- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within

approximately 6 weeks

- Refer to the Samsung Epic Software Update blog for install instructions  

- Refer to the Sprint Connections Optimizer blog for more info on this feature

Message was edited by: mapesy who fixed the Sprint Connections Optimizer link

243 REPLIES 243
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi so you did install the update, are there any changes that you've notice as in the way it Looks, Freezing, They did say that it will have some sort of ICS features so just wondering if You Noticed Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

Fred thats one of the reasons I went back to E122 was the Scrollable Wallpapers, But I doubt that FC09 will bring it back, it has to do with a Lawsuit With Apple. Thats why the App Icons look different because the one on E122 Apple says it looked to much like their layout. One of the reasons of me wanting to update CoasterPhotos Answered so Not Sure if Updating to FC09 is Necessary. I'm in New York so if Your phone hasn't received the FC09 I doubt in New York they have either

Highlighted

59880 wrote:

So I got the update with the paragraph explaination about the Connection optomizer.  However it does not appear to be doing anything.  I have WIFI profiles for work home and school. I visited all of them and no change to the networks.

How does this thing work?

Supposedly if you have Wifi, 4G and 3G all turned on, the connection optimzier will automatically choose the best option for you.

Highlighted

LR3799 wrote:

Hi so you did install the update, are there any changes that you've notice as in the way it Looks, Freezing, They did say that it will have some sort of ICS features so just wondering if You Noticed Thanks

Other than a couple bug fixes, the only noticeable change is the addition of the connection optimizer. There are no ICS features added and there won't be. Samsung retracted that plan several months back.

Highlighted

fredmarcano wrote:

Two-part question:

1 - When will Sprint rollout the latest update for Samsung Epic 4G to my area (Northeast, New Jersey)? 

2 - Will this new update allow "scrollable" wallpapers?

Thank You.

The rollout has nothing to do with location. It is more or less randomly distributed by Google's server. Some people seem to think it helps to download items from the market to trigger the server to recognize your phone and offer the update sooner.

No, no scrollable wallpapers. Probably gone for good thanks to Apple.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is there a fix in this release for the Install encrypted certficates.  Currently this feature does not recognize SD card

Highlighted
Journeyman

In reguards to the ics features, someone posted a link which says about an update having ics features for the epic. The link states that it was rolled out in korea so should be coming to US. I know ics won't come to epic so was just wondering if this was true or not it was posted here on the discussion forum

Highlighted

LR3799 wrote:

In reguards to the ics features, someone posted a link which says about an update having ics features for the epic. The link states that it was rolled out in korea so should be coming to US. I know ics won't come to epic so was just wondering if this was true or not it was posted here on the discussion forum

Samsung said it won't be available on US phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is anyone having an issue after installing FC09 with losing all Internet Connectivity on your Epic 4G? Since installing FC09 last week Friday, I have been unable to surf the web or use any application that requires an internet connection (Facebook, Words with Friends, etc.) I spoke to Sprint on the phone for an hour to no avail. I have a ticket to go to a repair center, but want to avoid it, if someone knows of a fix. I can access the internet when I use the WiFi on the phone, but it does not work with 3G or 4G connections.

Highlighted
Journeyman

comptechtchr the FC09 update not alot of people have received the update as of yet, this is just a guess but I'm thinking the update has teh Connection Optimizer so maybe if you was to turn this option off if possible you will be able to get your regular usage of data..The Optimizer chooses what connection to use whether it be 3g,4g, or Wifi in reguards to service and battery consumption so maybe it thinks that Wifi wherever your phone is at is best?? So Maybe that can be an option to turn it off....CoasterPhoto I did the El30 update again because I read a review where it stated that it stops the cursor from jumping and missing letters..So Far so Good My problem though is the battery consumption that this update seems to need...Once again I feel its a battery Hog but I'm going to see, I just installed it this morning but had a full battery before Installation it went down to 77% made a call, stopped active apps and just in that time it went down 73% and so on..so basically i put it to charge again had a full charge my battery is down to 68 but thats with me using bluetooth calls and going on youtube just to see usage and battery life

Highlighted
Journeyman

LR3799 - I tried turning off the Connection Optimizer. First there is no way to shut it off except to Force Stop it. Second, I do not have WiFi on and am only using 3G or 4G. I think however you are right that the problem may exist with Connection Optimizer. I should have never accepted that option during the upgrade. Let this be a warning to all of you getting FC09. UNCHECK THE CONNECTION OPTIMIZER OPTION DURING INSTALL!

Highlighted

comptechtchr wrote:

LR3799 - I tried turning off the Connection Optimizer. First there is no way to shut it off except to Force Stop it. Second, I do not have WiFi on and am only using 3G or 4G. I think however you are right that the problem may exist with Connection Optimizer. I should have never accepted that option during the upgrade. Let this be a warning to all of you getting FC09. UNCHECK THE CONNECTION OPTIMIZER OPTION DURING INSTALL!

I don't have my Epic any more so I don't remember the exact location, but in the settings you will find the settings for the connection optimizer...the same screen you saw when the update installed...and you can uncheck the box. If you uncheck the box when the update installs, it still installs the connection optimizer, just doesn't enable it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat