cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Journeyman

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

I apologize if this has been addressed earlier, but is their a way to manually update the phone to FC09? My phone's (Samsung Epic 4g) build is GINGERBREAD.EH06 with a baseband of S:D700.0.5S.EH06, when it says here and on another thread showing the update calender for the Epic 4g shows it should be at S:D700.0.5S.FC07

Also, a sprint store said they updated it when I ahd some work done, but the EH06 is not even on the update calender.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Joe01880 wrote:

I love the way the informjation in the links in the first post has been changed on describing what features were included in FC09. Changed after the update was released.

I guess Sprint didnt think anyone would notice that and there sure isnt anything that can be done about it.

A very sneaky if not dishonest thing to do Sprint!

What are you talking about? Those are the only 2 enhancements/fixes ever listed for FC09....it has said that from day 1 of the update.

dasbrick wrote:

I apologize if this has been addressed earlier, but is their a way to manually update the phone to FC09? My phone's (Samsung Epic 4g) build is GINGERBREAD.EH06 with a baseband of S:D700.0.5S.EH06, when it says here and on another thread showing the update calender for the Epic 4g shows it should be at S:D700.0.5S.FC07

Also, a sprint store said they updated it when I ahd some work done, but the EH06 is not even on the update calender.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Sounds like the Sprint store installed a unofficial version of Gingerbread on your phone before it was released. Unfortunately there is no easy way to update to the latest version as the update files only work with official versions.

Unless you feel comfortable flashing software on your phone from your computer (with the risk of ending up with a inoperable phone) your best bet would be to go to a Sprint store. However, in order to be updated to the latest version, your phone will end up being reset to factory settings and anything you've installed will be lost.

Journeyman

"it has said that from day 1 of the update"

No it did not, and now one of the links is dead, believe the smoke they blow at you if you want.

If i could get FC09 out of my phone I would. It cant be turned off or deletedf, it runs in the background all the time collecting data to be reported back to sprint.

Sprint does not need to know anything other then usage for billing purposes. Anything else is using my phone to benifit Sprint and I should be paid for that. The notes on this update were misleading period and now changed And now Sprint has as much as abandon this model phone with it not being updated to the latest and most efficient OS, so what oither purpose does FC09 serve than to benifit Sprint? Opimizing your connections..which drains your batteyr..yet its reporting how your battery is used, B/S! You can turn off the optimization but not the reporting end of it. My phone did everything before this update that it does now except run a new report back app that i cant turn off!

An app like that would be pulled from the Market.

Then what did it say? Because all I ever saw was what is posted now.

Journeyman

really?? ok sprintboy

How about answering my question before resorting to name calling? What are you saying it said that was changed? It is possible I missed something, but what is posted now is all I remember.

As far as the link in the original post that doesn't work any more...it just listed the features of the connections optimizer...which can still be found here:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/services/blog/2012/07/18/sprint-connecti...

Edit: I see you went back and added to your post after I replied.

If you don't like FC09, a Sprint store should be able to put you back on an older version but your phone will be reset to factory to do so.

The Epic cannot be upgraded to ICS.

Message was edited by: coasterphotos

Highlighted
Journeyman

the first post in this thread with regards to the 2 links in it, that now has one dead link..did i call you a name? I simply made an observation, sorry you took it that way!

Journeyman

and no, sprint stores can not or will not remove FC09, they will gladly wipe your phone clean of everything except FC09 though, at least that what 2 diffrerent stores did to mine, thank goodness for contact and app backups!

I'm curious to know why you think it is reporting data back to Sprint? There are no reports of this that I've ever found...other than your posts here. Unlike CarrierIQ which was hidden in several phones (Epic included) and reporting all kinds of data back to carriers that was posted on every Android forum and made national news.

Edit:

There are ways to do get back to EL30 yourself but would take several steps and of course the risk of something going wrong. And you would be forever bothered with a reminder on your phone to update to FC09.

Message was edited by: coasterphotos

Journeyman

because in one of the links, no doubt the one thats now dead, convienient for both them and me i know, it said the optimizer collected data to report back to sprint, suposedly battery usage data. That does not make sence, why does there need to be battery usage data reports to spint. The phone is what it is at this point and with it not being updatable to new OS's its a dead horse.

Why cant it be tunred off, why when force closed does it reopen itself and what exactly does it do that my phone didnt already do? Except run a search for 4g constantly that kills your battery..ok that part can be tunred off and has to be if you want any battery..so then what good is it please?

Journeyman

"There are ways to do get back to EL30 yourself but would take several steps and of course the risk of something going wrong. And you would be forever bothered with a reminder on your phone to update to FC09."

No ways that wont void warranties or sevice agreements!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat