- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within

approximately 6 weeks

- Refer to the Samsung Epic Software Update blog for install instructions  

- Refer to the Sprint Connections Optimizer blog for more info on this feature

Message was edited by: mapesy who fixed the Sprint Connections Optimizer link

243 REPLIES 243
Highlighted
Journeyman

Best of luck to all of you stuck with the Epic 4g I took advantage of the Sprint Black Friday $48 deal and got a Galaxy SIII and all I can say is WOW, what a great phone it is.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I mean you told the other person to private msg you for details, why not post them for all of us to take advantage of?

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

I can't do that because the details I give are based on a person's account history. The same does not apply to each & every person. I welcome anybody to send me a private message for me to check their account.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

did you do it without an upgrade?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have 2 old Lotus phones, my mother-in-law uses one of them on my account. It was elidgable for an upgrade. I used that upgrade to get the GS3 then had it transfered to my number and my mother-law- keeping the Lotus, It was seemless and she really likes her/my Lotus and is not a techie person. All she cares about it that the Lotus is easy to text with.

Now i have an extra Epic in case my wifes dies and 3 extra batteries, although the Best Buy service plan would replace it. I also have an extra Lotus in case the one my mother-in-law has deis out, it too can be upgraded. Both our Epic's can be upgraded in March too so for once I am ahead or at least even with the swap out game. I will say what ever the next great phone is it will really have to be something to be better than the Galaxy S3.

I had a friend who got an S3 from Amazon on Black Friday for $10 by trading in his iphone for it. There are deals out there folks so remember to look other places than the Sprint website and stores. Best Buy had $48 S3's too on Black Friday. I just wasnt going in to that zoo to attempt to get one, not when the Sprint store had the same deal with no lines and no waiting. My Black Friday efforts were placed elsewhere to bag 2 HDTV's which I got.

This is my last post in this thread. Good Luck and Happy Holidays to all.

Joe

Highlighted
Journeyman

Congrats on being a smart consumer, Joe.  I'm hoping that a relatively good short-term deal will be unveiled for the Saumsung Note-II around Christmas.  Like you said, the important thing is to do a daily scan of the internet for desired products.   Those with patience who persevere, will be rewarded.  Happy and Safe Holidays to you too!

-Allen in Chicagoland

Highlighted
Journeyman

In the last 2-3 months, my epic has developed a problem where all sound goes out at random times.  Ringtones do not work.  Music does not work.  Apps do not make noise.  If I happen to see a call come in and I answer the phone, I can't hear the person on the other end.  The soft reboot (power down, remove battery, power on) fixes the problem but it eventually comes back in a couple days.  I've worked with customer service at Samsung and they had me reset my phone and were very adamant that this would solve the problem.  Two days later and I'm missing 6 calls and sleeping through my alarm.  So now I have a phone that is missing contacts, is not set up the same way I had it, and still has the same problems.  Another family member has the same phone and has the same problem.  This is on top of the known problems such as poor GPS, crashes, ex.

Has anyone else have this problem or heard of this problem?

Highlighted
Journeyman

yes I have!!  just had it again last night.  crazy.  Also, whatever Joe is talking bout, deals, those deals are only available to those eligible for an upgrade or new contract.  so it doesn't matter if you go via Best Buy or elsewhere, without eligibility the phones are full price!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I actually just got done looking for those "smart consumer" deals, and like you said, they're for upgrades or new customers.

The sad thing is that purchased my Epic 4G 13 months ago brand new.  I liked it because of the sliding key board function.  I wish someone would have told me that Samsung and Sprint would not support this phone past a year even though you have a contract with them.  I think it's funny that other companies get bashed but stand by their products.  Microsoft comes to mind.  They are bashed all the time but they're still supporting Window XP until 2014 and the Xbox 360 is still greatly supported even though it's been out for 7 years.  My brother purchased a 360 at launch and a year ago he got the red ring of death and even though his warranty was up they fixed his system for free.  At the very least, Samsung/Sprint could update our phones to 4.0!  I'm also fairly certain that my problem is a "bug" in their software/OS and not a physical phone problem.  I had a feeling last year that I should have gone with AT&T and got an Apple.  I know they have problems but I know many people who own them and they think the problems that I'm experiencing is ridiculous.  Some of these phones are $700 unactivated!  Support them past 1-3 years!!!!!

Highlighted

dkxcalibur1 wrote:

I actually just got done looking for those "smart consumer" deals, and like you said, they're for upgrades or new customers.

The sad thing is that purchased my Epic 4G 13 months ago brand new.  I liked it because of the sliding key board function.  I wish someone would have told me that Samsung and Sprint would not support this phone past a year even though you have a contract with them.  I think it's funny that other companies get bashed but stand by their products.  Microsoft comes to mind.  They are bashed all the time but they're still supporting Window XP until 2014 and the Xbox 360 is still greatly supported even though it's been out for 7 years.  My brother purchased a 360 at launch and a year ago he got the red ring of death and even though his warranty was up they fixed his system for free.  At the very least, Samsung/Sprint could update our phones to 4.0!  I'm also fairly certain that my problem is a "bug" in their software/OS and not a physical phone problem.  I had a feeling last year that I should have gone with AT&T and got an Apple.  I know they have problems but I know many people who own them and they think the problems that I'm experiencing is ridiculous.  Some of these phones are $700 unactivated!  Support them past 1-3 years!!!!!

Your comparison about Microsoft supporting XP till 2014 doesn't really work as Microsoft is the software maker not the hardware maker. It would need to be Toshiba, HP, etc supporting future software upgrades for years. There are computers made in the last few years that can't be upgraded to Windows 8 and there are others that might work, but the hardware manufacturers aren't officially supporting it.

The Epic was supported for a long time compared to some other phones and received several software updates. Samsung/Sprint cannot update the Epic 4G to 4.0. It isn't possible due to the storage space availble on the phone. 4.0 is larger than previous versions and will not fit in the system partition.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did not know about the reason behind the lack of a 4.0 update.  Thanks for the heads-up.  However, they could at least work through some of the bugs that people are experiencing.

Also, what you said about Microsoft and XP is definitely true, you have a point.  However Microsoft does support an 7-8 year old system in the Xbox 360.

The Xbox 360 isn't really a good example either...because it is still thier current system and they are still making them. They dropped support for the original Xbox pretty quick after the 360 came out.

In the case of pretty much all phones, if you get support for more than a year from release you are lucky.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat