cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Upload Capped - Thread 2

Highlighted
Wizard

3G Upload Capped - Thread 2

This thread is being opened as a continuation of the '3G Upload Capped' thread that has been locked.

Here's a link to the locked thread: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/218310#218310

111 REPLIES 111
Highlighted
Wizard

As you all have noticed, Google has released the push:).  Doubt I have to say this, but please post back here and let us know your results.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Got impatient and downloaded the update file from xda, renamed to update.zip and copied to the card, rebooted into recovery mode and updated th DI18 that way...    while the dowloads are a little more erratic, sometimes being as low as 100kb/s and high as 700kb/s, the uploads are averaging around 500kb/s and holding steady, sometimes a little higher, sometimes a little lower.

Havent tried to upload a large(ish) file though to see if it is still bogging down while uploading though...

Update: just sent myself a 4MB mp3 file from my phone through GMail to another email account and it didnt seem to bog down in the slightest, and it only took about a minute to complete. So as far as upload issues go, it seems to have been fixed...   The only downside is that before I installed the update, the download would almost always be atleast 400kb/s or higher and sometimes peak at about 1.2mb/s, almost every speedtest I have run so far has been about 200 or lower, except for a few reaching 650-700, but then again, have only had the update for a little bit and the download may just be low this time of day in my area.

Update 2: After a few more tests, changing the server I use for the speedtest, it is sporadic at best... there seem to be 3 types of results. (the following are appoximations for illustrative purposes)

1. slow download (100-250kb/s) and fast upload (500-900kb/s) Omaha, NE to KC, MO  (highest reading of 978 up, but only 230 down)

2. mediocre download and upload (200-300kb/s down, 150-300kb/s up) Omaha, NE to Norfolk, NE

3. fast download (500-700kb/s) and slow upload (50-150kb/s) Omaha, NE to Sioux City, IA

In other words, due to the time of day (more traffice in general) and the variation of results from different servers, I am happy with the '3g upload' fix, especially since it doesnt grind everything else to a halt when uploading something.

Message was edited by: koadic1605

Highlighted
Journeyman

My phone is hanging when trying to update the modem, the progress bar has not moved in the past hour. Any help?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Manually patched from XDA, but upload speed is now a blazing 671k and download at 1380 in Little Rock, AR

Highlighted
Journeyman

I downloaded the upgrade from xda and applied it using recovery mode (power off then: down volume + camera + power) and I'm getting faster than ever uploads. It looks like this fix is the real deal! Sweet! It's like Christmas in October!

My previous fastest upload was 172, I just went outside and got 477 up, 803 down with a ping of 108ms. Me likey! People are reporting the large file upload is working perfectly too (no stutter during music playback or hot cpu). Thanks Sprint for coming through for us!

P.S. I have the Joey Krim root but everything else is stock and the upgrade went perfectly and I'm still rooted.

Message was edited by: robrob141

Highlighted
Journeyman

daazncandyman wrote:

My phone is hanging when trying to update the modem, the progress bar has not moved in the past hour. Any help?

Are you running a stock rom? If not you should try the update modified for non-stock phones

Highlighted
Journeyman

Firon just released a modified version of the update that will go through even with a highly modified kernel and deleted apps. See the first post on the xda thread referenced earlier in this thread.

It looks like all this buzz has overloaded the xda servers so don't freak if you can't get the site to come up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, non-rooted, stock kernel. Everything is stock

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just installed the update from the file posted over at XDA.

First test, I got about 1600kbps down and 220 up, next test about a mile away I got 880kbps down and 660 up!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Any more tests??  Is that it??   Upload problem is fixed, nobody give a sh!t anymore?

If anyone else can confirm the udate/fix, the rest of us would sure appreciate it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

At home just got 931 down 672 up (not fantastic, but shows cap is gone)

And I can play mp3s without stuttering while doing so

So....yea, I'd say its fixed.  Not crazy about them releasing with that issue but hey, its fixed right?

Highlighted
Journeyman

There have been a couple of people that say their speeds are still low after the update but that could be related to having the wrong kerel. The vast majority have been fixed and I think everyone is checking this thread and seeing that the fix has been confirmed and not bothering to post.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat