cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Upload Capped?

Highlighted
Journeyman

3G Upload Capped?

For some odd reason my Epic is unable to upload faster than 150 kbps when on the 3g data network, no matter how many bars I have (first test in the image is on Wifi).  I've tested it side by side with a palm pre, and the pre was able to consistently hit 400-500 kbps.

Is this a software issue, hardware issue, or a sprint capping issue?

638 REPLIES 638
Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got a call back in response to the email I sent to the CEO earlier today. We had a short discussion where I told the representative that all I wanted to know was whether Sprint is aware of the issue and steps are taken to fix it. I was told that the device team is aware of the issue and currently in talks with Samsung on providing a solution. That all the information she had to give.

So, I may keep the phone after all. Other than the data speed issue, it is the best phone I have ever had (that includes the EVO by the way), especially for a media junky like myself.

I still wish they would have issued some kind of statement to ease the mind of concerned customers, as there are, obviously, many of us Epic owners who didn't to get this type of personal attention from Sprint.

Message was edited by: eyehud

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm guessing you just seriously messed up your postas we are talking about kilobits/sec for the 150 cap.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just searched and saw the same thing in another forum where based on the CSV a guy claimed his speeds were fine and fast at 775 in the Speedtest CSV. A look at his posted CVS showed 775 kilobits, which are actually speeds of 90 Kilobytes per second, or 1/5 average 4G speeds.

Sprint isn't getting any more than 150kilobytes per second. None of us doing serious credible testing are.

@o12, I don't know if you are just making typos or are confusing the situation, but we'd all be thrilled with 150kilobytes/s (or for that matter 90kilobytes/s) at this point. No one is getting above 150kiloBITS (~19 kilobytes/s).

Highlighted
Journeyman

eyehud wrote:

I still wish they would have issued some kind of statement to ease the mind of concerned customers, as there are, obviously, many of us Epic owners who didn't to get this type of personal attention from Sprint.

Yes... why they don't publicly address it is beyond me. I was so excited to finally switch to Sprint and get this phone. I was going to swallow the whole GPS thing, but the upload cap was too much. I had until yesterday to switch, and if they had at least said that something was in the works to fix it, I would have gone ahead and gotten the Epic and waited for it. Now instead of a superphone like that, I am stuck with my Blackberry Curve for another 2 years with a shotty provider in Cincinnati Bell. Yippie.

Anyway, I went to the Sprint store last night as a last resort before my deadline, thinking maybe the employees would know something or that it was somehow magically fixed. I mentioned the issue to the employee with the Speedtest results on both the EVO and Epic in my hands, and his reply was "I haven't really heard anything about that, but I CAN tell you that the Epic has a 1GHz processor". As factual as that may be, it wasn't exactly the response I was looking for.

I have a picture I can post of the EVO and Epic in hand with the Speedtest results up, but I don't feel that it serves any purpose at this point. There's enough evidence already. I don't really know how the store phones work, but I couldn't test from the same Speedtest servers because Speedtest on the  EVO thought I was in Kansas and Speedtest on the Epic thought I was in Florida. I'm in Cincinnati (????)

I guess I'll be back in 2 years to see if I can finally get a superphone. Good luck everyone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am a week away from picking up this phone (2 of them, one for me, and one for my wife). This issue may just turn me away. Was reallly wanting a fast 4G phone with a keyboard. I guess I'll have to see what happens in the next week with this issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

FWIW, here are the results of several tests in a row in downtown Indianapolis 30 minutes ago where there was a full 3G signal. I would post pics but don't have that ability yet.

DL     UL (in kbps)

130     134

37     46

39     162

123     185

132     172

127     140

Notice three tests above the 150 number and all miserable DLs. Using Speedtest.net. By the way, the word from the CEO office is great news.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, went to the sprint store as requested by customer service and ATTEMPTED to exchange my epic as requested.

We tried the speed test on 3 different epics, 1 new, one display, and 1 employee owned, and all got approx 150k upload.

Of course, tried the EVO on display and having my old PRE with me (yeah, the camera isn't all that, and its kinda blurry) I took the required photo for the board.

The sprint folks at the store noted my account and put an issue in to support, so its defiantly in their system (yes, i watched him press submit, etc)

On a seperate note, the screen difference between the two phones is night and day   C'mon sprint, i REALLY wanna keep my epic

Anyway, they better hurry and fix thisPRE_2010-09-19-012614.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

i see the evo getting its 30fps issue fixed, what is this 4 updates for that phone with froyo already?  seriously think I'll just go exchange for that.  Sprint acknowledges and than doesn't acknowledge the upload problem and worse forgets this is the USA and censors posts.

Journeyman

Just went in to my local Sprint store, and inquired the 'tech/service guys' there about the issue with upload issue on the epic, and the difference of speeds with other 3g devices on the same network when comparing them at the same time and place. I first asked about a comparison I did with my buddy that has a blackberry curve (only friend that even has a smart phone on the sprint network) upon uploading a 2MB email attachment. He flat out said that was because the epic is running a different os, plain and simple, and that android has soo much more going on in the background was the cause of the slower upload speed. When I then asked him about a speedtest done on both the evo and epic display phones, hey then said it was due to the different hardware, and that the evo has a significantly faster processor, no matter what each are clocked at. I then followed to ask that if it was purely the processor responsible, why 4G or Wifi weren't effected. I was then told that I could have downloaded something that was effecting the speeds, like a virus, except that I went into there with a fully restored phone with nothing on there but my backed up contacts, the software that comes preloaded, and the speedtest app.

So, evidently, I have three negatives working against me, I have a different OS than most 3g phones on the sprint network, my processor is too slow or the hardware is fubar'd (regardless of other phones in the same line on different carriers not having a problem), and I evidently have a virus slowing down my 3g upload transfer on my restored to factory fresh phone.

However they look at it, it isn't Sprint's problem. He said that was the way it was, if I didnt like it to return the phone. The only positve that came out the experience was that I was told (unofficially, and to be denied if asked) that 4G is currently being tested in my area, and the 3G issue wouldnt be an issue for long to me (if I can even believe that).  At least I still have another week to decide if I want to return or exchange my phone for the evo or something else.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's easy to say/think "Hey, Sprint - what gives - why does one phone get more/quicker fixes than the other phone?"...

But we have to also factor in HTC doing their part for their hardware's issues vs. Samsung doing their part for their hardware's issues...

I doubt it is Sprint just favoring one phone over the other (I really hope not).

Considering past history, I think a lot of us suspect that HTC is a little bit more "on the ball" than Samsung for taking care of issues in a timely fashion.

(It saddens me to hear what the Samsung Moment owners are saying about their situation...)

I hope Samsung (and Sprint) can surprise us real soon though by getting to the root of the matter and getting some info out to us.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Be nice to put up the Name of the represenative that said this issue was being fixed? I just called sprint to let them know how my Epic is not working as intended.gps takes foerver or does not lock, cant download text/sms pictures while on wifi (terrible because i have an airrave that runs at 1x so it takes forever to download a pic at 20kbs), upload cap She was totally unaware of the problems.. I had her note that i will be returning my epic and since it was a technical issue no restocking fee should be charged. The radioshack i purchased my epic does not have an evo, so ill be able to go to another store pick up and EVo and try it for 30days.. Hoping these issues with the Epic are fixed and god only knows when 2.2 will come out for the epic hell gingerbread might be out before it gets updated lol , but who knows with the 30 fps cap removed on the Evo I might just like it better anyhow since I got so used to using swype.

Highlighted
Journeyman

gunkldunk wrote:

It's easy to say/think "Hey, Sprint - what gives - why does one phone get more/quicker fixes than the other phone?"...

But we have to also factor in HTC doing their part for their hardware's issues vs. Samsung doing their part for their hardware's issues...

I doubt it is Sprint just favoring one phone over the other (I really hope not).

Considering past history, I think a lot of us suspect that HTC is a little bit more "on the ball" than Samsung for taking care of issues in a timely fashion.

(It saddens me to hear what the Samsung Moment owners are saying about their situation...)

I hope Samsung (and Sprint) can surprise us real soon though by getting to the root of the matter and getting some info out to us.

I very much suspect Sprint is favoring the EVO. It is still their "flagship" phone. Samsung is promoting the Epic, but compared to the EVO, Sprint really isn't. Just like the Hero...Sprint pimped the heck out of the Hero, but the Moment got the backburner.

Sprint definitely favors HTC.

With that in mind, however, it is also important to note that the EVO has almost been out for 4 months. Bugs that are being fixed today may have been first reported on launch day. It is fairly unrealistic to expect any bugs unknown at launch (8/31) to be fixed already...it's only been 3 weeks. However, again with the Samsung Moment, Sprint and Samsung became aware of the Airplane Mode/data lockup bugs within the first week of launch. Now 11 months later, those bugs are still not fixed.

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, in either Sprint or Samsung, does it?

Message was edited by: UFLG8R

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat