cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Upload Capped?

Highlighted
Journeyman

3G Upload Capped?

For some odd reason my Epic is unable to upload faster than 150 kbps when on the 3g data network, no matter how many bars I have (first test in the image is on Wifi).  I've tested it side by side with a palm pre, and the pre was able to consistently hit 400-500 kbps.

Is this a software issue, hardware issue, or a sprint capping issue?

638 REPLIES 638
Highlighted
Journeyman

I wasn't able to verify the improved upload speed on my phone.  Still hitting just under 150 up. (p.s, I know I'm chiming in at the 11th hour, but I've been reading this post from near the beginning...man that's a lot of email updates).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello,

If that was/is true, they haven't made it to Chicago yet.

Thanks,

Joe

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just a theory:

4 time zones, 4 days of updates....perhaps 1 TZ / day?

When did you receive the D107 update?  How many days after the initial push?  My guess it will correspond with that one as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ouch!  I think it was the third day.

I'm really hoping that someone will post results so we can confirm that this is fixed.

Thanks,

Joe

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mine came on the 4th day, I think.

Interesting observation that this is DI18 which means it was released internally on the 18th. That's 12 days of testing. Kind of fun to look back at the last 12 days of posts and see how much discussion was going on about getting this fix out while all the time there was a fix circulating among testers.

Would have been nice if Desi or someone would have told us how their tests were going. I know that would have brought a deluge of "let me test too!" responses, but it still would have been nice in the "transparency" department. Sprint, the more you tell us about your progress, the more we feel that you care.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For anyone that is in a hurry to get the new update, keep checking the various other Android forums as I'm sure it'll will be posted for those that want to manually update their phones. Next, once your phone is updated check the phone's CPU utilization while uploading. As had been reported before, the Epic 4G starts lagging because of a CPU spike upon uploading data.

The easiest way to test this is to play music in the background and then start sending an email with a few big pictures attached. Your music should not skip and you should be able to navigate around the phone's interface without any problems. If it does then this is not normal and points to a much bigger problem. Make sure the email you sent actually makes it intact at the destination.

Highlighted
Journeyman

isn't it funny that this was supposedly released at midnight 9/30 and yet not one person has it yet??  if it was released 12 hours ago, it would be on the forums already.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not to seem ungrateful or anything, but there's no fix for the GPS problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

at this point there is no fix at all, gps or otherwise.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow!  My upload speeds were just uncapped within the last 10 minutes.  I have been following this thread pretty much since it started and only have a few days left within my 30 days to return the phone.  I can tell you this, I have been eager for the update to come out this morning but all the while, have also been running speedtests all morning just because I am totally obsessed with Sprint getting this problem fixed.  I have not received the update yet, I am only connected to 3G since 4G is not available in my area yet, and I have not rebooted my phone.  It just magically started uploading faster which proves that the cap was in place on Sprint's system all along and had nothing to do with a software or hardware/firmware problem.  Since my upload cap has been lifted, I am no longer looking forward to the update that was supposed to start rolling out today in fear that it may break something else.  I hope everyone else that has been closely following this thread starts to experience the increased upload speed as I just did.  Run your Speedtest app and see what you get now.  Thanks to Sprint for listening to its users, acknowledging the problem, and finally getting it fixed (even though they did in a way lie to us since the cap was in place on their systems and in no way phone related).  Looks like I will be staying with Sprint after all and won't have to switch back to T-Mobile and the G2 that comes out on the 6th.  Check out the screenshot.  Maybe they capped us at 200kbps now?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  ...or I am praying I am just in a bad reception area!

Highlighted
Journeyman

200kbps! Are you're okay with that? I've seen reports of higher speeds around the various forums today. Your case must be one of the "may fix" ones that Sprint's legal team was referring to in that statement a few days ago.

Highlighted
Journeyman

duane...

I have been bouncing between 130 and 200k for the last few days.  However, that is still WAY to low for proper 3g.  My palm pre, sitting next to my epic, was consitantly getting 680k upload speeds.  Even the EVO that I tested in the store next to my epic was getting 660kish  Im thinking that the update will be necessary for this problem to be fixed.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat