Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Upload Capped?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 3G Upload Capped?

Tidbits808 wrote:

Again it's a placebo effect and some people may just have a bugged GPS and should be returned, and see if the problem is corrected.

LOL, no. the bugs are verified present on all Epics. The effect is different according to how you use your Epic. So you are the one with the placebo effect. I don't want to sound snarky but you do need to look up the term.  It means falsely  thinking a solution is occurring, or a problem is not occurring, do to impressionist findings and poor testing.

You also seem unaware that the several aGPS Bugs on Epics have been extensively, tested, diagnosed and  documented, in controlled tests with other devices in the same place, on much more expert technical forums than this consumer feedback forum.

So the placebo affect you are experiencing isn't really relevant, since the Epic GPS and location bugs are established and documented.. You also claimed your aGPS is working better with the new DI07 firmware. No, what that firmware changes is not aGPS at all but the operation of the unrelated "use wireless networks" location system. The update It makes that other system work more often -- albeit less accurately.

I notice your initial post on this 3G thread was that you had not noticed 3g issues either. Placebo? lol. you did see it so it  doesn't exist?

The facts are simple:

1) if you take one (or all) of the competing smartphones outside with your Epic and secure a fix and slowly move indoors you will see with testing software that the epic drops satellites sooner, and will have no aGPS fix at some point sooner than the competing devices. This is an issue, probably not fixable, due to poorer GPS reception on epic. It will affect ALL users and result in longer times to acquire, less accurate fixes, and more time without GPS  in non optimal conditions than competing smartphones. It wont matter on clear days, it will matter under foliage, inside a light roof, on very cloudy nights etc.  Whether it affects them enough to make them prefer another smartphone or keep epic is an individual question, but don't say it doesn.t exist. It is documented. It is a deficiency present on your Epic

2) The main problem users are finding: Epic is not always removing old assistance data as it is supposed to do. This means all users will eventually encounter problems getting a fix at all in perfect conditions. Some users will see this several times a week, some may not see it in a month, it depends on your usage habits: how often your reset, what other programs you invoke, whether you tend to turn off aGPS, move to another location and turn it on and many variables.So you get false negative results (see no problem). But the fact is that aGSP smartpheons are supposed to detect and remove bad assistance data. Epic does not though the proper procedure making it inconsistent in those key area.. Your individual use may never have bad assistance data due to your individual habits, but that doesn't go to prove that.the bug is not present on your Epic (it is), it just means it doesn't manifest yet or you didn't notice it when it did.

On the expert technical forums there is a workaround fix for this. You go into debug mode and set it to always cold start. every single tester on the expert forums has found this to be successful. But this workaround also has other drawbacks and Samsung needs to properly fix the bug

3) Your Epic absolutely has a misreporting GPS bug in that it is reporting a 30 meter confidence rating that is supposed to be computed, and Samsung either messed up or cheated by simply inserting a single hard value in the code. Don't say you don't have it since -- we all have that bug and it is visible and duplicateable on every single Epic. That bug maybe inadvertent, but it is not a conspiracy theory to wonder if it is  there on purpose, since some programs and applications need that minimum or will reject a reported  GPS position as inadequate. If you set an location app to wait for a location fix that is 75' accurate, Epic is often going to fool that application even when the accuracy is actually in the 1000 foot range

4) there are issues with the other location system, the use wireless networks system. That system is using cell sector location location system (the least  accurate) when it should be doing forward triangulation, and in conditions where other sprint smartphjones a doing forward tower triangulation, which is considerably more accurate. Cell sector is easier and more robust, but much less accurate.This new change of getting cell sector easer but not over time refining to forward triangulation, as should be the case, was introduced in DI07. That is indeed the only DI07 update change to location systems on the Epic

Journeyman

Hmmmmmm.....

Potentially INTENTIONALLY throtteld data by Sprint and a $10 a month fee for a richer experience eh?

If this is proved to be true, Sprint has just lost all credibility IMHO.

Journeyman

I'm glad everyone found my find so useful.  I KNEW something was getting in the way.  I mean, when Skyfire, a streaming radio app, AND transdroid all have issues keeping a consistent data stream, struggle to TRY to work but always fail, something had to be up.

Not confidence inspiring Sprint.  On the one hand, I fixed a major problem on the device that was making me hate it.  On the other hand, I now know that you intentionally gimped my device, and now I hate you.  This simply isn't a coincidence, it couldn't POSSIBLY be.  You have until the 4th to re-enable my device's upload, that I now am almost POSITIVE was fully operational in the models reviewers were given and was intentionally BROKEN by Sprint because all us $10 extra a month suckers just don't deserve unfiltered data.

Oh, and to those who were wondering, you CAN use connectbot (available in Market) and select "local" to essentially ADB into yourself, or simply use ADB (google it).

Message was edited by: compuw22c - Added ADB statement

Journeyman

thanks for the tip, i wasnt reassured with sprints comment of "may enhance upload speeds". i was thinking about riding it out but this helps my decision. im returning 2 epics and going back to feature phones for now. i really loved this phone, but i cant use all thed features im paying extra for. what a shame sprint.

Journeyman

I've already returned my Epic and don't even feel a bit of remorse. Mind you I thought it was a great phone, right up there with the Iphone 4. Of course my ATT service ended today and now I don't even have a phone anymore. I guess I'll have to try the Droid 2 on the 30th, at least that comes with froyo and Verizon doesn't cap speeds.

Journeyman

Well as of 30-mins ago, I am back on Tmo (no contract).  It's a sad day for me , as I really LOVED this little phone, it was my 1st smart phone - and I hated to give it up!  I am waiting on porting to go through, and then I will be going to the Sprint store, to return the Epic.

I will stay on Tmo until they come out with a phone that I like as much (or better) than the Epic, or until the Epic is "bug-free/fixed", then I may consider coming back to Sprint - which ever comes 1st.

Good luck to all of you, whom are choosing to ride this out - I'll be curious as to if and when this issue gets fixed.

Journeyman

You could have ported your number back to your old AT&T phone and gone on a month-to-month contract, unless that wasn't an option for some reason?  I left AT&T to get the Epic, but just yesterday I was back in the AT&T store with my old BB porting my number back.  Now I'm just month-to-month until the next best thing comes out.

Goes without saying, but I obviously returned my Epic yesterday along with Sprint's service.  I mentioned the upload cap to the Sprint employee and of course it was the first time he heard about it...shocker.  His Epic "worked fine" too.  I didn't have time to walk him through tests on his phone to prove his phone was not fine, but left my speedtest screenshots on my phone and suggested he run the speedtest app.

I really hope these issues get fixed soon for those of you braving it out.  It'd be a shame to waste such a great piece of hardware, and more importantly, your money because you're not getting the service/functionality you paid for.

Message was edited by: DutnChops - added at the end

Journeyman

compuw22c,

"that I now am almost POSITIVE was fully operational in the models reviewers were given and was intentionally BROKEN by Sprint"

You are on a roll today.  You are absolutely correct.  For some reason I had not completely connected the dots until your statement.  I've called sprint technical support many times on this issue.  My main purpose for doing that is to spread the word around the technical support team about this issue.  Every time I call, I get a different tech, and every time they are not aware of this problem, so I inform them.

One of the things that has always perplexed me is that sometimes the tech will test this with their Epic (at least they say that they are testing it) and every time they say that it is working for them.  That is they tell me that they are getting more normal upload speeds (usually 250 - 400) not exactly what I would expect, but always over 150k.  I've often tried to convince one of them to trade with me, but never been successful. ;-)  As I think more about it, one of the things that I'm usually told is that I would not want to trade because their unit is beat up and it is a pre-release model.  It is now much clearer, the Epics that were internally "tested" and sent to reviewers and are now used by the technical support team did (do) not have this issue and hence there were no complaints and the tech support team is unable to recreate it.  This "problem" manifested itself only in the production models.  I truly hope that this really is simply a "problem" (it does happen) introduced at GA (general availability) and not a deliberate move that some product manager or executive thought was a good idea.  I've got to go take some deep breaths and count to 10 a few dozen times before I think more about this.

Journeyman

o12 wrote:

Tidbits808 wrote:

Again it's a placebo effect and some people may just have a bugged GPS and should be returned, and see if the problem is corrected.

LOL, no. the bugs are verified present on all Epics. The effect is different according to how you use your Epic. So you are the one with the placebo effect. I don't want to sound snarky but you do need to look up the term.  It means falsely  thinking a solution is occurring, or a problem is not occurring, do to impressionist findings and poor testing.

I do not deny there is one.  I just hate the fact people expect me to be all up in arms and cry like the rest.  It works better than what I had and more accurately.

You also seem unaware that the several aGPS Bugs on Epics have been extensively, tested, diagnosed and  documented, in controlled tests with other devices in the same place, on much more expert technical forums than this consumer feedback forum.

So 100% of there tests show the same results.  Using 1,000 of devices tested 1,000 times in the same location.  It wasn't controlled tests sorry.

So the placebo affect you are experiencing isn't really relevant, since the Epic GPS and location bugs are established and documented.. You also claimed your aGPS is working better with the new DI07 firmware. No, what that firmware changes is not aGPS at all but the operation of the unrelated "use wireless networks" location system. The update It makes that other system work more often -- albeit less accurately.

So a few devices couldn't work better than others, and who said I use aGPS?

I notice your initial post on this 3G thread was that you had not noticed 3g issues either. Placebo? lol. you did see it so it  doesn't exist?

If you actually READ my post in that thread.  I said I never noticed because I do not upload large files, I do not use things like Picasa, or do I use Qik or anything that I need to use the upload side extensively.  If I wanted to upload large files I always used 4g/Wifi.  So it never got my attention.  So yah reading comprehension is greater than you. 

The facts are simple:

1) if you take one (or all) of the competing smartphones outside with your Epic and secure a fix and slowly move indoors you will see with testing software that the epic drops satellites sooner, and will have no aGPS fix at some point sooner than the competing devices. This is an issue, probably not fixable, due to poorer GPS reception on epic. It will affect ALL users and result in longer times to acquire, less accurate fixes, and more time without GPS  in non optimal conditions than competing smartphones. It wont matter on clear days, it will matter under foliage, inside a light roof, on very cloudy nights etc.  Whether it affects them enough to make them prefer another smartphone or keep epic is an individual question, but don't say it doesn.t exist. It is documented. It is a deficiency present on your Epic

Why would I use GPS indoors?  It's POINTLESS to use GPS indoors.  Outdoors it works just fine for me.  It works better than my Nexus One.  Why can't you people just get that through your head?

2) The main problem users are finding: Epic is not always removing old assistance data as it is supposed to do. This means all users will eventually encounter problems getting a fix at all in perfect conditions. Some users will see this several times a week, some may not see it in a month, it depends on your usage habits: how often your reset, what other programs you invoke, whether you tend to turn off aGPS, move to another location and turn it on and many variables.So you get false negative results (see no problem). But the fact is that aGSP smartpheons are supposed to detect and remove bad assistance data. Epic does not though the proper procedure making it inconsistent in those key area.. Your individual use may never have bad assistance data due to your individual habits, but that doesn't go to prove that.the bug is not present on your Epic (it is), it just means it doesn't manifest yet or you didn't notice it when it did.

...  Who cares about that?  Mine works better than what I had again.  Sure some people may have problems with it.  I don't it is more accurate.  I said I went with where the blue dot is regardless of how many feet the dot says.  The Nexus One I had always told me I was 5,000 ft within an area, and the blue dot was always off by a block until 2-3 minutes later.  My Epic takes some time but it shows the dot right where I am standing but says 30 ft.  as I honestly have to wait a few more minutes for my Nexus One to show me where I am standing over my Epic.

On the expert technical forums there is a workaround fix for this. You go into debug mode and set it to always cold start. every single tester on the expert forums has found this to be successful. But this workaround also has other drawbacks and Samsung needs to properly fix the bug

3) Your Epic absolutely has a misreporting GPS bug in that it is reporting a 30 meter confidence rating that is supposed to be computed, and Samsung either messed up or cheated by simply inserting a single hard value in the code. Don't say you don't have it since -- we all have that bug and it is visible and duplicateable on every single Epic. That bug maybe inadvertent, but it is not a conspiracy theory to wonder if it is  there on purpose, since some programs and applications need that minimum or will reject a reported  GPS position as inadequate. If you set an location app to wait for a location fix that is 75' accurate, Epic is often going to fool that application even when the accuracy is actually in the 1000 foot range

Yes I know you can DUPLICATE the bug with all Epic.  I already know and I read, but as you failed to read.  I never said the problem didn't exist.  I said mine works better than what I had so it's not a problem and it's accurate.  If the problem like you said is aGPS causing the bug I may never see it as I don't use aGPS at all.

4) there are issues with the other location system, the use wireless networks system. That system is using cell sector location location system (the least  accurate) when it should be doing forward triangulation, and in conditions where other sprint smartphjones a doing forward tower triangulation, which is considerably more accurate. Cell sector is easier and more robust, but much less accurate.This new change of getting cell sector easer but not over time refining to forward triangulation, as should be the case, was introduced in DI07. That is indeed the only DI07 update change to location systems on the Epic All I said about the update was it has shorten my lock on time, and didn't say how long it took my device to lock on.  I like how everyone assumes things and put words in my mouth.  I am honestly done with these forums.  There's a reason why I don't post in forums like XDA.  Too many people do the same thing and assume the same things.  When someone says something that doesn't fit with the status quo they get bashed and no one ever actually reads what that person says.

Journeyman

...or Sprint Tech Support has an Airrave set up in their office and they are all connecting to that for their service and for testing things and that is why they are not seeing capped upload speed.

Journeyman

"...or Sprint Tech Support has an Airrave set up in their office and they  are all connecting to that for their service and for testing things and  that is why they are not seeing capped upload speed."

Could be.  I've not tested with an Airrave, but I have read on another forum (could be xda?) of others that have and if my memory serves me, I recall the result as the problem exists even while using the Airrave.  Again, I could be mistaken, that is only based on what I remember reading (a few of literally thousands of posts on this topic.)

Message was edited by: PleaseFixTheEpic

Journeyman

@Tidbits808:

Look, we get it... you have the only working Epic 4G phone out of all 300+ messages on this forum and thousands around the internet stating otherwise. I'm sure your phone was the same one Samsung used when it released its (debunked) statement that the Epic 4G GPS works fine (when it doesn't). I'm also sure all the rest of us are just complaining about being sold a non-working/buggy product that many are returning in large numbers because we planned to amass an army of anti-Tidbit808 folks to make you look like a jacka** on an internet forum. The rest of us are "crying" (your words not mine) about a real problem because our phones don't behave like your perfect specimen and we should pay the extra $10 bugs a month for the privlidge of owning the same phone you do. Furthermore, all of us are obviously sending mental control rays through your computer's screen via our computers to force you to think like us because we all want to "be the boss of you." Obviously, we should use our phones more like you because then there will be no problems at all. 150k cap? Psshh, just don't upload or just the internet or send emails or send videos/pictures to friends. GPS issues? Psssh, don't use navigation or Google Maps--we should use paper maps because they're better. Poor battery life? Psssh, keep your phone plugged in to a charger all the time--obviously, none of can afford a portable nuclear reactor while on the move like you can.

You know, I heard once that a doctor told a patient that if he sat in a wheelchair then he wouldn't notice his leg was broken and shattered because a wheelchair still gets us from point A to point B--obviously the wheelchair is the best solution to a broken leg. Anyone who disagrees is obviously crying and out to "be the boss of" that doctor and trying "make him think like us."

For everyone except Tidbits808... read the above with the intention of mockery and sarcasm.

Now being serious... I wonder if Tidbits808 is a Sprint employee posing as a regular user to minimize the problems in the 'Epic 4ailure' since she claims to have a working phone.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat