cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9/30 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release - DI18

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: 9/30 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release - DI18

The Service & Repair centers absolutely do have the ability to upgrade the devices...and they are not using XDA.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated...

CLARIFICATION:

The Service and Repair centers can update your phone from DI07 to DI18.  Your device must be on the prior release (DI07) to be updated.  If your device is on DG17 or DG27, the S&R centers cannot update your phone.  The next maintenance release will be provided as a download (in addition to OTA) so those who are on the older releases can get their devices updated to the most current software.  I do not have a date for this next maintenance release, but expect it to be available in November.    

A document for the Epic Maintenance Releases has been posted and will be updated once the next release becomes available.  At that time, I will also post a notification in the Epic sub-community with a link to the updated document.

Epic Maintenance Release document:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/docs/DOC-1441

Message was edited by: dshoem01

Highlighted
Journeyman

So they have a firmware pack with Odin Multiloader? And...if so, why can't this be downloaded from Sprint's site again?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I called the 3 nearest repair centers to me:

22316 Woodward Ave

Ferndale, MI 48220

(248) 584-2700

535 W. 14 Mile Rd

Madison Heights, MI 48071

(248) 577-3100

1438 W Maple Rd

Troy, MI 48084

(248) 288-9100

All of them checked, and told me they haven't received anything from Sprint to update the Epic. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Lol, I love when you post on here mutiny32. You're absolutely right, and I understand that Dshoe is an admin, but Dshoe, the fact is, the stores do not have the ability to do so. Every since you have stated that they do, and to forward you the address of the stores people are unable to get the upgrade done at, everyone has forwarded you every address they have gone too. The stores don't even show that there is an update in the system. I took my phone in to one store here in Tallahassee that was a service and repair center, and they had two Epics on display. At the time, I was DG27 (I think that's it), and one of the phones on display was at DG107, and the other was at DGi18.

So, long story short, I tell them I need my phone updated, they look in the system and tell me that there isn't an update for the phone. I then show them the build on the two phones they have on display, and they proceede to tell me that I will eventually get the update (mind you I'm at DG27, and there are people's phones who are at DGi18). How is a person supposed to take that seriously? What is an OTA update? Why? I am with Mutiny32. I can't fathom, for the life of me, why you all would opt for the OTA option when it comes to getting updates. Needless to say, I end up updating the phone, like everyone else, myself, but it gets frustrating when you're trying to call in to tech support, and going to every store in your area, and no one can help you.

I'm sorry, but Mutiny is right. These phones need Kies. We are the owners of the most expensive phone you all offer right now. Why can't we get treated like the customers who have the most invested in the phone?

Journeyman

What gets me is the fact the repair center said that there was no update for the device. This seems to be typical that some repair techs really have no clue. One store treated me well but the other tried to blame the "heaing the caller talk while the phones ringing" on the HTC EVO a CDMA bug. That was sooooo much .... Little did he know I was a Wireless Engineer.

BTW are the MEID's tracked for updates on the Samsung product like they are for some of the other manufacturers? I know some of the Manufacturers push the upgrades for the carriers once the carrier approves it. They put in a batch of MEID's each week that they have sold and they then are allowed to grab the update once the MEID has ben loaded. Wonder if Sprint/Samsung are handling it this way.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here is a very easy and simple way to update to DI07:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g/35214-manually-update-your-phone-di07.html

I know you're trying to get to DI18, but this is a step in the right direction and it's seriously easy to do.  My wife and I got our Epics on Saturday afternoon and hadn't received any updates by last night (I also tried to have the phones check for updates, but they kept telling me the phones were up to date and no new software could be found).  So I gave the above link a try and it worked perfectly.

SPRINT:  We shouldn't have to do this!  As previous posters have said, Kies NEVER should have been removed from the Samsung phones you carry!  It would have made updating my phones much easier, but instead I had to go searching through forums to figure out how to correctly update my phone manually with other software (I used Odin to get our phones to DI18, which also worked flawlessly).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dshoem01 can I ask you something? Who can we talk to to start getting things done? Who can we flood with calls and emails about the Kies issue, and the GPS, and call waiting issues? I just don't think you all are caring enough about the comments being made here on the forums.

Highlighted
Wizard

tdgreer1203,

This forum is primarily for peer-to-peer communications.  I do pull the areas with the most customer concerns and forward them to the product managers, operations teams, retail management, etc.  This forum does help raise the visibility, for example, the 3G upload issue was reported and escalated due to the posts here.  However, calling or emailing Customer Care or visiting a retail store seems to gain the most visibility...depending on the number of customers who do this, of course.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I already have DI07 but it says my phone is currently up to date when I try to update to DI18.  Any idea how to get that one?

Highlighted
Journeyman

You forgot having to put the phone into Airplane Mode and take it back out on startup just to keep it from draining the battery looking for a WCDMA signal. It is purely inexcusable to not be a top-priority to get an emergency fix for this issue amongst other major issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Im sorry im a bit behide on things how do i even find which update my phone is using ? Or which firmware its on atm ?

Highlighted
Journeyman

YoungGSnip,

This is the path to your software version:

Settings/About Phone/Baseband Version.

Listed under the Baseband Version is the software version on your phone.  Mine reads: S:D700.0.5S.DI18.

I think this is the latest version.  There are (too) many posts on different ways on how to get the latest update.  I was not getting the OTA (Over The Air) update, so one post recommended going to the Market ( I don't remember the specific instructions, sorry) and that I would be prompted to install the latest update.  This worked for me, but as you have probably read some people are having trouble getting the download.  I know there are several posts with links to sites where I think you can install the update.

Good luck

arewin

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat