cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.2 Froyo for the Epic...when?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Android 2.2 Froyo for the Epic...when?

What's the hold up? You all promised September then mid to late October, then early to mid November, so here we are at the end of November...Android 2.3 is getting close to release... now what?

I love android, but the Epic has some usability issues that will be resolved by an update, so combine that with missed expectations, and it is leading me to be a bit unsatisfied with product support, especially for a device that cost more than the EVO, who...oh... already has 2.2.

So where is our promised/needed update?

Tags (2)
26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.2 Froyo for the Epic...when?

I agree entirely. Please provide an update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

agree, too.

... after having a cruddy Palm Pre, with an "app store"  in 'beta' for months and months, as well as going through 6 of them b/c they all had build issues... the sleak, new, great, fancy, $10 surcharge Epic... is ... uh... umm...  better than the alternative, but COME ON GUYS !!!!  THIS SUCKS.  upgrade already...

or better yet, maybe we'll just root'em, upgrade 'em ourselves, and then tether without a $30/month charge.

take THAT.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey Sprint,

I gotta agree here, the delay is not acceptable, especially since Samsung had the release ready weeks ago. I really don't care if "Nascar" or some of your other bloatware doesn't work and really, who does? Most folks who are plunking down the top dollar for your most expensive device want speed, and up-to-date units, not stupid bloatware that you think we want. If I could delete Nascar, Sprint Football, Sprint Navigation, and Sprint TV tomorrow I would and would be a happier client for it: I have NEVER used any of those applications, and frankly never will - they are, to me, one step above viruses on my device; the only saving grace being that they don't cause any real harm (except, apparently here, if this is the reason for the delay in rolling out 2.2)

When it came time for me to make the choice between Epic or EVO the rep convinced me that making the move to the Epic was the better choice, and most pundits have ranked the Epic the #1 mobile device, so I took the plunge and bought your most expensive smart phone. But your stalling on the roll-out of Android 2.2 is exactly the kind of poor cutomer service perception that I thought Sprint was trying to overcome, and a lack of a hard release date is infuriating.

I want Flash, I want Skype, I want 2.2 and I want it now. There is no real reason outside of your crapware why you can't do this now. Get smart; expensive smart phone users are a demanding group... save the Nascar junk for the cheap phone users but give us the goods we want and thought we were going to get. If you want to be a first class player treat your customers first class.

I signed your service contract (where your real profits come from) but if you want me to remain a client you gotta deliver. There are other choices out there you know...

Highlighted
Journeyman

COMPLETELY Agree!  I mean, the Galaxy Tab has Froyo!  Where is my Froyo!?  Oh WAIT!  I have Froyo!  Too bad I had to Root my phone to get it.  ..AND, got rid of the Sprint crap that goes on there.  I use Google for Maps, and never used the other Sprint apps.  I don't even have TouchWiz... I use Launcher Pro.  I have my phone running at a normal 1.2GHz, and kick it up to 1.6GHz when I play some graphic intensive games (not very often anymore though).  If you give me my official Froyo... I'll go back to your stock image... Till then, I'll stay rooted.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The thing is, my service with Sprint is much improved over AT&T, and I bought the Epic due to availability issues with the EVO.  I know that Samsung released Froyo for the Epic on 10/18. As a sotware QA engineer I can understand testing, but Sprint doesn't stack a whole lot of apps on the phone so testing shouln't take more than a week or two at the outside to test.  So I'm having a bit of a problem understanding why this is taking so long.

I can say this will most likely become a contributing factor when I consider purchasing a new phone when I am due to upgrade.  Now I'm thinking maybe I should've waited for the EVO to come in.  I may end up rooting my phone when gingerbread is released, if Sprint doesn't release 2.2 before then.

Highlighted
Master

I keep reading people quote Oct 18th as the day Samsung gave Froyo to Sprint for the Epic. I think just about everyone is misquoting this date and taking it out of context. They could be doing it on purpose to stir the pot, but I'd rather believe it is out of ignorance. A version of the build that may be signed could have been leaked that was built on that day. That build may have been ready for release and some issue was discovered. It could be an issue that the average user would not see but that causes havok on the network side of things, the fix for that could then potentially cause a lot of other issues that need to be fixed. It could be a problem that causes no issues except a regular troubleshooting tool doesn't work that is needed by technical support, so that needs to be fixed. We just don't know for certain.

A build of Froyo may have been released on Oct 18th, but it may not be the absolute final build that will be released. Many builds of the operating system are made throughout testing as issues are discovered and fixed. Some cause regresions that break other fixes so build A may have a problem that B fixes but that build C brings back.

For those who haven't figured it out themselves, the Samsung version numbering scheme has the exact date it was built in the version number. So the Epic's current official DI18 update would correspond to it being built on September 18th, 2010. The D corresponds to 2010, I corresponds to September, 18 is the day. The update itself was officially released and available on the 30th, that is 12 days later. Not terribly difficult to discover if you look, I read about it on XDA or somewhere similar a couple years ago shortly after they started using this naming/numbering scheme.

DI18 - Built 9/18/10 - Released 9/30/10

DI07 - Built 9/7/10 - Released 9/16/10

DG27 - Built 7/27/10 - Released 8/31/10 - This is the day the device was released

DG17 - Built 7/17/10 - Original build shipped from the factory

The longest time period after the device was released that it took a build to be released after being built and signed is 12 days for the current version.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For those who might want to explore other options if they are tired of Sprint/Samsung and their release of Froyo for the Epic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBDFZEQLCQs

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am sorry Sprint Employee, what you are saying does nothing to give us any idea when we will get the upgrade. Yes, you have sucessfully spent 3 paragraphs debunking the October 18th myth. Now, how about you tell us when we will be getting the upgrade? No one cares about build to release time or whatever. I bought my phones, yes 2, last week as I was told by Sprint that it was coming out on the 22nd. Still no go here. I am a new customer and within my 30 days, and very close to returning these. Every other major carrier has their 2.2 released.

Message was edited by: bsod77

Highlighted
Master

bsod77 wrote:

I am sorry Sprint Employee, what you are saying does nothing to give us any idea when we will get the upgrade. Yes, you have sucessfully spent 3 paragraphs debunking the October 18th myth. Now, how about you tell us when we will be getting the upgrade? No one cares about build to release time or whatever. I bought my phones, yes 2, last week as I was told by Sprint that it was coming out on the 22nd. Still no go here. I am a new customer and within my 30 days, and very close to returning these. Every other major carrier has their 2.2 released.

Message was edited by: bsod77

All I was trying to do was explain the October 18th date and how it isn't correct, I wasn't trying to do anything else. No date has been announced by Sprint or Samsung for the Epic 4G Froyo update and you aren't going to get any official information about it until a date is finalized. At that point there will be an official blog post in the community here with hundreds of comments just like every other Android software update announcement.

Whoever told you the 22nd was the release date was probably quoting a rumored date that they shouldn't have, that is why the official information from Sprint is it is coming but no date has been announced.

No U.S. carrier has a Galaxy S phone with Android 2.2 officially released. The Captivate, Vibrant and Fascinate all are still on Android 2.1 as well just like the Epic 4G. Take that as you want but if you want a Galaxy S device with 2.2 on it you'll have to go to the U.K. at the moment.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually that's not quite true either.

http://twitter.com/Samsungtweets?from_source=onebox

10/18 is the date of the beta release. Unofficial from Samsung.  We do the same exact thing at my company.  "Get it out to a select few and let them test it for us and get their feedback." All I want as a consumer is a little respect and giving me some idea rather than keeping me in the dark.  I know a lot is getting fixed with 2.2 and I'm a bit anxious, since HTC seems to be a bit more responsive.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Now my sorry self would try and install this and probably havethe thing spontaneously blow up.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat