- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within

approximately 6 weeks

- Refer to the Samsung Epic Software Update blog for install instructions  

- Refer to the Sprint Connections Optimizer blog for more info on this feature

Message was edited by: mapesy who fixed the Sprint Connections Optimizer link

243 REPLIES 243
Highlighted
Journeyman

What is the timeframe for this update?  Haven't received it yet.

EDIT: Nevermind, just re-read original post.  6 weeks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Question with Sprint Connection Optimizer how can we get info to what Phones would be able to be on a call and also be able to use data? Still Using
EL122 and don't want to update software unless I know it will be worth it and that in My Opinion will be worth be upgrading to FC09

Highlighted

LR3799 wrote:

Question with Sprint Connection Optimizer how can we get info to what Phones would be able to be on a call and also be able to use data? Still Using
EL122 and don't want to update software unless I know it will be worth it and that in My Opinion will be worth be upgrading to FC09

Your question doesn't have anything to do with the connection optimizer. The connection optimizer just choses you best data connection (4G, wifi or 3G) automatically for you without having to turn each one on or off on your own and manually connect.

You can use 4G or wifi data on a call. You cannot use 3G / 1x data on any phone on Sprint while on a call due to the CDMA techonolgy used.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can you Look at the Link above where it has what the Optimizer will do in there it States that On Some Phones Via Wifi You Can be on a Call and Surf the Web...So My question does Have to do with the Optimizer Connection because thats where it was stated and thats where I saw it. Thanks

Highlighted

No, it doesn't have anything to do with the connection optimizer. You can do it now...and always have been able to do it on the Epic and pretty much any other phone that has wifi.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks I never knew that, I just tried it and it worked Lolz. So in your opinion do you feel its a good thing to do these ota updates? I liked the layout of the EL30 except for the fact of not being able to scroll on the home screen which I Like. Also EL30 would eat up my battery so went back to EL122 which just freezes a lot. So would like your opinion 

Highlighted

I'm curious to know as to what you mean by "scroll on the home screen". Are you talking about the wallpaper? As far as battery life I haven't seen much difference between EI22, EL30 and FC09. I get about the same on all of them. There were definitely some improvements and fixes made in both, but nothing huge. I like always having the latest update as most of the time there are small performance improvements and bugs fixed. EL30 removed some software called Carrier IQ which was found to be able to basically spy on everything you did on your phone. According to the company that made it and Sprint, they were just collecting network data, but it was found it could collect far more information than that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So you got FC09 OTA?  You're the first posting I seen anywhere that has this update.  Just curious as to who else may have gotten this update since it's announcement.  Not much chatter about anyone getting it yet.  Thanks for all your good advise on this forum.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey, Yes when it comes to the Scrolling I was referring to the wallpaper on the home screen. I have wallpapers that the pictures extend so with El30 it only stays on the front of the picture so you can't see the whole picture. Even with the Live Wallpapers that don't pan. As for the Battery El30 Burned through my battery, With EL122 it lasts me atleast 24hrs with use of Bluetooth, Voice calls, Sms, and Some use of Internet . With El30 not even a full day. Coasterphotos Your phone received the Fc09 update? I'm asking because noone has posted any info about it like they usually do with ota updates on the Forums. Thank You for the Info     

Highlighted
Journeyman

Two-part question:

1 - When will Sprint rollout the latest update for Samsung Epic 4G to my area (Northeast, New Jersey)? 

2 - Will this new update allow "scrollable" wallpapers?

Thank You.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Scrollable wallpapers used to work on my previous GB, EL22. When you go to the next home screen, you see the next section of the wallpaper. It pans across from region to region. Only works if you select "scrollable" in your wallpaper app setting. I hope the new FC09 update brings scroolable wallpapeer back. Good Luck.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So I got the update with the paragraph explaination about the Connection optomizer.  However it does not appear to be doing anything.  I have WIFI profiles for work home and school. I visited all of them and no change to the networks.

How does this thing work?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat