cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Upload Capped?

Highlighted
Journeyman

3G Upload Capped?

For some odd reason my Epic is unable to upload faster than 150 kbps when on the 3g data network, no matter how many bars I have (first test in the image is on Wifi).  I've tested it side by side with a palm pre, and the pre was able to consistently hit 400-500 kbps.

Is this a software issue, hardware issue, or a sprint capping issue?

638 REPLIES 638
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same problem on my Epic, I even replaced my first for another one and they both have the same issue. The upload is capped under 160kb/s no matter how good the signal is. I have tried speed tests at a bunch of different locations to make sure its not the tower at my work and home. And I've tried different speed test, they all give the same max speed. I upgraded from a HTC Hero and I've ran bandwidth tests and it gets over 300-500 kb/s on upload when the signal is good. Sprint needs to look into the issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm seeing the same thing on my Epic. I need to see some effort from sprint on this or this device is going back as my old provider would gladly take me back.

I have a problem with paying top dollar for a high end device PLUS paying an additional $10/month for true unlimited and 4g capability(which is not currently turned up in my area) and now being capped at ~150kbps???

Brian

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too am having the slow upload problem on 3g.  Sprint please get your head out of the sand and fix.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Phone Info shows EVDO RevA -76dbm,

SpeedTest.net app on 3G shows 389/145.  I live in a 3G hole though, so that's not suprising.

On 4G it shows 1341 / 808.  Again, I live in a 4G hole, so that's about right.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

wengla02 wrote:

Phone Info shows EVDO RevA -76dbm,

SpeedTest.net app on 3G shows 389/145.  I live in a 3G hole though, so that's not suprising.

On 4G it shows 1341 / 808.  Again, I live in a 4G hole, so that's about right.

With a -86dbm (why does the Epic only seem to report dbm at -65, -76, -86, -91?) I got download speeds of 1893kbps this morning at my desk and upload speeds of 149 kbps.  I just tested it again and got 1940 down and 143 up.

I have no 4G to test, so....

Message was edited by: UFLG8R

Message was edited by: UFLG8R

Highlighted
Wizard

This has been reported and is being looked into by the device team.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Highlighted
Journeyman

should I cancel my service and return my two epics since apparently all the tech calls that I and others have made and the support tickets that were open apparently weren't at this sprint?

How about sprint takes their head out of the donkeys rear end and gets one 4G phone thats worth the money.  I have 2 minutes of full real upload speeds on Sunday night to prove that its not a hardware problem. its either sprint or damn crappy software.  but for sure if its not fixed, I'll return the phones and I'll probably have to go prepaid for a bit or something until Tmobile comes out with the G2.  and i'd rather slit my throat then go back to Tmobile, but there is no way I'm paying 500 dollars for two phones plus 20 dollars a month for premium data when i'm getting 2004 data speeds.

Message was edited by: robl45

Message was edited by: robl45

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think that until Sprint and Samsung can fix the problem they should credit every Epic owner $10/mo on their bill until the problem is resolved. At least if someone lives in a 4G market they have an upload alternative. Those of us in 3G-only land can only rely on WiFi at this point, which essentially defeats the purpose of having a MOBILE phone with high-speed data capabilities.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just want to chime in that my family and I all switched to Sprint and I bought five(5) Epic 4G's.  All five of the Epic's have the same capped 150kbps upload speed.

I seriously doubt the hardware is at fault.  It's more than likely a driver issue.

Please get this fixed Sprint!

Highlighted
Journeyman

LOL!!!  I just ran this test and I got a whopping 335 kbps download and 48 kbps upload!  WOW!

Thanks,

Joe

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem here. My Touch Pro easily managed 300-400kbit/s upload in San Fran, but my Epic is capped at 150. Fix this Sprint! You're charging us MORE money for less.

Message was edited by: firondraak32

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat