cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4th Epic and more problems

Journeyman

I am on my 4th Epic the first 3 I got just stopped working all together, 2 of them froze during the night while charging and I had to pull the battery to restart them and after a battery pull both were completely dead, my 3rd Epic died after 2 days. Now the 4th Epic I have is now not sending texts if I don't power cycle the phone at least once or twice a day. I called customer support yesterday, after he checked to make sure there were no outages or network issues he had me do a hard reset where the phone is like brand new and that didn't even help so he suggested I take it back to a Sprint store and exchange it for another since I have TEP. My question is I am about a week past my 30 days but after 4 Epics would or should the store offer me a different phone? I am not so sure I want another Epic and would rather try a different phone than keep exchanging Epic for Epic. I just want a phone thats going to work and its really crappy when you try to send a text and 1 time it goes thru and the next it won't.

27 REPLIES 27
Journeyman

WOW! How badly do you abuse your phones?

The only thing I'm wondering if you have an insurance then you can have it fixed. Else, you have to wait until your contract is up and change to another.

Journeyman

I don't abuse my phones at all actually. I have the hard plastic snap on case for it I bought when I got the first phone at the Sprint store. The only time the phone isn't sitting on my desk at work or my nightstand at home is if Im using it or its in my pocket. So to ask if I abuse my phone the answer would be no. I have had several other android phones when I was with verizon and dropped them and had far worse happen to them then any of the Epics I have had and none of them ever had an issues. Just looking at the forums here you can see I am not the only 1 that has problems with this phone, and if you search the internet there are lots more. All the Epics I have had have issues but the latest one is a matter of being able to use service I pay for and it not working, and like I said in my original post I called customer care and talked to tech support and the guy I spoke to said it was most likely an issue with the phone because he said if a hard reset didn't fix it and there were no network issues in my area it was the phone. I am not asking for much I just want my phone to work and since I am on my 4th Epic I would like to get something different rather than have to trade out phones once every 2 to 4 weeks.

Journeyman

My experience with the Epic 4G has been nothing short of horrible. Here are the issues that bug me on a daily basis, and I tolerate them because I am passing through such a crazily busy schedule at work:

1) SLOW. Sometimes I need to power it up to bring it to usable speed.

2) Unresponsive screen.

3) Black outs in the middle of app updates or when I am switching around settings screens and such.

4) When data connection is on, expecially 3G the caller on the other side is unable to hear me.

Apart from this a myriad little oddities here and there and bugs the crap out of me. Back in 2005 I had a Samsung phone with issues and I had pledged not to buy a Samsung ever again. I had a hassle-free time with my Sanyo phone for the longest time until I got wooed away by the stunning screen of the Samsung Epic. This is a garbage of a phone and I would ask everyone to keep away from it.

Question to smorrison: I have TEP as well. How do I go about asking for a replacement for my device. Although I would absolutely want a different phone unless I have to shell out a hefty amount of money.

Journeyman

I believe you smorrison74108, but that phone can't be that bad for you to go through 2-3 since you got it. The other thing is, would you have come to this forum if you didn't have any issues with your phone? Most of the people who come to these forums are the ones with issues, otherwise, you won't see them here

I understand your frustration. Some of us come here to help the ones with issues if we can. And, everyone here is really helpful I must say.

Journeyman

Re: 4th Epic and more problems

With all due respect, I have experienced the same issue. I am on my third Epic 4g. None of them have been abused, dropped, or had un-trusted apps installed. I went so far as to install Gingerbread 2.3.3, latest clockwork, and rooted it. The phone continues to malfunction. A virtual myriad of odd problems. The fon only works for a random amount of time after a factory reset. Why have I gone through 3 phones? Simply put, Sprint policy. I would have to incur additional expenses and spend more time in what appears to be a futile effort to be issued a 4th device that I have no faith in. Sprint will not send a different device at no charge because the problems began after my inital purchase in early May. Since, every 2 or 3 weeks I picked up a new device  I've always been satisfied with sprint; this is sorely disappointing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I understand your frustration. As for Gingerbread, Samsung acknowledges there are issues with it so you get to use at your own risk. My suggestion would be to go back to the earlier version of rom (whichever you had) and wait until they fix the issues. Also, since you are rooted I would suggest you to use different roms and see which one fits your taste better. I'm just wondering how can there be problems with all 3 phones?

Journeyman

I understand your question. Ide ask the same one. Ive managed a dozen or so telecom projects ranging in scope from a Tie communications system with 20 ground start pots lines to an Avaya system, 4 dedicated Ts, an S8000 media server and several hundred devices. ACD, skill based routing, autoattendant, trunk management, system programming etc etc etc. So, Ive got the background and tech skill. But I cant get this phone to work right. It's cool that its in open source but I think I'll stop there. I am persistent, sometimes obsessive and have an insatiable intellectual curiosity for tech so I really wanna get this phone working right. I need a physical keyboard, want a droid and this is the best reviewed highest rated device. After installing Ef02, the phone worked for bout a week. Then yesterday I received 2 calls. The phones display showed two different contacts, both personal friends.I listen to my V.M. and one call was from a proprietary software vendor I work with and the other my physician. Additionally, the numbers were added to my friends contact profile as secondary cell numbers. LMAO. When I say odd problems I mean it. This is just one example of a number of really weird bugs. But I still want to get the phone working right....must have been read that story about the train that wouldnt give up too many times as a child. Anyway, do you have any suggestions, can you help or point me in the right direction? Thanks

Journeyman

Try the EF10 and see if anything changes. Just go to Firmware Update and it will do. Honestly, I didn't like them both. I ran the Gingerbread with EF02/EF10 they were giving me a lot of error messages so I had to go back to EC05. I don't know which rom will work better for you cuz you have to read their features but I use Bonsai's Gingerbread version.

Journeyman

Thanks. I'll give it a try. Also, I'm experiencing a similiar visual voicemail issue you discussed. Difference being that the V.M. notifications appear late or not at all. I just started using the old way of checking VMs. Press one. Thanks again

Journeyman

Here's an update on the modem firmware. After my last post I decided to update to EF02/EF10. Like before the Force Closes came back. So what I did was I restored all the missing apps and data with Titanium Backup that I had done earlier and the FC's went away. Everything works fine now. Now I have to wait and see how the battery does on this modem or if I get any other errors.

Wizard

I apologize about your issue. I believe swapping out the device is not the solution, because you keep having issues with the devices. The text messaging issue that you are running into is a network issue. I would called tech support so that we could go through some troubleshooting steps with you and create a network ticket if we need to. The other issues that you are running into would need to be checked out at a store or call into tech support for some troubleshooting. These issues that you are running into besides the text messaging issues could be related to applications that were downloaded from the Market or something else downloaded to the device.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat