cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Upload Capped?

Highlighted
Journeyman

3G Upload Capped?

For some odd reason my Epic is unable to upload faster than 150 kbps when on the 3g data network, no matter how many bars I have (first test in the image is on Wifi).  I've tested it side by side with a palm pre, and the pre was able to consistently hit 400-500 kbps.

Is this a software issue, hardware issue, or a sprint capping issue?

638 REPLIES 638
Highlighted
Journeyman

As others have mentioned, the right thing would be for Sprint to extend the 30 day return period until the problem is fixed - but I am skeptical that will happen.

As others have mentioned, the legal folks were careful not to acknowledge a problem so that SPrint can still try to collect the ETFs if the problem is not fixed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As others have mentioned, the right thing would be for Sprint to extend the 30 day return period until the problem is fixed - but I am skeptical that will happen.

I'm pretty sure they won't.  But you never know.

As others have mentioned, the legal folks were careful not to acknowledge a problem so that SPrint can still try to collect the ETFs if the problem is not fixed.

I just got off the phone with them about 20 minutes ago to complain  about a few things including the 3G upload issue.  Both the tech support  rep and the return rep flat out said there are no issues with  uploading, nor any other issue I brought up, even after I brought up the fact that this is the TOP thread on their forums.  I really just wanted them to mark on my account that I did  in fact complain about that along with not being able to download MMS  while on wifi.

The main reason I called though is to get a replacement for the back button issue which is driving me NUTS!

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK, Sprint, My Epic was just delivered.  You've got 28 days to get it right, or its going back.

Highlighted
Journeyman

According to Android Central (http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-samsung-prepping-update-fix-epic-4g-upload-speeds)

Here's the official word from Sprint:

"We have heard reports of users experiencing less-than-expected 3G upload speeds with their Samsung Epic 4G. After extensive investigation, Sprint and Samsung have identified an enhancement that may improve upload speeds on the Epic. This fix will be made available in the next maintenance release. It’s important to note that network speeds are impacted by many factors when using commercially-available speed test applications and test results may or may not be true indicator of the actual network performance."

This is what we heard from Desi, but it is getting out in the wild, now. Hopefully this will get the pressure on to actually deliver.

Message was edited by: jasonf514

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Android Central blog post is just a rehash of what Desi told us here. My offer for beta testing a few messages up was made for several reasons:

1. I agree with other posters... we've heard these sorts of weasel statements before where nothing stated is concrete. Acknowledging that there "may" be a problem without a firm delivery date of the fix is not an acknowledgement at all. In fact, it changes very little in the eyes of many people here. It may keep a few more on board but once these customers get burned then they'll never trust another manufacturer again.

2. Someone stated that Sprint has a network of beta testers already so they don't need us. If these beta testers do exist then why have they missed so many glaringly large problems in this phone? I found a list of 17 show-stopping bugs within the first 3 hours of using this phone. You can draw your own conclusions about how the 3G upload problem and the massive GPS lock problem were missed by Sprint's device team and their beta testers. The simple fact is Sprint needs us, the community, involved in beta testing. It's a great PR move and an even better way to squash the lingering bugs in this phone.

3. Letting us beta test also keeps Sprint honest. At this point, I'd be far more willing to trust one of us than a Sprint employee saying they've got a beta fix straight from Sprint and tell us things are working. If there were several of us with beta fixes and they were all saying the same thing then I'd be even more trusting. Of coure, we'd still need an ETA but that's the only solution at this point.

Desi, don't get me wrong... the statement had to be put out but we need an estimated date of release. In the mean time, I'd like to get a 30-day extension on the money-back garauntee while Sprint prepares the fix. I honestly want this phone to work but it's too much money to risk a non-working phone for 2 years. If not, then I'm still returning my 3 Epic 4G phones on October 5. For those of you that have money to spend like it's growing on trees or enjoy taking risky gambles... I wish you luck.

Highlighted
Journeyman

too many people going on about extending the deadlines for returns, you really gonna waste an hour of your time on the phone getting aggravated about that?  if they don't fix it, you take your phone or phones, go to a corporate sprint store on Saturday afternoon, you know when they are taking names and are really busy and insist you are returning your phone because sprint never fixed it ETF free.  You think they really want to waste time on you?    If necessary, you start yelling in the store and it will get done.  You guys really giving sprint way too much power in this matter.  I just want them to fix the stupid thing already, but I fear like the rest that the May is not for legal reasons, its so they can snag people into contract.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Solution pending or not, I am waiting until it has been proven to even consider the phone again. Maybe even until Android 2.2 is released and the bugs are worked out of that release. I don't see what you lose by returning the phone inside your 30 day agreement. Get your money back and re-purchase once that problem is fixed, if it ever is.

Highlighted
Journeyman

azgli2076 wrote:

Solution pending or not, I am waiting until it has been proven to even consider the phone again. Maybe even until Android 2.2 is released and the bugs are worked out of that release. I don't see what you lose by returning the phone inside your 30 day agreement. Get your money back and re-purchase once that problem is fixed, if it ever is.

My intention was to deal with Sprint in a "good faith" manner so they didn't end up with 3 more returned Epic 4G phones to add to the thousands that will be coming back starting in a few days. I suppose you're right--Sprint's handling of these issues have been nothing short of juvenile. They take us customers for fools. Samsung hasn't really shown us any "good faith" by giving us a date on when the slow 3G upload issue fix will be delivered or whether the GPS lock issue will be addressed in the same update so maybe we should be just as cut-throat.

Come October 5, maybe the best plan is to port the 3 mobile numbers back to AT&T, activate 3 month-to-month SIM cards for the phones I already had, return the 3 Epic 4G phones in my possession, and wait it out. At least Sprint takes a 30 day usage hit on 3 phones and gets 3 used Epic 4G phones back. Multiplying that out by thousands is real money and their reputation in the Android smartphone space is now sullied indefinitely. If the bugs get fixed quickly (and before the next great Android keyboard-phones come out) then I may come back. Otherwise, T-Mobile is coming out with the G2 which looks great. HTC is releasing the Desire Z in the next month or two. Both phones are Android 2.2, have a keyboard, and are much more likely to be supported properly unlike the Samsung/Sprint Epic 4G fiasco.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Salters88 wrote:

I returned my two Epics to Wirefly. And got to Evo's today from Radioshack. Just in time for another software update :-). Android 2.2, fps unlocked and check the stats.

1529kbps down

635kbps up

Signal doesn't drop out 5 times a day like the Epic and notice the full bars in my house. Where I would get 1-2 on the Epic

I too have sadly decided not to take the risk with the Epic.  I learned first hand how slow and carefree Sprint can be toward fixing phones, especially once the majority of purchasers have gone beyond their 30 day period.  I bought the original Instinct and what a nightmare it was for a solid 3 months until the first significant update.  Thereafter, it was other updates which broke things that worked and failed to fix things which were of utmost importance.

The Epic is a beauty, but everyone should save themselves the grief and heartache from hoping/praying Sprint will step up and do the right thing.  It's honestly just not their business model to do so.

I stopped in Radio Shack near my house and the guy said he could get me an Evo in time for my renewal come Oct 1st.  Not my first choice, but I just can't trust Sprint any longer.  If the savings werent so great, I would have ditched Sprint immediately after the Instinct debacle.

Best of luck to you guys who hang on to the Epic and take the risk.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Interesting, all the big Epic 4G forums across the internet have multi-page threads with a large majority of people saying this phone is going to be returned. Everyone keeps pointing to Sprint's history with the still-broken-to-this-day Moment and how many users felt abandoned once they were locked in a contract. Moment users were promised updates too because their phone's radio stopped working which resulted in a 'dead' phone. It took months for an update to come out and that update never fully fixed the problem. This is why Sprint probably put "may" in that press release about fixing the 3G upload cap.

Furthermore, Samsung still hasn't fixed GPS problems on other Galaxy S phones that came out before the Epic 4g. In fact, how many of you remember that Samsung put out a press release 2 weeks before the Epic 4G was to be released stating the GPS issues are completely fixed in the Epic 4G? Don't believe me? Here you go:

http://www.gadgetvenue.com/galaxy-gps-problems-fixed-samsung-epic-4g-08190515/

Sprint's reputation is shot as well as Samsung's reputation. I've decided to return my 3 Epic 4G phones this weekend instead of waiting until October 5. I'll report back once everything is returned and I've moved on. I encourage everyone else reading this thread to not cut Sprint any slack and return the phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would swear to congress on this one.

For GPS so far I have NEVER had my GPS show me no more than 30ft.  Sure it may still take me a little longer to "lock on" but it locks on and makes me no more than 30ft.  Doesn't matter what GPS utility i use.  A faulty GPS is a GPS that doesn't work at all regardless of what range it shows you, or how long it takes to fully lock you on.  My Nexus One shows me farther away than the Epic 4G does.

As far as them not fixing the upload...  Returning you device is the best thing you can do.  Don't bother calling in and complaining about it now.  It's all over the place and they should know.  If they fix it you can always buy it back later, and if they don't you don't have to cry about it anymore.

I can show you other devices that people claim they will be going to and they have similar problems.  All devices have "bad lemons" and a small demographic actually visit forums to complain about it.  So 90% of the 10%(being very generous) of people who visit forums may complain about it, but in reality it may be only 10% of the total sold actually have the problems.

Sure the upload speed can be a bother for a lot of people, and yes you should return your device if you don't think it will not be fixed anytime soon.  Returning your device will do more than complaining with the other 90% of 10% of users of forums to get them to fix the problems anytime sooner.

2-3 million people returning their Galaxy S devices will do more than 100,000 people complaining about it.  They lose out on money when you return vs. keeping the money in their pocket.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tidbits808 wrote:

I would swear to congress on this one.

For GPS so far I have NEVER had my GPS show me no more than 30ft.  Sure it may still take me a little longer to "lock on" but it locks on and makes me no more than 30ft.  Doesn't matter what GPS utility i use.  A faulty GPS is a GPS that doesn't work at all regardless of what range it shows you, or how long it takes to fully lock you on.  My Nexus One shows me farther away than the Epic 4G does.

The GPS issue on the Epic 4G is also just as well documented as the upload issue. The 30 feet accuracy you talk about is a 'hard-coded' mistake on the Epic 4G. The Anandtech interview noted this problem as well. The consensus is that, out of all the smartphones out right now, the Epic 4G's GPS performance is at the bottom. My Nokia E71 is several years old and still has better performance than the Epic 4G. Anyway, I'm done complaining. As we've all seen, the traffic in this thread has dropped to a trickle. I suspect many people have returned their devices and moved on. I'll return mine Saturday.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat