cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4th Epic and more problems

Journeyman

Ok, so I went ahead and got a relacement Epic 4G. It seemed to work well for the first two days, and then hell broke lose once again. It started to make hissing noises when I was on the phone. Remember those dial-up modems, or when you call a phone number and the fax machine picks up? Not quite like those, but similar. It's a strange electrical static with occasional 'clicks'. At one point it was making that even on stand by. It was creepy, like the phone was haunted. So, I went back again and another replacement is on the way.

Of course this is just the 'major' issue that I am facing now; but as GLKOSIK1 has stated, this phone is riddled with issues. Small and big. Little things that get on your nerves. This replacement is the last one I am going to try. If this doesn't work, I will talk to the regional manager to switch the phone altogether. I do not have the time or the patience to tolerate such a piece of junk. No matter how big the ratings are.

Journeyman

I called tech support 4 times about issues and none of the troubleshooting did anything and they were the ones to suggest a new device. As for it being a network issues explain to me how my wife's phone which is also an epic sitting side by side with mine has none of these issues. If it was applications then its the junk sprint and samsung have preloaded because I did multiple hard resets on the last phone and once again it didn't do anything to solve any problems. I don't know why almost anyone that speaks for sprint wants to blame the network for everything, the last tech I spoke to looked for 20 minutes to make sure there were no network issues in my area and there wasn't even tho the guy I spoke to said there was, and if it is the network causing certain problems then I should be getting creditted on every single bill because 9 out of 10 times half the stuff I pay sprint for doesn't work. Why should I pay for service I am not getting? I don't care if its a handset issue or network issue thats causing the problems, if I am paying for service I should get that service, if not then the company should try to resolve my issue and thats not happening at all. I am not at all happy with sprint's service and I am trying to be patient about things and give sprint a chance to get it worked out but going on 7 weeks of constant problems is wearing me out to say the least.

Wizard

Learn how to root, people, to never have a single problem.  I never have a single problem.  Its blazing fast and battery life lasts me 2 days with heavy use.  Be smart, people, because its a smartphone. 🙂

Journeyman

Thanks EpicThunder, but I truly think the true 'smartness' of a 'smartphone' lies in its ability to work with 'not-so-smart' users like myself If a device needs its owner to learn a skill and apply it on it to make it work correctly, to me it is a piece of dumb !@$%, to say the least.

Wizard

The most common issues on the Epic, or any Android device for that matter, are caused by the installation of 3rd party apps. Apps that may have been designed for other models, apps designed for other software versions or apps that track and/or modify system processes. Generally speaking, if an app is to blame for an issue, simply uninstalling said app, followed by power-cycling the device should resolve the issue.

The most common apps that I've seen cause problems are anti-virus programs and task killers, of which there are dozens available in the Android Market. The most common of these apps (and they are extremely common) are Lookout Mobile Security, Anti-Virus Free, Advanced Task Killer and Juice Defender, but there are many, many others.

I highly recommend avoiding any type of anti-virus or task killer, especially anti-virus as it's almost entirely unnecessary. Task killers are almost as useless as they really don't help with battery life, which is the main reason people install them. In fact, task killers can greatly reduce battery life because they kill processes that weren't actively running in the first place.

If you're diligent in monitoring what is installed on your Android device, your experience will be much more enjoyable and issues will be few and far between. I hope this is helpful to those of you that have had these (or any other) types of problems.

Journeyman

Just because it's a Smartphone doesn't mean you have to sit back and let it do the job?!

For not-so-smart there are not-so-smart phones available 🙂

Wizard

soumyasg wrote:

Thanks EpicThunder, but I truly think the true 'smartness' of a 'smartphone' lies in its ability to work with 'not-so-smart' users like myself If a device needs its owner to learn a skill and apply it on it to make it work correctly, to me it is a piece of dumb !@$%, to say the least.

It is not the phone itself..the physical device. 🙂

Highlighted
Journeyman

The wife and I have now gone through two and my third is acting up just like the previous two. Most of the issues seem to start with the use of bluetooth, then the sound speaker volume starts messing up, then the phone autostarts all the add on apps you can't delete in the background, then the battery starts a high drain and the phone gets hot. Reboot the phone and wash/repeat every few days.  Absolutely the worst phone I've ever owned...in a few more days my upgrade time kicks in and HTC here I come...no more damsung/samdung phones.

Samsung may have made some good hardware, but they refuse to support the phone with updates unless everyone threatens a return...poor poor quality...its and epic alright, an EPIC FAILURE. Sorry folks, I gave it a year, I really tried to like it, but you can only bet on a losing horse so many times before you finally get it, it is a loser...get rid of it. There is nothing more to understand, it's a poor quality phone...move on, I am.  My last post in the epic fail forums.

Journeyman

Here's a news for you:

A friend of mine just got his HTC Evo 3D and was getting Force Closes on some of the apps.

Journeyman

I want to thank you for taking time to help me resolve my issues. Kudos to you!

Wizard

You are very welcome.

Journeyman

I have the same problem.  First day with my second Epic phone and the speaker started popping...again.  Now my phone no longer has sound for text messages.  The red light does not light up any more and it no longer has a message alert in the notifications.  Today it told me that Pandora was having problems and would have to force close.  I was just booting up my phone. I love this phone put the problems are to many to count!!  I was told it was related to the bluetooth.  Well, I did not buy a very expensive phone with bluetooth capabilities and Jawbone Era to hold my phone to my ear!!  My husband has had his EVO for longer than I have had 2 Epics and he has not had a single problem.  I am going to trade my problematic piece in for an EVO!!  I also agree that Samsung has not put out a fix or addressed the problem.  As long as we continue to put up with it, Samsung will continue on the path it is on.  My problem started just as soon as the big update from Samsung hit my phone - speaker started popping and the landslide of problems began.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat