking LED work again.  Especially so since I wear hearing-aids and therefore really depend on visual notifications.

-Allen in Chicagoland

There were 2 test builds after FC09, both in March. Nothing has appeared since. My GUESS is they are done with the Epic. There has never been this long of a period without test builds appearing since the Epic came out.

The upgrade to LTE for the Chicago market is well under way: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-272-chicago-network-visionlte-deployment-schedule-update/

Highlighted
Journeyman

Do NOT update it, you will regret it.

Highlighted

teresazu5 wrote:

Do NOT update it, you will regret it.

I would highly recommend updating to at least EL30. I ran FC09 without problems other than no notification light. DK28 was an absolutely horrible build of Froyo (which is why it was never officially released). It had lots of issues.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat