cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Upload Capped?

Highlighted
Journeyman

3G Upload Capped?

For some odd reason my Epic is unable to upload faster than 150 kbps when on the 3g data network, no matter how many bars I have (first test in the image is on Wifi).  I've tested it side by side with a palm pre, and the pre was able to consistently hit 400-500 kbps.

Is this a software issue, hardware issue, or a sprint capping issue?

638 REPLIES 638
Highlighted
Journeyman

For those who might be questioning what Speedtest.net gives for reults....

I compared it a whole lot to broser based tests on several sites and the results were always nearly identical withion a few points up or down....so it is not an app issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@d1etrichmd

I used the email address someone posted couple of pages back and also dan@sprint.com (which generated a canned response). I found the director of consumer protection of the FTC through google. You can also contact your state's attorney general office, and your local BBB office.

I called customer service and explained (calmly) that I am not getting what I am paying for. I explained the issue and asked them to waive the fee, as I am not getting "premium data" level of service currently.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also just emailed newsmanager@foxnews.com  I suggest that we start getting more media outlets involved.  If there is more public coverage of it, we might get that fix.  I saw a website or two that had already covered it but they are not as mainstream as fox or cnn......just a thought.  If I get an email back from either Mr. Hesse or Fox News, I will post it on here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

1) People that are posting on here, arguing over the term "capped" or the speed "150k", "170k", "200k" simply don't understand the fundamental issue, are not contributing anything worthwhile and should not be posting in this thread.

2) Someone pointed out in this thread about issues with the Samsung Moment.  Out of curiosity I went and read about the issues with the Moment and WOW.  Sprint / Samsung have not accepted the fact that the Moment will randomly TURN OFF THE RADIO, as in you can not make or receive calls or texts or anything.  That is a fundamental and completely unacceptable flaw, I simply can not think of a worst case scenario and Sprint / Samsung, after almost a year, still have done nothing about that and we think that our 150k (average) maximum upload speed will even hit their radar?  You may as well write to Santa and the Easter Bunny.

I'm very disappointed in Sprint.  I've been a Spint customer and investor since when they were a fledgling long distance company.  The market is up, time to unload Sprint stock.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just spoke with level 3 technical support, whatever that means, at Samsung. He told me that it is a problem that they know about and they are working with Sprint on this issue.

Here is where I got a bit upset with the tech support gentleman: he says that this is a phone that is geared for 4G. I almost jumped through the phone! First of all 4G is not available in the majority of the country. Second there are numerous reports that 4g doesn't penetrate buildings to well, so we will continue to need 3G. Third 4G uses so much battery life that we cannot have it on all the time.

He did say they are "working on it", but I think we need to continue to make noise.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@eyehud

Ok, I went back to page 15 and couldn't find info.  Can you just paste the info from your sent items to here?

Thanks

Highlighted
Wizard

I continue to see and edit posts with comments regarding legal actions/lawsuits.  This is the second time I've mentioned on this thread that you are more than welcome to discuss these actions all you want, but not on this forum.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Currently on phone with the Executive Customer Service and they are saying that they cannot issue a credit for the $10 as its a DEVICE charge.  She then proceeded to tell me that its probably just my device and that I need to take it to a repair center and have them look at it.  EDIT:

Continuing on, the lady from sprint is calling my local sprint store (tech department) to find out what they know.  Also, I was told that there are 100's of thousands of epics WITHOUT this problem -- something that is obviously not correct.  I was also told that if I exchanged my epic for an evo, I would be stuck with a $15 restocking fee -- along with not being able to give me a $10 credit on my service -- just doesn't cut it!

I've been a customer for 4 years now sprint, and you are about to lose me over this one.

Message was edited by: d1etrichmd

Highlighted
Journeyman

I realize that this may be difficult, but I would like to look into the temperature correlation to upload speed. Maybe someone lives in a cooler area and can use the phone outside where the phone can dump more heat? Then compare to inside, record the inside and outside temperatures and the upload speeds from the two ambient temperatures? Another option would be to use the phone in still air and then in the output of a very cold A/C vent. If the temperature of the phone could be measured and recorded, that would be nice as well. I would assume that an ambient temperature difference of greater than 20 degrees F would be required.

I have the temperature measurement equipment if someone in the Phoenix/Tempe area wants to try to work with me. I don't have an Epic and don't want to spend the money to get one right now.

If there is a buffer problem, the CPU or other processing unit or radio unit may be putting out much more heat than normal due to excessive calculations. If we can quantify this heat increase, we can provide both Samsung and Sprint with additional information to solve the problem. Getting it to the right people may be hard, but at least we MAY be able to find out what is actually causing the problem.

Another option would be to see if someone at XDA knows how to monitor the data stream to and from the radio. I know that the Captivate has a random shutdown problem related to the way the power management software handles the phone. One of the elites there managed to log the power management control output and determined what the problem was.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@d1etrichmd

Dan Hesse email is posted on message 378. I will post any response Im going to get (other than the canned response I already got).

As far as waiving the fee, I guess I just got lucky. But I definitely understand and can relate to your frustration getting the runaround.

Highlighted
Journeyman

oh yeah:

Executive Customer Service told me to take my phone to a sprint store (corporate one) and exchange it...just to test it.  I will be doing so within the hour, and will let everyone know the results there.

I explained to her that I will do this 1x.  If it does not work, I will be swapping to an EVO and I flat out refuse to pay a restocking fee.  So the choice is theirs on how to keep or lose a customer...especially over something as petty as $10 and $15 respectivly    

Highlighted
Journeyman

ildberg wrote:

Here are some helpful observations about SpeedTest.  These are my observations/theories, but they seem solid from my experiences:

1) Speedtest has a quirk in that the speeds from the "Save to CSV and email" are 1.28x higher than the ones displayed on the screen.  This means that the "cap" is either 150k (on the phone screen) or 192k (as saved in the csv).

The rest of your post concluding it caps at 150 is correct but your first statement on Speediest is not correct. Speediest is being consistent.You are confusing Kilobytes and kilobits which can come up alternately in the reports. Notice that the 12.8 (not 1.28)  differential is the inverse of 8? that is the difference between bytes and bits.

I just searched and saw the same thing in another forum where based on the CSV a guy claimed his speeds were fine and fast at 775 in the Speedtest CSV. A look at his posted CVS showed 775 kilobits, which are actually speeds of 90 Kilobytes per second, or 1/5 average 4G speeds.

So don't worry about countering the people doing bad testing and coming up with claimed higher numbers. Sprint isn't getting any more than 150kilobytes per second. None of us doing serious credible testing are. They know it is the limit, we known it, everyone knows it. At this point third party test sites are reviewing and getting a max of 150

I think Sprint missed a huge bug, and it boggles the mind, but I do think Sprint is now working full force on a solution.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat