cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Upload Capped?

Highlighted
Journeyman

3G Upload Capped?

For some odd reason my Epic is unable to upload faster than 150 kbps when on the 3g data network, no matter how many bars I have (first test in the image is on Wifi).  I've tested it side by side with a palm pre, and the pre was able to consistently hit 400-500 kbps.

Is this a software issue, hardware issue, or a sprint capping issue?

638 REPLIES 638
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello,

My wife's EVO has the SAME settings as the Epic.  I looked using the same code.  It's in a slightly different menu, but I was able to find it and see it.

Thanks,

Joe

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is great news and comes within my 30 day return period for my iPhone 4. Maybe there's hope to be on Sprint and escape Job's clutches after all. Thanks again for the update!

dshoem01 wrote:

Good news - an update will be released tomorrow 9/30.  It will be rolled out over a 4 day period so not everyone will get it on day 1.

I will have the standard MR information (fixes included, rollout schedule, etc) available tomorrow morning and will post it in a new featured thread.

Highlighted
Journeyman

it absolutely was a calculated decision to release one day after the 30 day return period, too much of a coincidence.  Whoever came up with this genius move needs to be fired though because it really put sprint in a bad position.

They actually are obligated to fix the problem now.  Before people could return the phone, now people are locked into contract per sprints rules and sprint has to fix it.  Otherwise they will face that nasty "L" word over people who are paying 10 dollars a month for a premium data experience and not experiencing it.  further they risk paying every single epic user back all the 10 dollars per month they paid which is a big chunk of change for sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hopefully this update will help the 3G download speed as well - which isn't so great either.

Highlighted
Journeyman

WOW, engadget picked up the story and quoted from the forum that we are getting our fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for that good news, Desi.

About an hour ago I started testing my phone, lo and behold, my upload rate went from 150kbps to over 600 with relative consistency.

This is my second Epic.  Both started at DG27 and were upgraded to DI07 and all showed the 150kbps cap until about an hour ago.  Much smoother during upload too.

Happier, thanks.

Message was edited by: theporri

Highlighted
Journeyman

Desi,

I'm on the phone right now with tier 2 support to try to find out what's in the update because this is my last day if I'm going to return the phone and I'm being told that they don't see anything about the battery life, GPS, or this data upload issue in this release.

I know you said that you're putting that information up tomorrow, but I have to make a decision today.

The tech is saying there is NO FIX FOR THE CAP ISSUE FROM SAMSUNG yet or anything to improve the battery.

Looks like I'm returning the phone today

Can you help out with this?

Thanks,

Joe

Message was edited by: TKDJOE1 - Added info about the battery.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I say anyone who is at or very near their last day, return it.  I still have a few days left since I had to exchange mine on the 6th, but if I were you, I'd return it.  It isn't as though by returning it you're giving up any chance to have it again.  You can easily go back and repurchase it when you know the issues are fixed.  Furthermore, I would refuse to pay any kind of restocking fee (show them this forum, and do a side by side with any other sprint phone to show evidence) because it IS defective, even if every single phone has the issue, it is still DEFECTIVE.

That all being said, I truley hope this fixes the issue and I can keep my phone.  But if you're hoping for someone (or a company) to do the right thing, unless you have real assurances I say don't be disappointed when they let you down.  Go back to your old phone for a few days, wait for the results from us forum posters and if you're satisfied, repurchase it.  You've got nothing to lose by returning it.  There should be no restocking fee as it IS defective.  You can always rebuy it!

Highlighted
Journeyman

For those considering a return:

I'd first recommend you try to get Sprint to delay your return window a few days, in writing - So far no luck with this, but I bought mine at BestBuy so that's part of the issue.  I've got a few days left.

If that doesn't work or you don't want to spend the time doing it I'd get on CraigsList / ebay, buy a used Sprint phone, and activate it when you return your Epic - You don't need to port back to your old provider..  a used phone can be had cheap if it's not a smartphone..

In a few days, after the update works (hoping) then go buy another Epic..

Just make sure when you return your phone that your account is upgrade eligable.  If it isn't then you won't have a phone NOR a discount on an upgrade..

Steve Radich

www.BitShop.com/blogs.aspx

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello,

Sure I would agree. My problem is that I got this phone on a new account.  I didn't upgrade.  So I don't have an old phone to go back to.  I did have to return the phone on 9/2 because the screen went out, but I don't think that extends my 30 day trial by 2 days.  Since I got the phone on 8/31 today is my last day to return it.

Also, the tech just told me that this capping issue is not included in this release because Samsung hasn't provided one along with improving the battery.

I'm hoping that Desi responds with additional information.

Thanks,

Joe

Highlighted
Journeyman

You wouldn't happen to be anywhere near chicago would you?  If you're not afraid of being stalked by someone with upload issues , post a major city you're around and maybe someone would loan you one of their much older phones.  I know I have at least 5 of them laying around, and while I'm not ready to part with my TP2, I'd gladly let you use/have one of my old treos for a few days.  Nothing amazing for sure, but it'll make calls for 2 days while you read reports on the fix, and has A browser...  Hopefully someone else would be willing to help you with that as well if you happen to live anywhere near them, as I'm sure everyone has older phones who've been with sprint a while.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello,

WOW! Thank you for that!  Yes I'm in the Chicago area, western suburbs actually.

I'm currently on the phone with Samsung support to try to get a determination if this fix is included in this release or not.  I'm on hold and will update when they come back.

Thanks,

Joe

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat