cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Upload Capped - Thread 2

Highlighted
Wizard

3G Upload Capped - Thread 2

This thread is being opened as a continuation of the '3G Upload Capped' thread that has been locked.

Here's a link to the locked thread: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/218310#218310

111 REPLIES 111
Highlighted
Journeyman

seems like sprint screwed up, 30 days wasn't up so they have to delay a day.

Highlighted
Journeyman

no need for flame retardant, I'm not one to take differences of opinion personally.  I simply assumed that with as many VIEWS as this post has, plus people who watch/subscribe without posting someone should have it by now.  I could be wrong, but nobody on xda has posted anything either.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, no news from anyone at Android Central or Android Forums either.....hmmmm.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Agreed - it is *very* unfortunate that the "squeaky wheels" couldn't somehow get the first shot of "grease"...

It's almost "go time" in the central time zone, I'm afraid...

I really had high hopes that *something* reassuring would happen today...

...that at least someone else, if not me, would be getting the update and reporting it to be a good "fix" for this issue.

My stomach is in a knot right now, and I've been neurotically refreshing this board and my phone all day long, over and over...

I wouldn't have ANY of this stress, if not for the "30-day limit"... but today is the day.

When I leave work 40 minutes from now, I will have to spend my evening visiting AT&T (to port my number back over), and then the SPRINT store, to turn these phones back in to them.

I'm actually pretty sad about this.

But I have to tell myself that it is NOT worth being locked into an "unknown"/"unsure" scenario for the next 2 years.

(and there is some "sketchiness" in the history of the Samsung Moment phone support, which tilts against just "having good faith"...)

If I read these forums at a later date, and the major bugs on the Epic (or its service?) are ironed out... then who knows, I *may* be back...

OR, something else may catch my eye by then... who knows?

That is the unfortunate fallout for Sprint/Samsung because the update is unfortunately just a little too little, and a little to late.

Please, I would love it if something comes through in the "ZERO HOUR", here... give me a sign, or some proof, that someone got this update/fix.

I'm not trying to be uppity by "walking"... but I would really have to see some sign of "progress" before this deadline.

I'm just afraid now that it is not going to happen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

" This push is actually coming from Google."

Why would the push come from Google ?  The problem of 3G speed is not Android issue, the towers that will distribute the file are also not Googles.

This sounds wrong on every level.

Highlighted
Journeyman

gunkldunk--

I feel your pain.  I am/was in a similar situation but my return date deadline was Oct. 6th.  I am the one that reported earlier today that my phone miraculously/magically started working correctly without the 150kbps upload cap.  There are probably only a few that believe me and I myself was skeptic of some earlier posts on the former thread about others not having the cap on their phones.  I know this has to be a network/system cap that Sprint has control over because I DID NOT APPLY any updates to my phone this morning prior to the cap being lifted.  I still feel like Sprint still has some cap in place because the fastest upload I am getting is around 400kbps, none the less, something out of my control and behind the scenes changed this morning for me.  I am hoping that any software update that Sprint pushes out will increase my upload speeds even more.  I know, I am one of the rare, select few that have seen the upload speeds increase beyond the 150kbps cap and I can't explain it but hopefully Sprint is making changes that will eventually roll out to everyone across the nation that is experiencing this problem.  I am just relieved that I will not have to make that last second gut decision on whether to return this phone and move on to another carrier.

Highlighted
Journeyman

VR_4 wrote:

Why would the push come from Google ?  The problem of 3G speed is not Android issue, the towers that will distribute the file are also not Googles.

Because, if I am not mistaken, Google has to test and "sign" or "authenticate" every software update for every Android device and then Google pushes out the updates. This is done to ensure the many Google apps will actually work with the newest updates. If the Google apps cannot authenticate your phone as a "legit" Android device, features such as the Market and Navigation might stop working.

Highlighted
Journeyman

UFLG8R wrote:

VR_4 wrote:

Because, if I am not mistaken, Google has to test and "sign" or "authenticate" every software update for every Android device and then Google pushes out the updates. This is done to ensure the many Google apps will actually work with the newest updates. If the Google apps cannot authenticate your phone as a "legit" Android device, features such as the Market and Navigation might stop working.

I'm not saying this isn't true, but how would Google have access to Sprint's network though?

That is like giving Google keys to Sprint's car.  I would agree Android updates may need authenticated, but Google has no cellular network, so it would just be handed back to Sprint for the update to be pushed through the system with Google's stamp of approval.

Highlighted
Journeyman

AndroidEpicOrEvo wrote:

I'm not saying this isn't true, but how would Google have access to Sprint's network though?

That is like giving Google keys to Sprint's car.  I would agree Android updates may need authenticated, but Google has no cellular network, so it would just be handed back to Sprint for the update to be pushed through the system with Google's stamp of approval.

Simple... all android devices are programmed to phone home (home being google not sprint) and check for updates every now and then. Google simply throws the signed update package onto their own servers, your phone checks in and sees the update available, your phone stages the zip file to a temp directory on the phone in the background and reboots into recovery mode to execute the update once its ready.

Highlighted
Journeyman

7:50 PM.  Still nothing.  .  (A useless post but I want to keep getting notifications of contributions to the thread).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I heard the last update (107) went from West to East. Not sure if that's true or not but there doesn't appear to be any joy on the left coast yet either. Nothing in NH........

Highlighted
Journeyman

I returned my phone literally hours before the release was announced. felt bad this morning, now, not so much. Glad I have a chance to make the decision to go back, or wait for the next greatest.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat