cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Upload Capped?

Highlighted
Journeyman

3G Upload Capped?

For some odd reason my Epic is unable to upload faster than 150 kbps when on the 3g data network, no matter how many bars I have (first test in the image is on Wifi).  I've tested it side by side with a palm pre, and the pre was able to consistently hit 400-500 kbps.

Is this a software issue, hardware issue, or a sprint capping issue?

638 REPLIES 638
Highlighted
Journeyman

yea, I was gonna go for the evo, but half the reason I bought this phone was for the camera and of course so my wife can upload pictures to facebook, hopefully she doesn't notice the deficiency or it wouldn't matter whether she has had the phone for a year or more, they would be taking it back and giving her a phone that works or letting her cancel with no fees, they would be refunding her money as well for  the phone.  thank god i'm a lot nicer than her.  But anyway, point being, the camera sucks on the evo and i'm not going to have my babies memories messed up because sprint can't fix the issue.  So I'm gonna hang on for a bit.

Highlighted
Wizard

Here is the response from the Sprint Device Product Management team:

We have heard reports of users experiencing  less-than-expected 3G upload speeds with their Samsung Epic 4G.  After extensive  investigation, Sprint and Samsung have identified an enhancement that may  improve upload speeds on the Epic. This fix will be made available in the next  maintenance release.  It’s important to note that network speeds are impacted by  many factors when using commercially-available speed test applications and test  results may or may not be true indicator of the actual network  performance.

Highlighted
Journeyman

dshoem01 wrote:

Here is the response from the Sprint Device Product Management team:

We have heard reports of users experiencing  less-than-expected 3G upload speeds with their Samsung Epic 4G.  After extensive  investigation, Sprint and Samsung have identified an enhancement that may  improve upload speeds on the Epic. This fix will be made available in the next  maintenance release.  It’s important to note that network speeds are impacted by  many factors when using commercially-available speed test applications and test  results may or may not be true indicator of the actual network  performance.

Great news! Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Highlighted
Journeyman

dshoem01,

Thanks for the news.  It's seems like there might be light at the end of the tunnel.  However, the wording about network speeds being impacted by different factors sounds like a cover-up for when the fix doesn't work.

I can't help but be cynical.  However, I'm hoping for the best with this news.

Thank you SO much for sharing!

Message was edited by: PleaseFixEpic4GUploadSpeeds

Highlighted
Journeyman

I hope this fix they are referring to will also fix the issue of the phone bogging down during 3G upload.  This is more serious than the upload speed IMO.

Highlighted
Journeyman

dshoem01,

That is a step in the right direction.  Thank you for the update.

If you could bring some feedback to the Device Product Management team.  There should be NO question about the effectiveness of the enhancement.  This is the most re-creatable problem in the history of problems.  I've been to over a dozen Sprint stores and tested and have tested nearly 100 Epics.  I've traveled the country and have been to 10 cities in 10 different states.  I travel a lot for work and email a lot of pics and video from the phone (which is why this is such a painful problem for me.)  As a matter of fact, 10 minutes ago I left the corporate store in Austin Tx where I validated this problem on the 3 Epics on display, one in the repair center and one Sprint employees personal Epic.  I also validated in the same store at the same time with three EVO's, two moments and two TP2's that it is not a network or application problem (I used the speedtest.net, FCC & 2 browser based tests.)  I've done this many times.

I would be more than happy (actually OVERJOYED) to help validate the "enhancement".  I'll travel to a corporate store, I'll dedicate my time and resources to help.  Please let me help ensure that the enhancement has a positive effect on this issue.

Kind regards

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let me speak up from the internet / web hosting side of things.  MANY factors CAN effect speed tests, this is perfectly true. In fact some recent posts and videos complaining of this issue showed the Epic getting better DOWNLOAD speeds then the EVO - There WILL be a difference in test results most of the time.  The test sites can even have slow downs, outages, etc.

That said this problem is reproducible, but if the upload goes to 400k in some areas and 600k in other areas *THAT* would likely be an issue outside of Samsung or Sprint's control and I hope that is what they are specifying.

If there's anywhere to get a private beta of this build I'd love to hear about it privately, I'm familiar with installing custom ROMs, etc. on HTC devices - I'm sure I can figure out the Samsung if given the choice - I'm not interested in a third party rom, only a test rom from Sprint/Samsung.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just when is this maintenance update going to happen?

Journeyman

Thanks for the update and keeping us in the loop (esp within our return period).  I'm definitely looking forward to patch.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Sprint statement says: "May improve upload speeds ... available in the next maintenance release."

Now, if they will extend my 30-day trial deadline to see if this works, they might keep my business. Otherwise, their terms would commit me to an expensive two-year contract on the speculation that what they have sold me will get fixed.

That's a very one-sided gamble.  It's Sprint's deadline, and Sprint has the discretion to extend it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too appreciate them acknowledging this issue. HOWEVER, I still must stand my ground on my decision to return it on the 4th if this fix is not relesed AND confirmed to fix the issue by then.  Add to this the fact that I purchased this epic (2nd one already :/) through best buy, I don't think it would matter WHAT sprint said about the return period, BestBuy's return period is 30 days.  Now MAYBE they could send them a memo to extend this in their stores too, but in my experience, anytime a company HAS a chance to "bend you over", they will.  I no longer give them any opportunity.

Love the Epic, Tick tock on the fix.  The 4th is my deadline.

Highlighted
Journeyman

boomerbubba wrote:

The Sprint statement says: "May improve upload speeds ... available in the next maintenance release."

Now, if they will extend my 30-day trial deadline to see if this works, they might keep my business. Otherwise, their terms would commit me to an expensive two-year contract on the speculation that what they have sold me will get fixed.

That's a very one-sided gamble.  It's Sprint's deadline, and Sprint has the discretion to extend it.

Or one could return the device, and not deal with it.  If it does fix it then get it...  If it doesn't well you have already moved on and there's nothing for you to worry about.  Faith or No Faith returning the device before your 30 days saves people a lot of headaches.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat