cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Upload Capped?

Highlighted
Journeyman

3G Upload Capped?

For some odd reason my Epic is unable to upload faster than 150 kbps when on the 3g data network, no matter how many bars I have (first test in the image is on Wifi).  I've tested it side by side with a palm pre, and the pre was able to consistently hit 400-500 kbps.

Is this a software issue, hardware issue, or a sprint capping issue?

638 REPLIES 638
Highlighted
Journeyman

poteen00 wrote:

Just when is this maintenance update going to happen?

Desi, thanks for the update--that's what we wanted Sprint to do a long time ago. I said many pages ago that you're the only one at Sprint earning their money right now. I must echo poteen00's question...

1. How long will it take to get the maintenance release for the Epic 4G?

2. Will Sprint extend the 30 day return period to minimize risk of current Epic 4G owners?

3. Will this maintenance release also address the GPS lock problems?

4. Also, when is the Android 2.2 update coming for the Epic 4G?

For example, BGR reported a ton of problems in Verizon's Galaxy S phone variant known as the Fascinate (which is the same family as the Epic 4G and our phone shares some of the same problems) on September 10, 2010...

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/09/10/samsung-fascinate-known-issues-document-leaks/

12 days later, Verizon is rolling out fixes to its users:

http://erictric.com/2010/09/22/samsung-fascinate-update-coming-this-week-android-2-2-froyo-may-come-...

Also, this week the AT&T variant of the Galaxy S known as the Captivate is getting a maintenance update:

http://erictric.com/2010/09/22/samsung-captivate-getting-update-this-week-not-android-2-2-froyo/

This leaves Sprint's Epic 4G as the phone that needs a maintenance release update so I'd really like it if you could push your higher-ups for an estimated date and a list of fixed issues so we can make the correct decision for our wallets. Many of us are willing to forgive and move on as long as we're kept in the loop with reporting issues and pending updates--something I've said to you from the beginning. Thanks again for you getting info for us Desi, hopefully I can send an even bigger thanks once you get the ETA and Change Log.

Highlighted
Journeyman

One more thing Desi... another user stated they are willing to beta test updates ahead of time. In addition to an ETA for the maintenance release and list of issues fixed in the update, I'd encourage you to ask your higher-ups to let a few of us in the Sprint Epic 4G community become unpaid/volunteer beta testers for any and all pending updates. We'd happily volunteer to test the fixes and provide real-world feedback. This would go a very long way to getting some of the most vocal complainers (like me) to become part of an ecosystem of solutions and we can also reassure other users that updates are coming. DirecTV does this with their beta updates to products and has forged a wonderful enthusiast community around it's products. This would give you a leg up on your competitors as they release their own keyboard-variant Android phones and new 4G networks.

I'm more than happy to offer my time to test Epic 4G updates and provide honest feedback. Please take this idea up to your management team and the device team. Let us know what they say.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks Dshoem01,
You just saved Sprint a ton of money by averting a lot of returns.
I love this phone and Im happy that soon it will be almost perfect.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Agreed, add me to that list.  I've been testing various roms, mods, and toward the end android on the TP2 for the past year, lots of different experience with other HTC phones in the past, as well as some development experience.  And most importantly, I know how to get back to stock   I would be MORE than happy to help sprint help me on this issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

COME ON MAINTENANCE RELEASE AND FROYO!!

I want to beta test, also!

Testing software is part of my daily job duties.

Message was edited by: seanba

Highlighted
Journeyman

hrana98 wrote:

One more thing Desi... another user stated they are willing to beta test updates ahead of time. In addition to an ETA for the maintenance release and list of issues fixed in the update, I'd encourage you to ask your higher-ups to let a few of us in the Sprint Epic 4G community become unpaid/volunteer beta testers for any and all pending updates.

I'd like to beta as well. I fully identified the GPS problem. I have been in volved in many betas.

But from what I can tell Sprint does beta with hundreds of internal employees who are under enforceable NDAs. I had  a bud at a store and he had our latest maintenance update quite some time before it was sent to our Epics. So Sprint does already have hundreds of people they can poll for upload  results nationwide under a variety of conditions.

Testing any fix on the GPS is more subtle. They would have to tell employees not to reset phones for a few days and trust they did not. Not practical or useful. The Sprint device team, and Sammy, will have to actually have in hand a program to passively look at and log the GPS assistance cache state and data over time. That does not require a widespread test but a smart laboratory set of tests seeing what is there, why it isn't removed when expired,;and  how to utilize successful triggers in other properly working aGPS smartphones. That way the current workaround, setting to cold start at all times, which as drawbacks, can be replaced with a permaant solution.

Journeyman

HERE WE GO!

R u kidding me?

We can't even get what we pay for and now this?

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9187322/Sprint_CEO_won_t_rule_out_price_increase_for_excessiv...

Message was edited by: ronniedean69
Another article that explains more

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20017345-266.html

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would also like to volunteer to test this patch out.

thank you    

Highlighted
Journeyman

Someone asked a few days ago - sorry if this has been answered, but in order to see the diagnostic page dial:

*#4636*1111#

Then go to phone info and look for network type.  My Epic always said REV.0.

Also, I returned my Epic today due to this issue.  While in the store in Lone Tree, CO I spoke with a few people and no one there had any idea this was a problem with this phone which isn't surprising considering they still don't think anything is wrong with the Moment either.  The 2 Epics on display had the same issue.  The Evo worked fine.  Hell, even the Moment I had to reactivate on my account uploads just fine (until it locks up...).  I have no faith in Sprint/Samsung resolving this or any other issue and would urge everyone to bring theirs back as well, unless you like poor 3G upload performance.

Best of luck to you all.  I will be switching providers after ~5 years in November.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I returned my two Epics to Wirefly. And got to Evo's today from Radioshack. Just in time for another software update :-). Android 2.2, fps unlocked and check the stats.

1529kbps down

635kbps up

Signal doesn't drop out 5 times a day like the Epic and notice the full bars in my house. Where I would get 1-2 on the Epic

Highlighted
Journeyman

"We have heard reports of users experiencing  less-than-expected 3G upload speeds with their Samsung Epic 4G.  After extensive  investigation, Sprint and Samsung have identified an enhancement that may  improve upload speeds on the Epic. This fix will be made available in the next  maintenance release.  It’s important to note that network speeds are impacted by  many factors when using commercially-available speed test applications and test  results may or may not be true indicator of the actual network  performance."

I'm not going to hold my breathe waiting for this fix.  Unfortunately in the industry I work in, I deal with statements like this all the time.  We have a word for them: "weasel statements".  For example, the statement from Sprint states that this fix may improve upload speeds, not that it is fixing a problem (It doesn't even mention that they identified an issue or problem.)  It then goes so far as to say that Speedtest apps may not be accurate AKA passing blame or responsibility to another party AKA an excuse.  Overall, a very generic, non-commital statement with the intended goal of stopping the hemmoraging and quieting down some users until the fix drops and either 1) fixes the issue and everyone is happy, or 2) doesn't actually fix the problem, so the s%&t storm starts up again.

I understand that Sprint is a large corporation, and most likely had PR/Media/Legal teams review the statement multiple times to ensure their message was strategically stated.  I still have hopes that this will get fixed, but this statement doesn't give me much confidence that it will be soon.  I hope I'm wrong!  I really want to pick up one of these phones...

Message was edited by: lbriggs419 - forgot to quote original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

I completely agree.  They put up the bare minimum to stop the L-word talk on here (I didn't say it!) as well as try and get people to "stay, wait around, see how this turns out".  As much as I HOPE they do fix this issue, and would be happy to help as a beta tester, this sounds like something put out by PR/Legal/Marketing, NOT the device team.  This sounds like damage control.  Every time I turn around these days I see company after company cutting customers short (significantly short, not like forgot to include batteries short) at every possible turn anytime it can save them more than 10 cents per unit, no matter how it cripples the device.

Now, I will say this.  If the fix is extremely easy, I believe they might fix it.  But I ALSO believe they're working on their next rushed, soon to be released unfinised product due out in 3-6 months and I think that will get precedence.  After all, they've already got OUR money.  Companies truly don't care anymore about keeping customers, interestingly enough in these hard economic times.  Just try to cancel your service with Sprint.  You're essentially advised about the cost of your ETF and told not to let the door hit you on your way out.  Retentions?  Oh, they were 1/3 of the now unemployed workforce we decided we didn't need...

I stand by my earlier offer to Beta test for Sprint.  As much as it appears above, I do WANT them to succeed.  I don't WANT to go to a Vibrant where I know I'll have 5GB, drop down to EDGE soft data cap.  But at the same time I'm someone who usually predicts with a fair degree of certainty what a company is going to do, purely by look at what the most "selfish" decision would be and 95% of the time, I'm right.  And that was BEFORE the recession.  Now...  we built the corporations up in good times, and now they'll make us pay in the dark times.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat