cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9/30 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release - DI18

Highlighted
Journeyman

Today's update hosed my phone

I live in Florida (Miami metro area) but I am sometimes in the DC area for work, as I am this week.  Today, I got notification of a system upddate on my phone mid morning.  The update restarted the phone and began installing, but is stuck at step "Updating modem...".  The progress bar is at about 90%.  I let it sit for about 45 minutes, then removed the battery (could not power off the phone), waited a few minutes, inserted the battery and powered on the phone.  On power-up, the phone immediately proceeds to installing the package after showing the Samsung splash screen (no Sprint splash screen).  The installation gets to the same point and hangs.

I called Sprint support and after spending several worthless minutes on the phone with tech support, they said I need to take the phone to a repair store.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 9/30 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release - DI18

Same thing happened to my epic. I got the download screen. It went to re boot and the i got a error. Now I can't get it re-install.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't know why when I click reply on the email accounts are being deleted from my phone thread I get redirected HERE- but here it goes.

Hey admins - I too have a problem with email accounts being randomly deleted.  Both a Hotmail account and a Exchange account.  Using Touchdown trial- it still worked- but the main app deleted both hotmail and her work exchange account.  This is the 8th time this has happened on my wife's Epic.  HOWEVER- my epic with Yahoo and a different exchange account (both exchange accounts use active sync) I've had no problems- just her. 

This is a REAL problem- along with a HOST of other broken issues on this phone.  2 other big issues still not resolved:

1. I just found out I can't get MMS unless I'm on 3G!  4G and wifi aren't supported???  What sense does THAT make? 

2. I can't sync yahoo mail either unless via 3g!  You're charging monthly $10 EXTRA for this phone- yet I need to turn off the mass data features so it can SLOWLY download media files and sync my pop email?  Unacceptable.

Plenty of other bugs I've found- please send me an email admins if you want my exhaustive list- that or hire me to project manage your bug list for what SHOULD be a killer device.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had the Epic for a week and I like it, but I would love it if I wasn't having so many issues.  Aside from the crappy battery life, it seems like there is ALWAYS a network error or no network connection when I am clearly in an open area and I have full bars.  Whether I am trying to refresh something on Facebook, there always seems to be a error message that an error has occurred while fetching data.  When I try to check my email, there is usually no network connection and/or the email application has to force quit.  It's almost with ever application, there is an error message.  This is starting to get really annoying.  And yes, I do have the latest update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ladyx83 ....I used to have to same problem with facebook...I downloaded the one from the market and the problem stopped.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I purchased the Epic on release day and had to exchange it for a new one 2 weeks later due to the fact that the phone would go in and out of signal all day, and would not connect to my pop3 acct to get my mail (they said this was due to the phone going in and out of service). The "new" phone that I have now had for just over 3 weeks goes in and out of service as well , however not as bad as the first. I was hoping the update would help this, however, I have never received update D107 or DI18. Tech support could not solve this issue. They sent me to a repair ctr and they say they have no way of getting updates on it either. They requested I get a new phone (again). The corporate store where I purchased it will not replace the phone as they say one return for defective merchandise is all they are allowed to do. They transferred me to Sprint customer service who will not replace the phone and said it is the stores responsibility to replace it, as it is within the 30 day window of receiving the 2nd phone. Corporate store says it is past 30 days (as they go by the original purchase date from defective phone number one, not pick up date of new phone number two)....I also tried the helpful work around someone suggested, to go to the market, and check for updates to apps I may have. Got the updates to the apps, but no phone upgrades

So here I sit with NO updates...no one is able to get them to me either. Sprint techs are unable to resolve the update issue and the inconsistant service issue and customer service and the store are arguning over who should replace it !

meanwhile...the second 30 day period is almost up and I don't have a phone that is 100%...

Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Journeyman

That blows.

I would think you need to physically show up at a Sprint Service center and swap the phone.

If they give you a hard time have them call Sprint customer service while you are there.

You could also bring a friend who has a Type A personality and get him a little drunk before going.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just love how this didn't fix the TWS problem. ಠ_ಠ

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 9/30 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release

Perhaps you are right, they could be playing us as suckers because we love the new products enough to buy as is and wait hopefully for what is to come. Remember when you bought your first automobile? It the same principle...once off the car lot, so called warranty starts. But with a small print catch to it. Samsung advertised this phone to the point that we were sold to it and now that we have bought invested in it, we are stuck with it as is because the motherfucker didn't come with Froyo 2.2 already and they are in fact bullshiting us as always. The same as politicians do. This is so fucked up...how the hell you gonna put out such a wonderful phone and not have the needed software/firmware already installed. Could it be due to a financial decision as to how to payoff such upgrade and to get the so-called 4g systems up and running? Why???

And then you go and release the coding or whatever you guys call it. Whats up with that? Do they really expect someone else to come up with some form of coding that they may steal in order to port the Froyo 2.2 system to the Epic 4g because they are stuck and can't figure it out for themselves?

Message was edited by: iceman19631

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's a great question. One of my fears is that we have so many people who are "non complainers," that it makes it ok for Samsung to act in this manner. The more people complain, the more they start to see results. But if a majority of us Epic owners just sit and do nothing, then samsung, as the technology and business always do, will continue moving forward. It's now about the next phone that's coming out. The Epic has been released, and while an update here, and an update there may be released, Samsung understands that it isn't a priority like it may have been at one time. I love this phone, and I would say that I'll never get another phone again, or I would talk about how I felt I shouldn't have gotten away from HTC (I had the Hero before), but this is an awesome phone, and if they make another one that's equally as good in the future, I probably would buy it. But the things we are having to deal with with Samsung are things that I never had to deal with with HTC. Even the modding was better.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I beg to differ on that point.  IF people actually used their windows and people were unhappy with the device and actually RETURNED their devices would do MORE than buying the device, and then complain about what it doesn't do or what bugs it has. Money talks more than complaining will ever do.

Complaining does NOT make bug fixes come quicker.  If they are working on it then they are working on it.  Bug fixes will not always happen overnight, and won't always fix the problems without time and testing, and since they have to cut corners to try to quiet complaints doesn't bold well.  I have yet to see 2.2 come out clean and working 100% on devices past the Nexus One(which it was developed on).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, granted that, but as I stated in my first post, I love this phone. If we all start taking it back it would send a louder message, but then we would be without the phone. What do you want me to use? The Evo? Yuck. No, instead, I'm going to act like a consumer, and I'm going to purchase a nice phone, and expect upgrades to that phone to be getting the proper attention. I know they aren't going to just come out the next day, but how long has this phone been out? Are you serious? And even if it would take a little longer, the company could at least let consumers know what is going on, where they are at, and what their plans are clearly, and not have everyone guessing. I bought this phone. I chose to do business with Samsung, and I/we should expect samsung to treat us a certain way, being that we are doing business with them.

So, what are you suggesting? Just sit with the phone and say nothing? Just wait, and whenever they come out with it, they come out with it? That's incredibly passive in my book, and I just wasn't taught to be that way. On top of that, I'm not necessarily sure that I care about the Android 2.2 update, but the call waiting is terrible, so I would rather have that fixed.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat