cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

EL30 is what started all the problems for me, that's pretty much what this whole topic is about if you read some of the other posts you'll understand.

Highlighted
Journeyman

CoasterPhotos...Thank-you for the link showing the Chicago area LTE anticipated rollout schedule and coverage.  It's amazing that even when the network is turned on in September, there will be almost 3 million people within the city limits who will not have LTE 4G available.  Thankfully, I'm in a northwest suburb where a generous amount of broadcast points are/will be located.  I wonder why SPRINT is keeping it such a big secret?  No mention at all on the Sprint website about Chicago getting LTE4g in the future.  If the information at your link turns out to be accurate, I'll be upgrading to the new Samsung Galaxy S3 this year after all.  Fingers crossed...

-Allen

Highlighted
Journeyman

hey coasterphotos

I too have been having so many issues with the upgrade. I was hoping to get the samsung note but I don't think sprint is going to get it so I was very excited to see the samsung galaxy s 3. I talked to sprnt and samsung and at first they said it would work on the normal 4g but the store said no way. So I did find out that this phone is lte only I live in fort lauderdale florida. My 4g when it works it great 4 to 8mb down and about 2mb up. My 3g is 1mb or less down gennerally its less and my 3g up is well almost notthre at all. I would love the galaxy s 3 with a keyboard I have always had a keyboard on all my phones for about 8 to 10 yrs now. All htc phones. I don't want to loose the keyboard but it looks like all the top phones will have no keyboard.

This epic is shot the last update really messed up my phone. Sprint was nice about it they bought out my contract so I could get the galaxy s3 but now I'm worried that we won't have lte for a good 2 plus years by that time ill be ready for another phone. I don't. Travl so ill never get lte on the s3 so do u maybe know if they have any plans for my area either? If I knew for sure we were getting lte in a reasonable amount of time I would be ok with the upgrade and additional costs but to get this super nice phone with no keyboard then no 4g is well just wrong. So any info you have about my area being upgrade would be greatly appercated!

Tks

Highlighted
Journeyman

coasterphotos wrote:

Build DK28 was never officially released. It was a version leaked prior to the official build of Froyo being released. The official versions for Froyo are EB13 and EC05. This is why your phone hasn't updated. The updates only work for officially released versions.

Why would the Sprint Tech update my phone to something that was not officially released?

When you say 'wipe my phone' what does that mean? What can I move to the SD card to save?

Thanks

Highlighted

pppeter78 wrote:

So any info you have about my area being upgrade would be greatly appercated!

Tks

This is the best site to go for progress on the Network Vision upgrades: http://www.s4gru.com

Looks like the Miami market is in the second round of upgrades...which probably won't start till late this year, early next year. I'm in the Houston area and they started upgrades here last Nov-Dec and still haven't turned it on yet...and Houston was one of the original cities Sprint announced would be first.

Specific info on Miami market:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-115-orlando-miamiwest-palm-are-scheduled-to-be-in-the-secon...

As far as a high end Samsung phone with a keyboard...you are probably out of luck. Sprint was the only one that had a SGS with the keyboard because that is what they wanted. Rumor has it that since the SGS series of phones have become so popular, Samsung is basically refusing to make different versions for different carriers.

Highlighted

aKELTYr wrote:

coasterphotos wrote:

Build DK28 was never officially released. It was a version leaked prior to the official build of Froyo being released. The official versions for Froyo are EB13 and EC05. This is why your phone hasn't updated. The updates only work for officially released versions.

Why would the Sprint Tech update my phone to something that was not officially released?

When you say 'wipe my phone' what does that mean? What can I move to the SD card to save?

Thanks

I have no clue why a Sprint tech would have loaded a unofficial version. To update, your phone would be basically set back to out of the box condition...which was most likely also done when they put you back on Froyo from Gingerbread. You lose all your settings, apps, app data and any contacts not backed up to your Google account. Pictures,Music,Videos, etc that are stored on the SD card will remain.

Highlighted

AllenChicago wrote:

CoasterPhotos...Thank-you for the link showing the Chicago area LTE anticipated rollout schedule and coverage.  It's amazing that even when the network is turned on in September, there will be almost 3 million people within the city limits who will not have LTE 4G available.  Thankfully, I'm in a northwest suburb where a generous amount of broadcast points are/will be located.  I wonder why SPRINT is keeping it such a big secret?  No mention at all on the Sprint website about Chicago getting LTE4g in the future.  If the information at your link turns out to be accurate, I'll be upgrading to the new Samsung Galaxy S3 this year after all.  Fingers crossed...

-Allen

No problem. There is a ton of good and intersting info on that site. I've been reading it for a while now. I'm in the Houston area still waiting on LTE myself. I've been without 4G since I traded in my Epic for the Galaxy Nexus a couple months ago.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So after nurmerous problems I have changing phones. My phone has developed and extreme signal problem and a extreme battery life problem. I have had to have this phone replaced 2 times now. All for signal problems. My phone refuses to get signal in my house even though the other two sprint phones do and we have a Airave that is functioning correctly. I went by the Sprint store where the tech told me that since the Epic is on back order they are upgrading me to a Motorola Photon without making me sign another contract. Goodbye Samsung, who was the worst phone maker I have ever experienced.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Lucky you.  no one seemed to care I am stuck with no connection / no signal, not only in my house, but on the road, in the middle of deserpately needing the GPS!!!  constantly getting no connection msgs, even when there is a "good" wifi signal in the area !!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

you should get a real GPS unit, relying on the epic as a gps is a huge mistake as it will not hold a charge for a long trip and IMO plugging it in to a car charger and using GPS is a fire hazarg as mine at least gets very hot.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I love the way the informjation in the links in the first post has been changed on describing what features were included in FC09. Changed after the update was released.

I guess Sprint didnt think anyone would notice that and there sure isnt anything that can be done about it.

A very sneaky if not dishonest thing to do Sprint!

Highlighted
Master

I see the same enhancements/fixes on both the blog and thread. Is this what you are talking about?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat