cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9/30 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release - DI18

Journeyman

Re: 9/30 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release

The whole Samsung thing is exactly what is keeping me from getting the Epic. I hope HTC releases something like it in the near future. I'd like a keyboard again.

Journeyman

got tired of waiting for support to fix it, and didn' trust that the stores could handle it.  So I downloaded Odin 3 V1.3 (make sure, coz v1.0 hangs and you end up with a useless shiny thing) and the stock DI07 .tar file.  it took 5 minutes to do, and if this new OTA updtate fails too, I'll do it again.  Best thing is I got customer support to agree this violated nothing on the warrantee as there's nothing but stock Sprint/Samsung code on this beast.

Journeyman

Not a SINGLE PERSON got this update today. Sprint and Samsung are just playing us for fools so we don't return our phones before the 30 days is up.

GG if you believed them and didn't return your phone.

Highlighted
Wizard

We learned this evening that there were administrative issues getting this software loaded to Google's servers.  We don't yet have an expected time when this will be available but will update you as soon as possible.  Please see the statement below that was sent by the Sprint Product Management team:  

We  were planning to release an update for your Samsung Epic 4G on 9/30.   The file was delivered and on track for distribution but late this  afternoon, we learned that an administrative issue prevented Google from  releasing the update as we had planned.  We are working to resolve the  issue and will provide an update as soon as we understand the new  delivery schedule.

We  would like to clarify that  the timing of this update has nothing to do  with the 30 day return window that many of you on these blogs have been  discussing and that this delay has nothing to do with any last minute  changes within the release package itself.  The delay is simply due to  an administrative issue that we are working to resolve. 

Journeyman

That's what you get for trying to upload a large file over 3G with an Epic....

Journeyman

If it truely has nothing to do with it why doesnt Sprint extend the return window till after the update is rolled out. So people could actually see if any of the many issues are fixed on the Samsung Epic 4G.

Sounds funny

Journeyman

why dont you just upload it to sprint.com for download?

Journeyman

Hi Russ,

There are security implication to allowing a system upgrade to be downloaded from a web site such as sprint.com. I'm certain the system they have set up is more secure, and as easy to deploy updates as possible (and has more capacity than sprint.com). There are always many details as to how a software package is deployed, any one of those details can bite all of us in the butt if not done right. No sys admin wants to be in the news tomorrow because of hundreds/thousands of bricked phones! (has happened several times!).

I trust that Sprint and Google are taking necessary precautions, and my Epic is working quite well enough to wait a day or two longer for an update that installs properly!!

My 2 cents' worth...

- Earl

earldaniels wrote:

Hi Russ,

There are security implication to allowing a system upgrade to be downloaded from a web site such as sprint.com. I'm certain the system they have set up is more secure, and as easy to deploy updates as possible (and has more capacity than sprint.com). There are always many details as to how a software package is deployed, any one of those details can bite all of us in the **** if not done right. No sys admin wants to be in the news tomorrow because of hundreds/thousands of bricked phones! (has happened several times!).

I trust that Sprint and Google are taking necessary precautions, and my Epic is working quite well enough to wait a day or two longer for an update that installs properly!!

My 2 cents' worth...

- Earl

This is very true. There was a McAfee update several months ago that rendered computers useless and getting blue screen errors every time they were turned on. The issue was nothing McAfee did. It also wasn't a Microsoft issue with Windows. Every computer that had an issue with the update was already infected with malware that required a file that was modified by the update. Did anyone wait to find out the cause htough before reporting on it? No, they immediately jumped on it being either McAfee or Microsoft's fault.

In addition, over the air updates are an entirely different process to set up than a downloadable version that installs through your computer, and making an update that can be installed through the systems at a Service and Repair store are also entirely different and must interface with other programs that the S&R locations use. Google only provides a way to update the phones over the air. Anything requiring the device being plugged in to a computer for the update requires a custom application to be written by the manufacturert. This is why the HTC Hero 2.1 update was an entirely different scenario compared to the Samsung Moment 2.1 update. Entirely different update programs made by two different manufacturers. Google doesn't provide an official over the wire installation application. The HTC Hero update required HTC Sync to be installed (otherwise errors usually occured), after that though you just clicked continue a bunch of times. The Samsung Moment update on the other hand required putting the device into download mode manually, then removing the battery after the drivers were installed, then turning it off and putting it back into download mode again, etc.. It was a much more difficult update in comparison as evidenced by posts on the forums after it was made available. Even though the instructions were on the screen step by step and just required you to follow them exactly, a lot of people had issues with it. Was it an issue with the updater application? Maybe. Was it an issue with people not following directions? Possibly. Was it a problem with the phone itself? Could be. The end result was the sae though, it was harder to do the update in comparison.

It's all well and good to say, "it should be on Sprint.com", but in actuality there is very little similarity between each of these upgrade scenarios. The only thing they have in common is that the software on the device after the update is new, otherwise everything in between is different. You also must take into account that while many users are considered "Power users" and can do many advanced things without issue, the vast majority of people don't want to be bothered with things like that. Updates should be as simple as possible, but that can't always be possible for an end-user OTW update. Also having an OTW update also means maintaining it. The update must be available online and kept there. If there are issues with it, then tech support needs to be told how to do at least basic troubleshooting for it.

Journeyman

Salters88 wrote:

If it truely has nothing to do with it why doesnt Sprint extend the return window till after the update is rolled out. So people could actually see if any of the many issues are fixed on the Samsung Epic 4G.

Sounds funny

They won't answer this question because the "delay" is obviously just a ploy to lock as many suckers into a contract as possible.  Feel free to prove me wrong, Sprint (I won't hold my breath).

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.