- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within

approximately 6 weeks

- Refer to the Samsung Epic Software Update blog for install instructions  

- Refer to the Sprint Connections Optimizer blog for more info on this feature

Message was edited by: mapesy who fixed the Sprint Connections Optimizer link

243 REPLIES 243
Highlighted
Journeyman

Indeed.. the Epic4G became a dinosaur around it's 3rd birthday.  It's listed as "out of stock" on the Sprint website and is no longer in my local Sprint store.  Economically Sprint cannot afford to rapidly build a nationwide 4G-LTE network, like its currently doing, and also maintain and support the existing 4G-Wimax contract with its (Clearwire?) provider.  Sprint spent $30million more than it took in, in just the first quarter of 2012 alone.  The company can't continue on this course and sustain itself.  Might be a takeover target if they don't cut costs somehow.  If that happens, goodbye Unlimited Data... it may happen sooner rather than later, from what I'm reading.  It will be a sad day. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

You become elegible 2 months before your contract 2 year aniversary, so for me is a matter of weeks...it cannot come fast enough...  For the better part of the last two years the phone was great but after the last two updates it has degraded significantly.  I hate the connection optimizer so much that I always delete public WiFi so it will not autoconnect.  Come-on - 4G coverage is bad and on top of that in the only place I can get it I get bumped into a slow wifi with a "fair connection". 

Unfortunatedly, phone updates aside, service has degraded quite a bit  and without hope for LTE anytime soon,  I have considered riding it out and jumping ship at the end.

Highlighted

AllenChicago wrote:

Indeed.. the Epic4G became a dinosaur around it's 3rd birthday.  It's listed as "out of stock" on the Sprint website and is no longer in my local Sprint store.  Economically Sprint cannot afford to rapidly build a nationwide 4G-LTE network, like its currently doing, and also maintain and support the existing 4G-Wimax contract with its (Clearwire?) provider.  Sprint spent $30million more than it took in, in just the first quarter of 2012 alone.  The company can't continue on this course and sustain itself.  Might be a takeover target if they don't cut costs somehow.  If that happens, goodbye Unlimited Data... it may happen sooner rather than later, from what I'm reading.  It will be a sad day.

Sprint has said they will continue to support WiMax through 2013. Clearwire is switching to LTE as well eventually. As far as the Epic, it has lasted longer than some other phones (HTC EVO, HTC EVO 3D) most likely due to the fact it had a keyboard. But it is now 2 generations behind and they have to stop support at some point as it becomes no longer worth it to provide updates to a phone fewer and fewer people have. I doubt there will ever be another update for it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy Epic 4G Touch owners who are not happy with the ICS update, follow this link for instructions on how to download Gingerbread OS back onto your phone. It works!  http://www.theandroidsoul.com/restore-epic-4g-touch-with-pre-rooted-stock-gingerbread-firmware-el29/

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got the bad end of the stick with this phone. Had to replace it 3 times in 3 months thanks to physical design flaws and software design flaws. When I went to replace the 3rd time they told me that they can no longer give this phone out and switched me to the Motorla Photon which is an equally shitty phone that was just as out of date at the Epic 4G. I have decided to stay away from both Samsung and Motorola because of how lousy these phones are. I'm looking at the LG Optimus G instead of the Galaxy SIII or the Motorola Photon Q.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I do feel for you I had my epic 4g replaced several times and it never worked right. Every firmware update made thr phone worse. As someone who waS very upset with sprint and samsung I really did not want the galaxy s 3 and I wanted a real keyboard. I just wanted to tell u I did give in and I got the galaxy s3 this phone is the best phone I have ever used. I use every feature and function.  I even got the jelly bean update and it works perfect.  So I know how u feel and i have gone though the same stuff u went through but I'm telling u the galaxy s 3 is great and u will be very happy

Highlighted
Journeyman

THIS PHONE REALLY SUCKS I HATE IT ITS CRASHES THE BRIGHTNESS GET ON AUTOMATIC EVERY HOUR MEMORY CARD SLOT GET HOT WHEN YOU INTRODUCE ANY OTHER MEMERY MORE THAN 8GB IT SO STUPID AND IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE PHONE YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR ALL THE PHONE AND IF YOU WANT TO CANCEL YOU HAVE TO PAY MORE THEN 350$ ITS JUST LIKE WOW THEY JUST DONT KNOW ON HOW TO STEAL MONEY FROM US I HATE THIS PHONE ! I ALSO LOST ALL THE INFO I HAD ON A MEMORY CARD IT SUCKSSS AND SPRINT DOES NOT HELP !

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ask sprint to buy out your contract.  I had the same issues u had. They bought out my contact for 80 so I could get  new phone then  they gave me a 80 $ credit. So the buy out was free my new galaxy s 3 is flawless! !!

Highlighted
Journeyman

ohh really how can i do this ? call costumer service and tell them i want to sell my contract or wat? could you help me? ty

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello scraz10, if you send a private message to me, I can look things over to see if you qualify for an early upgrade. Thank you, Chris.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

why don't you share the joy with us all stuck with this faulty Samsung Epic?

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

How do you mean?

No longer working Community Response.
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat