cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

now that you mention it, yes...I don't have it either.

and I just noticed that if the phone is powered down and fully charges, then you do get the blue led indicating its done...but if its on and fully charged, you get nothing...no led indicator. the 100% icon is there at the top of course, but thats it.

sheesh...i've been doing SW and stuff for 30 years and they break something this rudimentary in an update and don't notice it?

pretty lame Samsung/Sprint...not good at all nor impressed

Highlighted
Wizard

Finally got the OTA update on May 11.  I wasn't in a hurry as my phone wasn't doing the FC anymore once I trimmed down the 'Reject with Message' list.  I'm running stock with barely any 3rd-party apps and have been manually managing the radio connections just fine.

Well, the phone is totally screwed up now.  I disabled the new Optimizer option so it shouldn't be running, but something is definitely running (can't see it via Task Manager), but the phone is freezing up at least once a day (multiple times per day is not uncommon), the battery is draining terribly fast (with minimal use, 3-4 hours then I get the charge notification screen where it would freeze and require battery pull), random restarts on its own (not quite once a day) and then there's the restarting after I manually power off hence requiring effort to power off again. 

I am quite disappointed and sad because I love this phone and Android, to see how Sprint and Samsung have royally screwed up the phone and Android this way.  <face palm> 

I almost feel like this is a ploy from Sprint and Samsung to get me (people) to buy new phones.

Time for a Factory Reset (again).

Highlighted

badankles wrote:

Finally got the OTA update on May 11.  I wasn't in a hurry as my phone wasn't doing the FC anymore once I trimmed down the 'Reject with Message' list.  I'm running stock with barely any 3rd-party apps and have been manually managing the radio connections just fine.

Well, the phone is totally screwed up now.  I disabled the new Optimizer option so it shouldn't be running, but something is definitely running (can't see it via Task Manager), but the phone is freezing up at least once a day (multiple times per day is not uncommon), the battery is draining terribly fast (with minimal use, 3-4 hours then I get the charge notification screen where it would freeze and require battery pull), random restarts on its own (not quite once a day) and then there's the restarting after I manually power off hence requiring effort to power off again. 

I am quite disappointed and sad because I love this phone and Android, to see how Sprint and Samsung have royally screwed up the phone and Android this way.  <face palm> 

I almost feel like this is a ploy from Sprint and Samsung to get me (people) to buy new phones.

When things like this happen they are usually caused by a poorly written app that is installed...which is why resetting the phone helps. It deletes all the apps and their data. This can and does happen to people on any android phone on any carrier. Everyone blames the manufacturer or the carrier when lots of times it is because of the apps installed. I've run into many problems that in the end I determined to be caused by apps and had to eliminate which one by reinstalling them one by one.

There would be no reason for Sprint to want people to buy new phones. They lose money on every one they sell unless you actually by them at full price without the contract.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I still haven't installed the recent update and the constant pop up notifications telling me to do so has finally stopped.

I haven't installed any apps, other than what came on the phone and I've had nothing but problems with the updates in the past. I can see some isolated issues due to third part apps, but the problems are far too wide spread for that to be the primary reason.

To be honest, I haven't noticed a single improvement after any update. They don't seem to fix anything, but they certainly do create more problems.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok on the last update I wiped my phone for that very reason, and you know what it still rebooted randomly froze up every there times I woke the phone up. And any time anybody called me I got a forced closed error! I get this new update now it shuts down for dead battery and its on the charger showing 100%. I click on the message button to text my wife and it opens my email and these icons are on separate pages! Or it reboots when I'm talking on the phone. And still the only apps on my phone are the ones that are factory installed since I got tired of starting over everytime I update this phone. Sooooooo what you was saying about faulty apps? Even trying to type this with swype is a pain because the cursor won't line up the arrow when I try to correct a spelling error.  So I guess sprint needs to really double check who they package in their software. And if you are wondering my phone is not our never has been rooted.

Highlighted

Beldengold wrote:

Ok on the last update I wiped my phone for that very reason, and you know what it still rebooted randomly froze up every there times I woke the phone up. And any time anybody called me I got a forced closed error! I get this new update now it shuts down for dead battery and its on the charger showing 100%. I click on the message button to text my wife and it opens my email and these icons are on separate pages! Or it reboots when I'm talking on the phone. And still the only apps on my phone are the ones that are factory installed since I got tired of starting over everytime I update this phone. Sooooooo what you was saying about faulty apps? Even trying to type this with swype is a pain because the cursor won't line up the arrow when I try to correct a spelling error.  So I guess sprint needs to really double check who they package in their software. And if you are wondering my phone is not our never has been rooted.

If you wiped your phone and still have issues then you most likely have a hardware issue that won't be solved by an update or corrected by a wipe. With as many problems as you are having, there is probably something else going on with it other than software.

Highlighted

DefZenMaster wrote:

I still haven't installed the recent update and the constant pop up notifications telling me to do so has finally stopped.

I haven't installed any apps, other than what came on the phone and I've had nothing but problems with the updates in the past. I can see some isolated issues due to third part apps, but the problems are far too wide spread for that to be the primary reason.

To be honest, I haven't noticed a single improvement after any update. They don't seem to fix anything, but they certainly do create more problems.

If you've had the phone since the beginning there have been 2 huge updates that added a lot of features and changed a lot. EC05 on 3/21/11 upgraded the OS from Eclair to Froyo and EI22 on 11/09/11 upgraded the OS from Froyo to Gingerbread. Other than that, all the other updates have been bug fixes which may or may not be noticeable if you weren't having any problems. Unless you were having incoming call force close issues on EL30 then nothing will be noticed with FC09.

Highlighted
Wizard

coasterphotos wrote:

badankles wrote:

When things like this happen they are usually caused by a poorly written app that is installed...which is why resetting the phone helps. It deletes all the apps and their data. This can and does happen to people on any android phone on any carrier. Everyone blames the manufacturer or the carrier when lots of times it is because of the apps installed. I've run into many problems that in the end I determined to be caused by apps and had to eliminate which one by reinstalling them one by one.

There would be no reason for Sprint to want people to buy new phones. They lose money on every one they sell unless you actually by them at full price without the contract.

I would agree with you if I had installed any 3rd-party apps after the OTA FC09 update, but I haven't.  I would agree with you if I had all these problems prior to the OTA FC09 update, but I didn't.  Yeah, it might have been a stretch to assumed Sprint/Samsung did anything shady other than sending a code change because I can't prove anything.  Frustrated that a supposedly minor update/bug fix actually screwed up the phone instead of fixing or enhancing it.

Highlighted

badankles wrote:

I would agree with you if I had installed any 3rd-party apps after the OTA FC09 update, but I haven't.  I would agree with you if I had all these problems prior to the OTA FC09 update, but I didn't.  Yeah, it might have been a stretch to assumed Sprint/Samsung did anything shady other than sending a code change because I can't prove anything.  Frustrated that a supposedly minor update/bug fix actually screwed up the phone instead of fixing or enhancing it.

If there was a major problem with the update then EVERYONE would be having problems. But everyone isn't. So either something happend during the update to your phone or something in a setting or app data is corrupted somewhere. I saw no difference on my Epic with FC09. Nothing better, nothing worse.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Honestly you can't speak everyone unless you personally contacted everyone that owns a epic 4g. When I went to sprint with my phone and they told me it was common problem with this phone. But I can only speak for myself.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seriously?!?  Another update, more problems!

First major update broke being able to adjust in-call volume.

Second major update didn't fix in-call volume problem and introduced screen dimming problem.  I can hold the phone in the same spot or put it on a table and the brightness goes in and out constantly, which makes it irritating to read anything on the phone.

Last update didn't fix in-call volume problem, didn't fix screen dimming problem, and now has introduced a new problem.  I don't get the flashing red LED, when I have an email, etc.

It seems like that Sprint and/or Samsung is doing this to make us upgrade our phones to newer phones.  I will be, although it will probably be with a different carrier if they don't get these issues and all of the other issues listed in the forum fixed.  I currently have 5 lines/phones with Sprint and would like to stay, but they are pushing my hand.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Since the update, my Epic is constantly scanning for WI FI networks, even when connected to one. It is reducing my battery life about 4 hours. I have Network Notification turned off and it is still constantly scanning.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat