Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.2 - continuation from locked threads

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.2 - continuation from locked threads

KBBOYKIN wrote:

I am one of the few people who has clearly stated why I need the upgrade or a reasonable work around for 2.1 and no, I never said I would leave Sprint.

I use my phone for my medical practice and as a result need to be able to install large medical apps to the SD card which is not available in 2.1.  There are some apps that require 2.2 to even be installed.  I despise being forced to only sort my contacts ny first name only. To me its not professional.  I really could care less about flash 10.1, but some sites I use in the absence of a pc requires it and it requires 2.2.  It would really be nice to not to have to pull over to answer a page on the way home or to the hospital.  I guess I didn't research enough before I bought the phone, but got caught up in the frillls of the phone.  It is a very nice phone and is completely usable, but I really need to be able to do the things above for my every day business needs.

Not to sound like an @$$.  I am not defending Sprint or Samsung here, but if it was that important since day one I wouldn't have bought the Epic if you described your problem.  I would have made sure from day one the device would have 2.2 and apps to SD. I am glad you take somewhat responsibility that you made a bad choice for the device based on your personal needs.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sold my Epic about a month ago and bought a white Evo, although the screen looks a little better in the Epic I have to say I don't regret it at all. I love my Evo and enjoying 2.2 and what it has to offer, the new update in Dec even brought the Blockbuster app which will smack Samsung's Media Hub!!! also the GPS works perfect compared to the Epic's...

Highlighted
Journeyman

To answer the question about other reasons we want it;

I believe that additional reasons many of us want the 2.2 update is;

• Better Exchange support
  • Video records in MP4 format
  • New Search widget
  • New Gmail application
  • Adobe Flash Player 10.1 compatibility
  • New Android Market with auto-updating
  • Speed improvements
  • Pinch-to-zoom homescreen flyover
  • Improved default keyboard
  • dramatic fixes for the GPS issues and performance

With regard to the previous discussion on voice command over bluetooth, there is some

confusion if this requires new bluetooth headsets with new version A2DP protocol?

Neal

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let me make this quite clear.  When I say research, I mean, update history of Samsung.  I, like others, fell for the "that's okay it will be upgraded soon to 2.2"  I came from HTC Touch Pro 2 and really wanted to stick with HTC, but at the time there were no choices for slide out keyboard, which is what I needed.  The power and sparkle of the Epic made me overlook researching the customer service of Samsung.  Not saying anyone company is great at it, all companies suffer somewhat with customer service.  I feel like a heel because I recommended the phone to colleagues over the Evo based on it not being long before the OS would be upgraded.

Sure, I am geek enough to root my phone, but it is for a business, and that old warranty thing is a hold up. BTW, I was running Android on HTC TP2 from xda developers and had been upgrading all the way to the latest Froyo build, so I know Froyo.  So when I got my next business phone I switched to Android altogether thinking that eventually I would have 2.2 on it.  I bought the phone in November when all the flurry about the release being eminent, so again, I trusted the rumor mill,  not again.

Message was edited by: KBBOYKIN

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I'm sure they do cover their butts quite well now Crogs, but when I signed up and for months thereafter, three different Sprint employees and the billing representatives ALL told me the same thing - the fee was only for 4G phones. Period. I confirmed it by pretending to sign up for a new plan and no 4G phones had the charge when I got to the final check out. Now the policy is changing after they're being sured? Well that doesn't make me feel any better. Sorry. Like most users, I don't spend my life reading Sprint's fine print and mistakenly trusted what their representatives told me and then checked it out personally. That should be enough. By the way, that's two phones for two years or a total of $480 for service I was told I'd have in a month and never will. I'm far from the only one who's complained about it, so I think it's safe to say it was system wide except for the telecom geeks who live this stuff.

Highlighted
Journeyman

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2376045,00.asp

T-Mobile just suddenly announced the drop without warning.  It's likely Sprint plans to do the same thing and that it will be soon if T-Mobile has finally gotten it out.

Patron

It is funny to see all this why why why.. Let me see if I can make it simple.. Sprint get phone from Samsung... Sprint then loads up their own applications like Navigation, Sprint football, sprint personal web browser and also makes small codes changes so that their apps work with the phone and can be updated going forward. Samsung comes out with an updated OS they made code changes and guess what.. Sprint now has to go back and update all their stuff and test it out so that when they do release the new OS it doesn't crash their apps and programs. This takes time.. Now what can Sprint do to make this go faster.. get a customer pilot plan and work with this group on each install, let them play with it and give feedback and issues to the tech. I think Sprint holds all this in house and that takes time.

now the XDA Dev or what ever they are called uses the general public to test out their stuff and that is why they get things out and working faster.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would like to add one more to that list;

It's what we were promised and what we paid for!!

It's nice that you can run a leaked version. I'm doing it myself but I'm still ticked. The bottom line is that companies need to be held responsible when they fail to deliver.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Great point thanks!  Samsung/Sprint PROMISED a 2.2 release ASAP and have yet to deliver.  Some folks here have the mind set of prove and justify that you need 2.2.  My guess is that they are Sprint employees being told to try and spin this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Curthu wrote:

Great point thanks!  Samsung/Sprint PROMISED a 2.2 release ASAP and have yet to deliver.  Some folks here have the mind set of prove and justify that you need 2.2.  My guess is that they are Sprint employees being told to try and spin this.

Seriously.  I don't need to justify why I want a software update to a bunch of random nerds.  I want it because I want it.  That's reason enough.  Don't worry about why I want it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Curthu wrote:

Seriously.  I don't need to justify why I want a software update to a bunch of random nerds.  I want it because I want it.  That's reason enough.  Don't worry about why I want it."  <----------- Deflection, makes me assume you have no idea why you want it other than you dont have it and you're a typical american wanting what you dont have

really?  I never saw a promise 2.2 was going to be released, ASAP means it hasn't been possible yet.  I agree its well overdue, however, if its worth throwing such a little kid fit over, do something about it.  I mean go through the first 4 pages and its like a parent arguing with a bunch of children.  I am willing to bet that if 2.2 was released as it is in the lab right now, you'd all start crying because it was causing force closes and/or some other reason you dont like it.  You wont be happy when it comes out because you'll want it to do something else.  If you have kids you know what I'm talking about, you give the kid what they want and the happiness is gone in 5 minutes and they're crying for something different.  Not everything you get in life is for the best, let samsung/sprint/whoever finish getting the freaking update ready so it doesn't brick your phone like the 2.2 update bricked so many intercepts at first and enjoy what you have!

For those who actually have a valid reason for wanting 2.2 like the gentleman that is in medical and some stuff only works on 2.2 or the guy in cali that has to have bluetooth because thats the law.  I'm sorry that you were misinformed, truth is, no sprint employee, anywhere, has ever known when 2.2 would be released.  You were probably told what that particular employee had been told.  When I got my epic, I was told "it SHOULD be released soon, but noone really knew when it was coming out."

I have never heard from any employee that it would be out this week or this day or anything.  Maybe you should go yell at the employee that sold it to you and see if the store can do anything (probably not).  Please just stop crying about it.  The admins even have told you everything they know from press announcements.  I'm pretty sure Sprint isn't trying to "screw" any of you.  For one, there isn't money in updates so it doesn't matter to them whether you have them or not!  Oh and it isn't in your contract!  Nowhere in my contract does it say Sprint promises to keep your phone up to date....

Any questions?

Oh and to "TONYTHESHOES1" I may be a nerd, but I have 2.2

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have 2.2 as well, champ.  I just don't need to justify anything to your geek ass.

Message was edited by: TONYTHESHOES1

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat