Re: 3G Upload Capped?

Hello duane.anderson,

What city are you in?

Thanks,

Joe

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, apparently today is "DO OR DIE" day for a lot of us who bought the phones on the rollout day (August 31st)

Cutting it very close to the wire, unfortunately...

As to whether or not I am going to return this phone today, it is CRUCIAL that I either:

a) receive the update myself today, and verify that this problem has been fixed.

- or -

b) at very least, I'll need to see someone else posting here that they did receive the update today, and verify that this problem was fixed for them.

If neither of these things happen, I'm afraid it's just going to force my hand, and I will have to go through the hassle of returning it to protect myself.

If Samsung/Sprint had a better track record, it would be easier to simply have "faith", but the Moment "horror stories" don't inspire confidence...

I'm not sure what is up with people who say they are getting a higher upload today, even before receiving the update, but that is not the case for me.

Crossing my fingers that I get the update soon.

(I was one of the earlier people to get DI07, just after midnight on the day it was pushed out - although who knows if that has any bearing on future pushes... but so far, almost 12 hours into the day, I have still not received the newest update...)

PLEASE - whoever gets this update first that happens to post here, PLEASE write and share with us your results.

In the meantime, I am about to call customer support and try to reason with them to extend the 30 day period to at least past the point where this update can be received and tested... but I am not holding my breath... but I'll give it a shot to see what happens (it never hurts to ask, right?)

Thanks to everyone who has been contributing POSITIVELY to this thread, one way or another (both as customers and admins).

Highlighted
Wizard

I've been told the rollout timing is completely random.  The OTA process isn't tied in with purchase dates, so that's not an option.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am in Denver where the upload cap seems to have been removed.  Sadly enough, I am in the heart of the Denver Technological Center but am experiencing a weak signal.  I went outside of the office to get a better signal and obtained better upload speeds.  See attached screenshot.  412kbps upload without any updates on my phone or changing anything.  This cap was in place on Sprint's system all along....shame on you Sprint for lying to us and charging an extra $10/month for a "not-so-premium data experience".  On second thought, maybe I will still return this phone and head to T-Mobile with the G2.  I just don't think Sprint can be trusted anymore.

Highlighted
Journeyman

200 kilobits per second is still capped. Uncapped is when your upload speed is within about 20% of your download speed. If you're getting about 600 down you should get about 500 up.

I'm eagerly awaiting upgrade results and hopefully a link to the file.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Desi - Thank you for keeping us posted.

A few questions:  Can you please confirm that the firmware is indeed frozen and locked down? This means that (1) Beta tests are complete and (2) has been formally QA approved and released.  Maint. release notes don't confirm frozen firmware/checksums unless I don't understand your version numbering/ configuration control scheme.  

No firmware updates pushed out yet to end users could be pointing to last minute glitches?  I am sure that you all had to circumvent the normal release cycle and cut Beta test time down and have end user pushes lined up once you hit the GO button.  Could there be a problem with your GO button network rollout scheme if firmware was not good to go at midnight??   Clearly somebody on this forum would have had a push by now (I for one received DI07 on day 1).  Thank you

Highlighted
Journeyman

dshoem01 wrote:

I've been told the rollout timing is completely random.  The OTA process isn't tied in with purchase dates, so that's not an option.

Understood.

Again, I just hope that somebody (out of those of us who follow this particular thread intensely), will be able to report back sometime today and verify that they did get the update, and that it did correct their 3G upload issue.

If that does not happen, it may just be bad luck that nobody who gets the update today happens to post here (or doesn't have time/inclination to post results today), but considering the "30-day deadline", I (and some others, I am guessing) will have to act rationally, based on whatever information we have available to us at that point in time.

I am *really* crossing my fingers that this will happen (that some folks will get the update, it fixes their issue, and they report back to us to verify).

I *DO* want to keep this phone. I like the handset itself, immensely more than any other I have had the chance to use.

Today I will be watching my phone constantly, and refreshing this thread constantly... hoping for the best.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think I'm with Duane on this one.  I've been openly speculating on a few forums over the past week that I think this upload cap is being enforced at the network level and not the phone level.  I have seen other posts like his at other sites, where the user did nothing to update the phone today and they are now "magically" uncapped.

I get the feeling that this "fix" that is rolling out is nothing more than a placebo with some minor fixes for other things.  It would be a perfect way for Sprint to uncap everyone on the network and not admit fault for the cap, by pushing a supposed "fix" around the same time as they lift the cap.  Call me a conspiracy theorist, but this makes tons of sense when you consider what folks like Duane are reporting here and elsewhere.

Highlighted
Journeyman

kristv1 wrote:

I think I'm with Duane on this one.  I've been openly speculating on a few forums over the past week that I think this upload cap is being enforced at the network level and not the phone level.  I have seen other posts like his at other sites, where the user did nothing to update the phone today and they are now "magically" uncapped.

I get the feeling that this "fix" that is rolling out is nothing more than a placebo with some minor fixes for other things.  It would be a perfect way for Sprint to uncap everyone on the network and not admit fault for the cap, by pushing a supposed "fix" around the same time as they lift the cap.  Call me a conspiracy theorist, but this makes tons of sense when you consider what folks like Duane are reporting here and elsewhere.

Well, if *everyone* suddenly saw their "cap" go away, prior to the update installing, then I might be more inclined to believe the "conspiracy theory".

The only thing that I can go by so far is that I have not received the update yet, and my "cap" situation remains unchanged (no higher than 150kbps).

I am in downtown Saint Louis (fairly major city, I think?). So I currently have decent signal/reception.

Download looks OK. Upload still does not.

So if we have just a few, random, people who saw their "cap" go away on its own, pre-update... I don't know how to interpret that.

"Insufficent data at the moment, Starchild."

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ahhhh...but if they uncap EVERYONE at the same time, it would make it pretty obvious that Sprint was capping at the network level though, now wouldn't it?  Then Sprint would have to face the wrath of Epic owners (and media) about lying to everyone about there being a cap placed by them.

It would make a lot of sense for Sprint to uncap areas/users over time so that as the OTA fix gets pushed out over the next 4 days, the uncapping will appear to coincide with the OTA fix (and not appear as a separate thing that Sprint did on the network).  Just food for thought....

I've worked in the telecommunications industry for far too long and know that these sorts of things don't just magically fix themselves.  Something/someone has to intervene in order for the situation to change.  I've lost track of how many phone lines and circuits I've had to call in a ticket with a provider for.  They will send a tech out, and the tech will claim they did nothing (not even a test!) and all of a sudden the line/circuit is working.  It's complete B.S..  Certain problems (especially on data circuits) don't just magically go away with no intervention.  It's just the telecom company covering its ass and deflecting blame by claiming they've done nothing and the problem just "went away".  Yeah, right....

Message was edited by: kristv1

Highlighted
Journeyman

Gunkldunk--

If you are in the STL, which is a highly covered 4G city, why don't you just use 4G?  The rest of us aren't blessed with such 4G goodness yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I get *pretty good* 4g where I'm at.  With 4g on, my battery dies in hours.  It's good for an occassional spat but hogs too much battery to just leave on.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat