- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within

approximately 6 weeks

- Refer to the Samsung Epic Software Update blog for install instructions  

- Refer to the Sprint Connections Optimizer blog for more info on this feature

Message was edited by: mapesy who fixed the Sprint Connections Optimizer link

243 REPLIES 243
Highlighted
Journeyman

have your turned off the optimizer? If not turn it off and see if it makes a difference. . I just did today, jury's stil out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, i have. I am going to leave the Wi-Fi off tomorrow and see if the battery life returns to what it was.

Highlighted
Journeyman

if wifi is available your phone should burn less battery with wifi turned on, mine always did. i would turn wifi off when i was going out. The dang 4g is so spotty i dont see where it matters one bit so i leave it turned off unless im out and stationary, then i will turn it on to see if 4g is available, it almost never is and this is 11 miles north of Boston..nice job sprint.

If not for the unlimited data and the discount i get through work i would have dumped sprint a LONG time ago, there'a always rooting and cyanogen i guess.

BTW, if you havnt already pick up a samsung battery for the Epic touch... for your Epic 4g, a little more juice without needing a new backdoor and a lot of extra weight.

Highlighted

Gingrampa wrote:

Thanks for you input. So, I guess I am not sure what has caused the decrease in battery life since update. I just know that i have the same routine every day and now i am having to charge phone during work to make it through the day. The poor life started  after download.

Sometimes updates cause issues with installed apps either causing them to use cpu cycles all the time or to not let the phone sleep. Download osmonitor and you can see how much cpu time each app that is running is using. If there is one noticeably high, then that is the problem. Download cpuspy to see if your phone is going into deep sleep mode. If your deep sleep percentange isn't the highest state on the phone then something is keeping the phone awake all the time. The sleep issue is a harder one to figure out. Either have to start uninstalling apps one by one or do a factory reset on the phone.

The recent Facebook app updates having caused issues with battery life on my phone...I've been making sure to back all the way out of the app when I'm done with it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info on Epic touch battery. I will look into that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am going to do the things you have recomended.  Over half way through the work day with Wi-Fi off and my battery is perfoming like i am used to, well over half the life left.

Highlighted
Journeyman

From a business owner perspective, I'll share my thoughts.  From what I can tell, the "Connection Optimizer" is accomplishing two things..

1.  It is ALWAYS seeking out Wi-Fi to connect to.  Obviously, this constant seeking will drain the battery faster.

2.  SPRINT is the only company remaining that offers unlimited data for a set price.  To curb this useage as much as possible, they want us to use Wi-Fi whenever it is available.  Rather than rely on each of us to turn off 4G and turn on Wi-Fi, the latest software update contains code to do that for us.  For instance, I usually have 4G on all the time, but have Wi-Fi available at Work and at Home if I want to use it.  Now, I find that when I'm a work or in the house, the 4G is turned off and the Wi-Fi turned on automatically.   I have no beef with this logic, but consuming the battery more quickly is an unpleasant and undesirable side effect.   You can bet that WHEN Sprint stops offering Unlimited Data for a set price and starts charging for those who go over their limit (like ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.)  another software update will be rolled out to Remove the Connection Optimizer.  A super-cynic would say that Sprint could still call it a Connection Optimizer, but have it work in reverse...to maximize charges on our bill, LOL. 

-Allen in Chicagoland

Highlighted
Journeyman

yeah, I think you're spot on Allen...WHEN Sprint finally does it...they're the last to fall it would seem and I think they'll hold out for a little while in order to scoop up some of the Verizon folks that bolt w/their recent announcement. I think it'll be before the end of the year we see caps here too.

Hey, do you (or anybody!!?!) know how to get rid of BS aps that come on the phone that I don't want/use and care even less about that merely consume resources?

e.g. -

Nascar

Sprint Football

Amazon MP3

Asphalt 5

Free HD Game

just to name a few  😉

TIA...Dave

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd seen the batt life go wonky as well and I too killed the optimizer and I'm back to where I was before the improvement (batt wise). I still have the LED and notification issues but at least the batt is lasting more than a few hours.

Highlighted

The only way to get rid of the pre-installed apps is to root the phone to remove them. The Free HD Game, Asphalt 5 and Qik Video apps aren't actually on the phone. The Free HD Game has alwasy just been a link and the Qik and Asphalt 5 apps were removed with EL30 and replaced with links to download from the market.

Unless the apps are starting by themselves and running background processes, removing them won't gain you anything other than not seeing the icon anymore.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Since the FC09 update (received at the beginning of the week of 5/14), my phone will not connect to the internet when in WiFi mode.  All is good when in 4G mode.  I can access some web-based content in WiFi mode, just not through the internet browser.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  If so, is there a solution to this problem?

Highlighted
Journeyman

aaaaaa...gud to know, thanks. didn't want them consuming the pitiful amout of mem space this system has w/this junk. They're not running on their own but they have to be stored somewhere...as long as they're just links so much the better. would be nice to zap the icons granted, but no big deal.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat