cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9/30 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release - DI18

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 9/30 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release

Meh, I can live without Froyo for now. Gingerbread is coming soon and I'd rather have that. I hope the sdx devs can work this stuff out.

Journeyman

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/20/android-3-0-due-to-start-hitting-tablets-in-december-ahead-of-ja/

Gingerbread(3.0) is coming soon, then soon after Honeycomb (4.0).

Samsung and Sprint have no interest in giving us updated latest software. They promised Froyo so we will see it. It will be strategically positioned right before some other big phone roll out, so as to keep the latest wave of new Epic users from switching phones (withing their 30 day window). But after that forget seeing anything new on this phone.

Time and time again Samsung has proven not interested in updating software, but in bringing new product out with minimal software effort.

Lets face it when speed issue came up and EVERYONE was talking about it it took Samsung/Spring no time to address the issue. 3 months later and no Froyo shows they are not in a hurry. The longer they can push it out, the fewer updates they will have to make for this phone, as I am sure there is only some limited time frame for this phone to get any updates.

This phone is what it is, prepare to be hitting your head against the wall when a new wave of better phones will be hitting Sprint, and we are still battling same all issues we where/are talking about now. Don't misunderstand the phone is definitely not bad, but it will not get much better.

By the way although there is definitely responsibility in Sprints court, they can probably push Samsung only so much, besides its in their interest that you get a new phone with new contract renewal anyways.

By the way XDA developers wont save you as most drivers will have to be written by the phone manufacturer to enable hardware to work properly, having new OS on your phone and not being able to use GPS or Phone dialer is not really an option.

Message was edited by: VR_4

Highlighted
Journeyman

As disappointing as it sounds, I don't expect to see a Froyo update until the end of November:

http://www.eurodroid.com/2010/10/samsung-galaxy-s-now-getting-froyo-update-in-early-november/

Highlighted
Journeyman

And another more or less duplication of the dates :

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/10/21/samsung-galaxy-s-froyo-update-gone-till-november/comment-page-1/#comment-1051650

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/samsung-comes-clean-with-galaxy-s-froyo-upgrade-dates-all-carri/#disqus_thread

Does anyone feel that they've been played like a fiddle by Samsung/Sprint.  By the time Samsung releases this in "end of November" it will be middle to end of December the update will come from Sprint. Will it have no bugs ??? Sure it will, those will be fixed 3 months later. By that time there will be plenty of Android 3.0 and Win 7. phones.

Companies need early adapters, and then they screw them without blinking. Thank you for your support now get lost, we got you for 2 years, will worry about it then.

Message was edited by: VR_4

Highlighted
Journeyman

So end of November. For a phone that when on Sprint doesn't hold a charge for more than 4 hours in 3G mode. For a phone that has a lot of issues with WiFi-4G or 3G-4G handoff problems. For a phone that runs a service called sprint updater that RESPAWNS all of that crap that kills the battery, like NASCAR, Sprint TV, and other things what have zero business running in the first place. For a phone that has a "DRM" service that kills battery. For a phone that you have to put into Airplane mode and take it out of Airplane mode to take care of problems with the cellular interface draining the battery looking for WCDMA base-stations.

End of November.

This isn't acceptable. By no means is it even close to acceptable. If there's one single Galaxy S phone that Samsung needs to focus on, it is the Epic 4G. But they're too busy screwing around with the gamble that is the Galaxy Tablet or giving users Nordic countries Froyo upgrades for their I900.

Samsung needs to release sources NOW, whether they are crappy or not. No listening to carriers and waiting until an update is pushed. They need to release the sources and when they get around to making it less sucky, release an even newer source. But they need to do this for ALL carriers NOW regardless of what the carriers' wishes are. The carriers aren't the people they should be worried by. The users are.

Message was edited by: mutiny32

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is October 21st and my Epic 4G is still listing DI07. Why haven't I received the update?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Amen to that. I promise I don't hate this phone, but I know for a fact the phone can be better than what it is. How is it I can get Froyo on my HTC Hero, but not on the Epic? Doesn't make sense. Please release the source codes so that others can pick up where you are leaving off, or so that others can create a better phone out of the source. No pun intended, but it would help your customers enjoy their phones a little more.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here's the latest story I can find on the Froyo update:

http://www.mobilemag.com/2010/10/21/official-every-samsung-galaxy-s-to-get-froyo-update-november/

Official: Every Samsung Galaxy S to get Froyo update November

The Samsung Galaxy S Captivate is only now showing up at Rogers Canada, despite the platform being available on all four major carriers in the United States for some time. It seems that an update is finally coming down the chute in a cool frosty flavor. Want to taste some Froyo?

Android 2.2 Froyo is being pushed out to “all carriers” in November and this is coming directly from the horse’s mouth. As it stands, Nordic countries already have 2.2 and the UK will be getting it in early November.

As far as the United States — which would probably include the Vibrant, Captivate, Epic 4G and Fascinate varieties — the Android update is likely being slated toward the end of the November, which is the time that they’re calling for “all operator versions” of the phone

Highlighted
Wizard

For some reason, certain devices didn't automatically download the update.  Go into the Android Market and download a free app and see if this triggers the download...it has worked for some.  If that doesn't trigger any updates, please visit a Service & Repair center for the update to be applied.  You can find the center nearest you here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks dshoem01. You are literally the only source of information on this issue for hundreds of thousands of Sprint customers, hope they give you a raise!

I have tried all the various troubleshooting suggestions to no avail. It's strange because my Epic was one of 4 bought from the same store at the same time for my family, and only mine has not updated to DI18. I just got back from a repair and service center where I was told I just have to wait for the next update to get pushed. I protested and they told me there is no way for them to update the phone. This is not true, correct?

I'm going to try a different store after work, but the next nearest store is much further away so my frustration continues to grow.

Are you able to comment on whether I should be entitled to a refund for the premium data charge for all the days I've had to put up with the DI07 data service?

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, have you tried downloading and installing it from here?:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=794138

They have all the official updates posted there so that folks can do them via USB rather than over the air.  It should work for you if you do it manually like this.  If it doesn't, I'd return the phone for another one if I were you.

Highlighted
Wizard

Make sure the store you go to is a Service & Repair center.   The updates are normally provided to them about 5 days after they're available OTA, so all S&R centers should have it by now.

If you're still having problems, please private message me with the address of the store and the name of the person you spoke with.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat