cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9/30 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release - DI18

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 9/30 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release

It was definitely an S&R center with a full workshop in the back, I found it using the link you provided. I'll be in touch via PM if the next S&R location tells me the same thing. Thank you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 9/30 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release - DI18

Well, I spent 2 hours on the phone and chat with Sprint trying to figure out why my Epic (which I purchased yesterday) won't update to the latest baseband.  I gave all my security information, passwords, explain my problem, and they dumbfoundedly respond, "you need to speak to tech support".  Then they hang up on me.  Twice.  So I call back again and ask to speak to directly to tech support.  They walk me through the process of SETTINGS>ABOUT PHONE>SYSTEM UPDATES>UPDATEFIRWARE>UPDATE ANDROID, which I have already done 20 times.  Puzzled, they tell me I need to talk to ADVANCED tech support.  So I get transfered to, what sounds to me, a teenage girl in loud call center. She starts asking me security questions again, so I say, "there must be a mistake, I was supposed to be transfered to advanced tech support, I've already spoken to 3 different people...". She says, "this IS advanced tech support.".  Oh, great.  I explain to her the problem, again, and she starts reading off her computer screen the steps to update software on android again.  I interupt and say, I've already done that numerous times and it's not working.  She then puts me on hold and comes back and asks me how I know my phone is still on the original software?  I explain to her how it clearly shows on Sprints website the software updates/dates released.  She then asks me to WALK HER THROUGH where on sprints website this information can be found.  At this point, I only continue because I've already wasted an 2 hours on the phone, let's see what she says next.  She finds the page, puts me on hold again, and comes back with, "sir, pull the battery out of your phone and try again".  That's when I hung up.  Are you kidding me?  Advanced tech support: a giggling teenage girl who knows absolutely nothing about Android, other than what she reads on her monitor?  After reading this most of this thread, it's obvious that Sprint is aware of that there is a problem with the OTA update.  Why don't your TECH SUPPORT EXPERTS know about it?  Why do you have these instructions with how to update your software without a warning that says, BTW THIS MOST LIKELY WON'T WORK?  Instead, people like me, waste hours of their day calling call centers and going to repair centers only to be told there is nothing they can do to help.  If the updates don't work, DON'T POST THEM!  This is why people return phones.

Message was edited by: sandordetroit

Highlighted
Wizard

posted in error.

Message was edited by: Shane_M

Highlighted
Journeyman

You could have saved yourself the 2 hours of aggravation by just following the link I posted above, downloading the update from the site and installing it manually via USB.

You shouldn't HAVE to do it this way, I agree.  But rather than let your frustration level rise and waste your time on the phone with Sprint, save yourself some heartache and take care of the issue by a better means. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

So I'm supposed to goto xda developers to update my phone?

what about :

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Find_and_update_the_software_version_on_your_Samsung_Epic_4G/case-wh164052-20100823-181934

I tried that link you posted and it won't download anything.  Furthermore, I wouldn't know how to install it if it did.

They explain alot of ways to hack your phone on xda developers.  How to root, get free mobile hotspot, etc.  But I'm not interested in hacking my phone.  I just want it to work the way it's supposed to.  I returned the phone today to Best Buy, they gave me another one and it's still stuck on the DG27 firmware and won't update.  So I guess it must be a problem with google's servers.  I just wish Sprint would have told me that in the first place.

BTW, I called every Sprint repair center in the metro detroit area and none of them are able to update the phone manually.

Message was edited by: sandordetroit

Highlighted
Journeyman

The file in this thread over at XDA is the DI18 maintenance release. It is signed. Follow the instructions there are you will have the update.

Also, hey Sprint, how's that removal of the ability to connect to Kies working out for ya? Oh, you're catching hell over not being able to help people who didn't get the OTA update and the hacking community has to do your work for you? LOL. Nice one, boneheads

Highlighted
Journeyman

LOL, that is too funny. But at least we were able to update the phones. I wish Samsung would let the hacking community work with the code on their end.

I wonder if having to update the phones on our own would void our warranty if anything happened.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Those who want to do the DI18 manually should check this guy's video at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5L2MMmThdc

Highlighted
Journeyman

Very informative video, unfortunately for me, that only works for going from DI07 to DI18.  My phone is stuck on DG27, which is the initial release version, before DI07.  I tried, no go.  At least I know what to do if my phone ever decides to update to DI07....

Highlighted
Journeyman

It wasn't necessarily a specific update I was trying to convey from the use of the video, but the procedure itself for installing updates that you may feel inclined to install manually.

Highlighted
Wizard

Sandordetroit,

Can you private message me the address of one of the S&R centers you talked with and the name of the person who said they couldn't update your phone?  I will have someone follow up with them and then get back to you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint Techs, in fact, do NOT have the ability to update a customer's phone to DI18. Unless you want to consider using the method used on XDA,  which potentially voids a phone's warranty.

Again, I will stress the fact that Sprint is the ONLY carrier GLOBALLY that had Kies mode removed from their phones. This was plain idiotic to do and no amount of excuses can say otherwise. You people took the failsafe way to update a phone away from customers as well as their ability to do desktop syncing. I have to really question the qualification and/or integrity of the individual who made this decision for Sprint.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat