cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Upload Capped?

Journeyman

Re: 3G Upload Capped?

I have the same problem with capped upload speed with my Epic as well as a few other issues since the last update. I am considering returning the Epic but I am not sure what to get in its place. I already tried the Evo and thought the screen quality was poor and completely unusable outdoors and it also had its share of software bugs. I don't want to switch to VZW and pay their ridiculous prices and AT&T network problems keep me away from them. So, it seems the only options are to keep the Epic or go back to my old BlackBerry...not the best of choices.

Journeyman

Yes, I posted the picture of my Epic and a Sprint Store demo Evo side-by-side.

I ran the speed test at least 10 times side-by-side there, and my Epic consistently got capped under 150kbps, while their demo Evo did not.

(Also, their demo Epic had shown the same capped behavior as my Epic, although I did not take pictures of it.)

SO... from my observations, without knowing or getting into technical details, there are still only a few *general* possibilities:

1) there is something wrong with the HARDWARE of the Epic

2) there is something wrong with the SOFTWARE of the Epic

3) there is something in the Sprint network that singles out the Epic and intentionally/accidentally(?) caps 3G upload at around 150kbps

If someone from Samsung and/or Sprint would just step up and tell us if it's scenario 1, 2, or 3, then that would be a start.

It shouldn't be that difficult for someone up high to at least determine if it is general scenario 1, 2, or 3 - and then once we all know what the *general* issue is, we can all be a lot more informed about how we each want to proceed.

If someone does not come forward soon and at least tell us the general issue, then they are intentionally keeping us in the dark.

I'm understanding if they say the FIX will take a little while longer... but at least someone fess up to what is the GENERAL ISSUE.

Please & thank you.

Journeyman

Here is my speedtest output (see attached jpg).

Note that Speedtest output (save as csv then import into excel--divide the upload and download numbers by 1,000,000 and you have mbps) overreports steadily (compared with the handset output) by about 28%.  My guess is that it logs the maximum but displays the second-to-maximum (or something like that).

On thing we can learn is that the cap does not have anything to do with capacity. I work in downtown Cincinnati and downloads are bad during the work day and then get better when I work at night.  Uploads do not fluctuate likewise.  They stay at that cap of 150kbps (displayed on handset; 192kbps from the log).

If this were due to capacity then the uploads to download ratio would remain static.  Instead, the download rate varies far more than the upload does.  In other words, the two measures are independent of one another.  This is especially noticable when the upload ceiling is hit--downloads fluctuate and it remains more or less static.  (See it?  The red line at a large blue spike is at the same height as the red line at a small blue spike.)

This is not due to the update because this graph has both pre-and post-update information (earliest data is left-most, update was done at test # 35 along the x-axis).  No difference that I can see.  The cap has been there the whole time.

I think I will take this post to the Sprint store with me tonight. 

Journeyman

gunkldunk wrote:

Yes, I posted the picture of my Epic and a Sprint Store demo Evo side-by-side.

I ran the speed test at least 10 times side-by-side there, and my Epic consistently got capped under 150kbps, while their demo Evo did not.

(Also, their demo Epic had shown the same capped behavior as my Epic, although I did not take pictures of it.)

SO... from my observations, without knowing or getting into technical details, there are still only a few *general* possibilities:

1) there is something wrong with the HARDWARE of the Epic

2) there is something wrong with the SOFTWARE of the Epic

3) there is something in the Sprint network that singles out the Epic and intentionally/accidentally(?) caps 3G upload at around 150kbps

If someone from Samsung and/or Sprint would just step up and tell us if it's scenario 1, 2, or 3, then that would be a start.

It shouldn't be that difficult for someone up high to at least determine if it is general scenario 1, 2, or 3 - and then once we all know what the *general* issue is, we can all be a lot more informed about how we each want to proceed.

If someone does not come forward soon and at least tell us the general issue, then they are intentionally keeping us in the dark.

I'm understanding if they say the FIX will take a little while longer... but at least someone fess up to what is the GENERAL ISSUE.

Please & thank you.

I can confirm it is not number 3. When my phone is roaming on Verizon (old Alltel SID 53, so I get EVDO roaming), my upload speeds are still capped at 150.

Journeyman

After issues with the slider having too much play and some issue with responsiveness of the buttons and screen, this capped upload speed was the straw that broke the camels back. After work yesterday I went to the local Sprint store and returned my Epic. I love that thing too. I thought I had finally found a phone I could deal with for 2 years but all these little things just amounted to too much frustration. Plus Samsung's horrible track record for providing updates and fixes for their phones, I just couldn't take it anymore. What really sucks is I cut ties with AT&T so at the end of this month I won't even have a phone. I'm real tempted to get a EVO, but I'm not digging how Sprint is handling or rather not handling this whole upload data speed cap thing. (Also I hear the EVO build quality is kind of sucky too.) Kind of shady. Maybe I'll just have to go to Verizon and get one of those dreadful Droid phones.

Message was edited by: oldboyandy

Journeyman

I am not cutting them any slack.  I am in the sprint store right now and just finished the testing and dealt with the tech support guy over the phone as well.  He had definitive word for me.  Sprint and Samsung have both gotten together to research the issue.  He says knowing how long these things take, it could be 30-45 more days.  I explained that based on the testing performed with the Evo and Epic side by side, it can't be the towers.  He did indicate that the PRLs are different for each phone and that based on the PRL, the tower could be capping DATA Roaming.  He also said that it COULD BE that it was set up incorrectly and that when the PRL is updated, that can cause the bad PRL to cap the Epic EVEN THOUGH the Epic may not be roaming.  Look at it this way:

You are roaming on VZW

Sprint has a Data Roaming Cap set on the PRL for Epics

The PRL was set up incorrectly so that all phones (Epic; roaming or not) have this cap.....

Now, that does make sense.....BUT, regardless of what his point was or what lines he was feeding me, what I WANTED to hear was that OUR VOICES were heard and that Sprint and Samsung recognize this as an issue and are CURRENTLY working on a fix.  He noted that he informed him of my PRL update issue and that they are going to test that to see if that fixes it.

In the meantime, like I said, just hang in there.  This is like when the Evo first launched, the battery would die in a few hours.  A few weeks later, Evo owners received an update that resolved the issue.  I spent 45 minutes with the Manager here at the repair center and a total of 45 minutes on the phone with the tech support guy.  Between the two of them, word has gotten out, and I have gotten a response.  Or, I could've just sat there and called customer service.  I am glad I took the extra time.  The upload speed doesn't bother me either way.  I was just talking to them to try to get more information for everyone else here.

Rich

Highlighted
Journeyman

The post below shows how confused some people are. the person first posted 4g test. Now they are repeating, and I hate to say this, nonsense. It is not tower overload. That has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt with every side by side test of Epic and Evo showing Evo getting 2 to almost 4x the upload speed. It has nothing to do with tower overloads .

The poster below confused the tech with incorrect information or the tech was confused and doesn't know the Epic has a specific, documented problem which the Evo does not. And since you can go to a store and run tests on ONE DOZEN  other models of 3G REv. A. phones and see normal speeds (300 to 500 up) and only Epic has these poor 3G speeds, it is a no brainier, beyond any doubt problem with Epic and not tower overload. Whether it is hardware fail on the Epic, software on the Epic, or some problem with Spritns netroks handling of Epic -- it is ONLY Epic.

Rich, why don't you read the thread before posting such gibberish? You got an uniformed tech or misunderstood him

richmattos6784 wrote:

I honestly cannot complain......while the upload speed is an issue, I suspect that it is because like iPhone, there is a lot of bandwidth being used.  This is causing a data cap to keep the towers from overloading.  Has anyone tried this at around 4am local time?  My first post, I tried at 114am and that showed no cap.  That was 5 days ago.

As for the technical support calls, I am actually speaking with a guy named Lance who is taking time out to work with me.  He is discussing the issue with his team lead.  He gave me about 30 minutes to test in multiple areas around my house and I gave him my results over the phone.  He feels that it might be the towers overloading......I will concede that is a great possibility.  I live in a small town and my town recently sold several units of both the Epic and Evo so an overload from the application/network usage is actually quite feasible.  I am going to have him perform the test right in his call center and see what he comes up with.  He did inform me that my primary tower is at 97% capacity and that Sprint is putting a new tower in about 5 miles down the road from my house.  I am actually going over to a sprint store to test the evo and epic side by side and he is going to call me back for the results.  He did indicate to me that the more people that call Sprint and Samsung, the sooner the issue will become more known.  He also stated that it is a KNOWN ISSUE and that is why Sprint is installing more towers.  That being said, do not give up on your Epics yet.  This can be like the iPhone fiasco but if anyone has dealt with sprint as much as I have over the past two years, customer service is much better than most companies and they will credit if you try hard enough.  As much as I am bothered by the upload speeds, the Epic is my phone of choice and I will stick with it.

Rich   

Journeyman

richmattos6784 wrote:

He did indicate that the PRLs are different for each phone and that based on the PRL, the tower could be capping DATA Roaming.  He also said that it COULD BE that it was set up incorrectly and that when the PRL is updated, that can cause the bad PRL to cap the Epic EVEN THOUGH the Epic may not be roaming.  Look at it this way:

You are roaming on VZW

Sprint has a Data Roaming Cap set on the PRL for Epics

The PRL was set up incorrectly so that all phones (Epic; roaming or not) have this cap.....

Rich

It sounds like the tech is spouting a bunch of bull. The PRL is not different for each phone. Non-EVDO phones have their own PRL. EVDO phones have their own PRL. WiMAX capable devices may (?) have their own PRL. But within that, the PRLs should be identical.

Both the EVO and Epic should have PRL 60670. Unless something has changed, there should be no difference in the actual "text" of the PRLs

Message was edited by: UFLG8R

Journeyman

richmattos6784 wrote:

This is like when the Evo first launched, the battery would die in a few hours.  A few weeks later, Evo owners received an update that resolved the issue.

Or it could be like the Samsung Moment and no fix at all. My Epic is going back.

Journeyman

We're getting conflicting/anomalous symptoms with this 150kbps upload problem.

One thing for sure, we are not getting conflicting speeds. What I see is 95% at 150 and the rest are not proof of anything since they could be user error, a technical anomaly causing an error in reported speed,  or some people playing games for whatever reason. (You can simply call up 3G and make 4G tests look like 3G when you do your screen shot or log print.)

As far as the cause based on what people with rooted or cloned phones are reporting it is irrelevant, that is too small a sample and could involve reporting errors as well. There is nothing that rules out any of four possibilities: software/driver/firmware flaw on Epic, hardware flaw on Epic, or an accidental or intentional cap by Sprint on Epic specifically (those are in my own order of declining likelihood).

Journeyman

not user error, seen it on two epics I've had, one I exchanged and this new one.  2 or 3 minutes at a time, it will do normal uploads.  I've run 3 tests in a row at that time and seen it. and I don't have 4G here.

Journeyman

I'm not rooted and I'm running the current DI07 firmware. Seriously... You think it's a n00b error with 22+ pages of people with this issue? There are tons more on otber forums bud. Go to XDA or SDX-developers if you want to see "proof" there are plenty of screen shots there...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat