cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.2 - continuation from locked threads

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.2 - continuation from locked threads

The industry first is going to be the first company to go bankrupt due to the release of a single phone with better support on a superior network (aka iPhone4 on Verizon).  The worst part about it is Sprint actually gives some of its phones love (the EVO) but then kicks dirt in the face of the suckers who bought the Epic under false pretenses.  Don't try to say Sprint didn't.  Several people can confirm Sprint sales people informed them the phone would recieve 2.2, Sprint and Samsung both stated months ago that Froyo was coming soon, we have documented proof of Samsung advertising the Epic with 2.2 on their website, GPS is broken on 2.1 and several people have been told "A fix is coming with froyo".

There also seems to be quite a few uninformed people that seem to think Froyo isn't a big deal.  In the scheme of life, death, survival, etc you are correct.  However for those of us who purchased the most expensive smart phone on Sprint, wanting something that had cutting edge hardware and software it is a huge issue.  Obviously Samsung should shoulder some of this blame as the Galaxy S on every carrier seems to be getting this treatment.  Guess what though, a few hundred angry Americans upset with a substandard product complaining to a Korean company will yield no results.  It lies strictly on Sprint's shoulders to force Samsung into action as they are the ones who have stakes in the millions with Samsung.  I hope everyone learns their lesson though.  If you are interested in not only a good product, but good support never ever buy Samsung, and never expect Sprint to ensure you that you will recieve the support you deserve when purchasing a $600 item.  Also don't let the carriers start with the "you aren't guranteed OS upgrades" because if that is the case it is going against everything Android is about.  You guys don't have the iphone(unless you are getting a 4g iphone).  But everyone who buys an iPhone knows that they are guranteed support for the next couple of years.  The iPhone3g which was released over 2 years ago is currently running the newest iOs version.  There are a few instances in which hardware issues make it completely impossible to upgrade an operating system but that isnt the case on the Epic.  The epic shares the same SOC as the Nexus S which currently runs Android 2.3, essentialy its the same phone plus or minus a few things.  So our lack of upgrade isn't due to hardware incompatibilities, it is due to the greed of a increasingly irrelevant cell phone carrier, and a money hungry OEM, neither of which enjoy close the financial success, brand recognition, or consumer appreciation that Apple does.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Bump...

dshoem01,

You have 48 hours to drop 2.2 or the kitten gets it.

In all seriousness though, if Sprint/Samsung can't get their act together with 2.2, you can at least drop a maintenance release for 2.1 that fixes major fuctions that are broken.  After all we paid for these functions and we're on a contract.  Let me be clear here that I am NOT asking for anything new, I'm asking for functions already in 2.1 be fixed so they actually work correctly.

Sprint is to provide me service for the device I purchased and I'll pay you monthly for 2 years.  The way I see it now, Sprint is in breach of their end of the contract until these issues are fixed.  An MR for 2.1 or a 2.2 release that fixes these are fine with me.

GPS/Compass does not work.

Correct bluetooth audio routing when wired headphone jack is in use.

Correct bluetooth voice search/dialing.

Hardware keyboard does not work properly (typed characters are constantly lost).

Time Without Signal (worked around with airplane mode toggle)/DRM causes sleep problems leading to battery life issues.

Text messages go to wrong contact on occassion.

kitten_hostage.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

you just hit the spot, if at least this apps and hardware were fix by a patch that would make the wait for 2.2 easier. now that you mention contract breach i will go to the  store to get an evo. i will tell them that i purchase the phone and use the gps which does not work. i am paying for the any time any mobile that includes unlimited of everything plus gps. what it is good for if some of the features i pay every month cant be used.  in addition to having an outdated expensive unstable phone. buy i am crazy to get a cdma iphone and hook it up to sprint if it could not be done well bye bye sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think when my contract is up, I am going to be done with Sprint and Samsung.  This is ridiculous that you can't get any straight answers from the company, or an official release date thats not going to be changed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm seeing predictions that Verizon's own Android customers plan to bolt for the iPhone. If enough of Sprint's customers do the same -- and count me as one -- perhaps Sprint will change their behavior. There is a business school case study here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If there's going to be a class action lawsuit, put my name on the list.  Let's hear it - Class Action, Class Action, Class Action!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here is a theory I have about what's going on with the update.

I think the update is deliberately being held back because Epic phone is going to T-mobile, but I guess it's going to be called the Vibrant 4G. The phone is everything that the Epic is -- a Galaxy S, 4G, and the phone even looks exactly like the Epic. That phone is going to have 2.2 on it. Then there is the Galaxy S2 being announced at the MWC, and that will have 2.3 on it. I haven't seen any information about the Galaxy S2 coming to the U.S., so I don't know what the reasoning is for holding back the udpate because of a Galaxy S 4G going to T-Mobile.

I can understand if there were bugs in the 2.2 update that had to be worked out, but surely it doesn't take this long to find a fix for those bugs. I don't think Sprint/Samsung would publically state that they are holding back the update, so they just use a "cover story" of how they are still working on it and how they don't have any information as to when it will be available. When I've gone into a Sprint retail store and have talked to an associate about certain phone issues, I almost always seem to get a representative that also has an Epic phone. They say, well this particular feature doesn't work on my phone, like the text messages going to the wrong person, or being delayed. They say though like it isn't really a problem.

It's interesting how every Android site was picking up the story that Samung was holding back the update for the Vibrant in order to sell the newer Vibrant, but then Samsung responded saying that wasn't true. Shortly after, the update "magically" becomes available. I haven't seen any reports of problems. I did see reports of problems with the maintenance update that the Fascinate received (being unable to make an emergency call), but hopefully that doesn't affect the timeline for when the Epic gets the 2.2 update.

Obviously, the 2.2 update HAS to be working if Samsung is set to release a Galaxy S phone with 2.2 on it and a Galaxy S2 with 2.3. So, any thoughts on this theory? What's the percentage chance that Epic receives the update before the end of the month?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I hope you are wrong.  Sprint has scr3wed the pooch from the start.  I really don't belive that Sprint would just turn their back on the Epic and never support it.  I do have some worry in that their messages to people now are *IF* and update becomes available not *WHEN*  I know that people from Sprint read this and other forums and know darn well how people feel and know that they are loosing current and possible future customers I' at a loss as to why there has been no communication from them.  Waiting to see what they have going on Monday.

I do have one point to feel good about.  A friend of mine called and said that she was wanting to get a new phone, she ask my advice as she knows nothing about computers, phones etc...  My advice  stay as far away from Sprint and Samsung as you can.  She will pass that advice on to family and friends.

I read where the new Galaxy S2 will price in around $800.00  just think how those folks are going to feel after Sprint gets their money and then stiffs them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm inclined to agree that they could have easily worked out the bugs in DK28 by now and released the update.  I also agree and think that there are several other phones similar to enough to the Epic receiving 2.2 and 2.3 - and some of the development put into those phones could very well be leveraged to fix any bugs we had in DI18 and DK28.  But what do they think really gain by holding it back?  They've got to be smart enough to realize they're going to alienate more people than they "woo" over with their new offerings (Or maybe they really are as dumb as bricks?).  Between this and the Moment (which they outright declared end of life in less than a year) I will not buy another product from Samsung again.  It could be a 3ghz quad core phone that transforms into a jet powered car that runs on pure hate, I'll still be taking the old shoeleather express while chatting on my Vz iPhone.

It's really a shame, this device is one powerful handful of dynamite.  Too bad it's so bug ridden.  I'm at the point where I'd take the slower and older technology in the iPhone just because it's much more stable than anything Samsung will ever dream of releasing.

I just had a curious thought triggered by someones class action comments - In the case of the Moment I signed a 2 year deal on a phone that was faulty and never fixed, but more importantly declared end of life well before even HALF of the contract could have been up for a launch day adopter.  The Epic is looking like it's pretty well forgotten at this point as well.  If they never fix the problems with this phone and declare it end of life less than 2 years from launch day that would set and follow a precedent on how Samsung/Sprint choose to support their end of the contract.  At best its some of the worst customer service on the face of the planet - but is that even legal?  Any lawyers in the crowd?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I hope I am wrong about this theory as well, but what else is there to go on at this point.

In the case of Sprint saying IF and WHEN the Epic receives the update, it will be posted on our downloads page, I think is just Sprint reading their script. I think there are some Sprint representatives who think 2.2 is a DEVICE which might make sense with the IF and WHEN statement.

I think from a perspective of Sprint going to manufacturers and looking for a phone to bring to the Sprint phone lineup, it will be interesting to see how long the Samsung line of phones will last.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Curthu wrote:

I really don't belive that Sprint would just turn their back on the Epic and never support it.'

Why not? They turned their back on the Samsung Moment and the infamous "airplane Mode" issue!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Getting ready to buy a new phone.  No way am I going to get an EPIC until this gets sorted out.  I can wait to see what comes out.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat