cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Upload Capped - Thread 2

Highlighted
Wizard

3G Upload Capped - Thread 2

This thread is being opened as a continuation of the '3G Upload Capped' thread that has been locked.

Here's a link to the locked thread: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/218310#218310

111 REPLIES 111
Highlighted
Journeyman

I finally got the update this morning. Upload speed looks good.

I do not know if it is the result of this update or the last one, but I am noticing that I am getting a GPS fix almost instantly now (using GPS test). When I first got the Epic it took forever to lock on, especially in my house. This morning it was almost instant and I checked it a few time along the way to work. Accuracy still shows a constant 98 feet or yards or whatever, but the initial fix is very quick.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also got the update this morning. For some reason download speeds suck now. But upload works great!

I'll have to try in a different location. I'm at my office and we only have a Sprint signal here because we have a repeater on the roof. There might be something screwy with it. I'll test again when I'm somewhere that has a real tower signal.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Upon further testing, this is a little frustrating / depressing. 

Although the upload speed is no longer obviously limited in some artificial way, it is still consistently slower than other devices (Evo & TP2) but the upload speeds are now acceptable.

The issue now (aside from the maddening GPS) seems to be VERY inconsistent 3G download speeds and unfortunately, more often than not, download speeds slower than upload speeds (very strange and something I’ve never seen before on any device.) It is not an artificial limit, I have seen very good (over 1.3M) 3G download speeds, but very often I’m seeing 200kbs or less, sometimes even below 50kbs. I don’t know if this needs a new thread and have not yet found a very repeatable description (like we had with the upload speed limit). But I can say that in the same location at the same time, the Evo & TP2 consistently and reliably have better 3G download speeds than the Epic (often better by 4 to 5 times or more.)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Although the upload speed is no longer obviously limited in some artificial way, it is still consistently slower than other devices (Evo & TP2) but the upload speeds are now acceptable

I would wait a little while to test only because a lot of people may be doing the same and overloading Sprint's network.  I am seeing the exact same thing with my download speeds.  Around 600kbps on average, but never higher than 700 for downloads.  Uploads are between 200 and 400 kbps now.  I've tried from various locations and signal levels ranging from 1 to 5 bars.  The values are all over the place for download and yes, I've seen it as low as 50kbps multiple times in a row.  I was pretty upset a day prior to the announcement that they would be issuing a fix for the upload problem since mine was seemingly uncapped, then recapped after a day and a half.  I guess we all need to just sit tight and relax, they seem to be doing something about the problems.  Overall, I am very pleased with the phone now that I can log into work and RDP to the machines that need fixing.  Bye bye laptop.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seems to be network, not phone - See http://www.bitshop.com/Blogs/tabid/95/EntryId/99/Epics-upload-speed-on-3g-fixed-Comparison-to-EVO-an... for side by side comparison of Moment, EVO, and Epic - All tests done simultaneously with phones all within a foot of each other.

The Epic will still slowest, but wasn't out of line with the others anymore.

There's likely a LOT of people doing speed tests on all phones, once some of the chatter about speed dies down the Sprint network is likely plenty fast again - We're all adding quite a bit of bandwidth to the cell towers with so many people doing speed tests (much more than most people would usually go through).

Steve Radich

Highlighted
Journeyman

theporri wrote:

I would wait a little while to test only because a lot of people may be doing the same and overloading Sprint's network.

Ok, but how does that explain my Evo and TP2 speeds?  They are working fine, it is only my Epic that is having the problem.  I place the three of them side by side on the table and have tried running the tests at the exact same time and staggering (starting one right after the other, just in case they were interfering with each other.)  I've tried this at home, in my office and in-between in my car.  I've not yet run an exhaustive set of tests, but about a dozen and I've seen everything from 1.3M to 50k down on the Epic, where the Evo and TP2 are as they have always been between 600k and 1.6M.

I understand the disclaimer that network speeds will vary.  What I don't understand is why they vary so much more to the low side on the Epic than on the Evo and TP2 at the same location at the same time in the same conditions. It’s just too consistent to be a general speed issue with the network. If that were the case, why do the Evo and TP2 have better results every time (so far on my small sample set.)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just received the update on one of our two phones.  I know we were all posting our locations, and I am in Florida, but the Sprint Admin did mention that it is not released by location but that many users would receive the update today.  Well, I have received it and it appears to have solved the upload cap.  I'll keep an eye on the other fixes and await the update to our other phone.  It's coming folks....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Received the update on our second phone, working well on it as well.  Speed tests show similar results.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Still nothing.  Has everyone else gotten their's?  Someone said that the stores get the update "several days after it is released."  Were I to call a store, what exactly would I ask for?  If I asked if they had the "latest update" and they didn't know about DI18, they'd say yes, anyway.  I don't have a lot faith in the smarts of the personnel of Sprint stores, I am sorry to say.

Fwiw, my GPS has worked perfectly since day one, without me having to change anything.  The update will probably fix it so that will no longer be so.  Well, I'll fight that one when I get to it.  In the meantime, I want my update to cure the upload speed problem.

Message was edited by: poteen00

Highlighted
Wizard

The stores won't have this update yet.  I'm going to give it another day or so before I get too concerned about not receiving the OTA push.

Highlighted
Journeyman

poteen00 wrote:

Still nothing.  Has everyone else gotten their's?

Message was edited by: poteen00

1/3 mine have gotten them OTA and I'm too impatient so I updated my 1/3 about nine seconds after I opened the box. 1/3 is still waiting. Again, dshoe mentioned that geographic location had nothing to do with it, but I'm in Cincinnati. I bought these Saturday Oct 2nd and switched to Sprint service at that time... my last name is H... my favorite color is green... and I prefer Bud Light over Miller Lite... so... deduce from all that whatever you want

Certainly you'd think there's gotta be some sort of algorithm, but I personally haven't noticed any patterns or rhyme or reason as to which phone gets it when.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Still pisses me off that my coworker's Fascinate is getting consistently better download and upload speeds. Why did Sprint screw this phone up so badly?

At least the update let's me get slightly better upload speeds. Sigh.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat