Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.2 - continuation from locked threads

Highlighted
Master

Re: Android 2.2 - continuation from locked threads

offtohavasu wrote:

[snipped]

There are a lot of differences in each model of Galaxy S device Samsung makes. From the outside it may seem they are very much alike (1GHz Hummingbird CPU/Super AMOLED screen/etc.) but there are significant differences beneath the exterior that require specific coding. For example, only two models have an LED flash; that requires specific coding, not a lot, but enough that it needs to be tested. Then there are differences between having 16GB of built-in storage on some models, and others like the Epic instead having 1GB of ROM with a 16GB microSD card included. The Epic 4G is the only version with WiMax 4G. It is also the only version with a physical keyboard, this requires coding the homescreen to support a landscape view that otherwise the other versions don't need. The chipset inside is different, related to the WiMax addition in comparison to other versions. The chipset coding for the Sprint version will be different from the AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile versions. Each of these require specific coding for each device because of different network technologies (CDMA/WiMax/GSM) or frequencies (800/850/900/1700/1800/1900Mhz/2.5GHz) being used for each version. This only covers hardware differences between them. Add to this the TouchWiz overlay that Samsung uses on the Galaxy S devices instead of using the regular Android homescreen, and that's a whole other can of worms that gets opened.

The Sprint applications aren't the issue, as evidenced by the updated versions working already in the leaked software, they are the same apps other Android 2.2 phones running on the 4G WiMax network use. Nothing these apps do needs specific coding for chipsets other than GPS, which is integrated and standardized.

T-Mobile is still the only U.S. carrier to have released Android 2.2 on a Galaxy S device. This just occurred a couple weeks ago. There have been rumors of Verizon releasing theirs (which came and went with no release), and I haven't heard anything about AT&T. The Sprint one was extremely close, as evidenced by the leaked images from the internal documentation, and it obviously was pulled for some show stopping reason right before release. These are the reason why no company likes to give a release date without knowing with 100% certainty that it will come out on or before that day.

To the end user none of this matters, the update still isn't available, However, knowing how the back end stuff is done may help those who know nothing about the software update process understand why it isn't a simple process. You may not care about it, but some people will. The update will be released when it is done and stable enough without tearing the network down or bricking the phone during update due to some stupid bug that was missed due to insufficient testing. I installed the leaked version on my Epic, and I have issues with it. My WiFi worked flawlessly before the update and now I get errors all of the time when trying to turn it on. Will everyone see this? No many people don't use the WiFi, but for those who do, they would be furious if the final production version had that issue present on the majority of the phones. I ended up going back to the official 2.1 software and an just waiting for the update.

From a consumer point of view (knowing how the software update process works, doing sotware alpha/beta/delta testing and hardware testing for over 10 years for dozens of companies), I'm happy that when a serious bug is found that the launch is delayed to fix it, even though it may mean a significant delay for the update. In the end a less buggy product is usually worth the delay required to get it to that point bot hto the customer and to the copmany in regards to technical and hardware warranty support. Would I like the ability to install apps to my SD card? Yes. Bluetooth voice dial? Yes, although I blame Google for being complete idiots on this in the first place for every Android software up until that point. Increased speed? It already is fast enough for me, but faster is always better of course.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hal,

While I concede to your points of the different hardware issues, the other point would be isn't the ground work already there?  2.1 is already built, they have the codes for those things.  It's not as if they're going from Windows to a Mac os.  I get the testing, I get the little nuances from device to device, but come on.  These (Spint/Samsung) are MAJOR corporations.  You can't tell me that there's only one graduate from a community college for each company sitting in a janitor's closet working on this.  Albeit, that would probably yield quicker results.

I'm all for everything coming out right the first time.  But to string consumers along by saying here's the date, oh wait, here its, just kidding, we don't know yet, is not cutting it.  People are PEEVED.  Customers.  People who tell their friends, "Hey this phone is the greatest thing since sliced bread."  Sliced bread may be the next-next Android update...Ok, bad humor.  I have stuck up to quite a few people regarding Sprint.  Up until I upgraded this phone, I've been a major proponent of Sprint with people I know.  This issue, however, I don't speak up as much about.  Leaving us consumers in the dark is poor business practice.  Remember, the customer is always right.

Highlighted
Journeyman

HALCYONCMDR117   

You're obviously very intelligent and that was a well written post.  I do understand that a SDLC needs to be followed for these complex devices and I do understand that the Epic is by far the most different of the Galaxy S line.  Below are a few things I do NOT understand and I hope you could oblige myself and the rest of the community.

1.  When developers are working on point releases and major releases a change log is typically kept through the different test builds.  By simply publishing an overview of the change log as preliminary release notes it would keep people engaged and provide a warm and fuzzy feeling for them.  Generalized line items from a change log would clearly not have any NDA issues.  Why cant The SS provide some insight on how progress is going?

2.  An actual change log aside, statements such as "we're working on it" and "soon" come across as patronizing.  Also, you've given us many items that are NOT the issue.  Why can't we be given a high level overview of what the issue(s) actually are then.  Until people know what is going on, all we can do is speculate the worst.

3.  The overhyped Echo - Apparrently Sprint has a large amount of time and resources to dedicate to this a new product.  If a fraction of those resources were dedicated to resolving the bugs on the Epic we might just have a patch sooner.  It also comes as a slap in the face to the Epic users who see this as another Sprint "Moment" (pun intended).  We're simply being left behind for the next big thing.  I'm suprised EOL has not been announced for the Epic yet.  We've basically gotten nothing out of The SS since DI18

Testing and the SDLC as a whole aside, If the proper resources from The SS were dedicated to fixing the Epic since launch, these problems would have been fixed by now.  It doesn't take this long to get an MR for 2.1 or 2.2 running on these devices with a proper amount of resources applied.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Okay so each phone has some differences but then how in the world did devs that dont work for sprint or samsung get 2.2.1 to work on the phone....and yet you guys can't.  Dont make me laugh stop reading from your scripts and wake up you are about to go bankrupted due to your lack of customer support and your devs aparent lack of skills.  release timely updates and you wouldn't be in a position where you could possible lose your jobs.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Rumor puts official Froyo update for the Sprint Epic 4G on Feb. 21 http://bit.ly/dNf2v3

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'll believe that when I see it.

I'm going to express a little bit of frustration here, and I won't use bad language.

This is a pattern I've seen with Sprint smartphones. I bought a Mogul when hit the streets. The promised updates took over six months. That was six months until EVDO-A and GPS were available. My next phone was a TP2. WinMo 6.5 was released shortly after I bought the phone. It took six months to get the official version on the TP2.

My husband got an EVO. Froyo was ready for it in two months. So I thought that maybe if I went Android updates would come faster. I bought the Epic in September. Froyo was promised "soon."

So maybe you can all just blame me and my bad luck. Seems that any phone I get, the updates take forever to come.

Sigh. Other than this recurring issue, I've generally had excellent customer service from Sprint. I get a signal where I need it (I couldn't with my previous carrier), and their prices are competitive.

I'm tech savvy and understand that bugs happen. But this seems like a long time for an update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ive been following these developments and as an Epic owner would also like to know when the update is. (included the spirited commentary on Sprint's fb page)

However, I have been listening to whats going on with other Galaxy S owners on other carriers and it seems to me to be more related to Samsung.

There are actually Galaxy S device owners on other carriers with the same issue thats seen here.

Having owned an EVO it seems apparent that its manufacturer HTC is on top of the updates moreso than Samsung in this instance. It looks to me advanced hardware was released before the software to utilize its full potential was stable, so we as customers/owners are caught in the software development process.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This may just be a coincidence, but if the rumor at android central is to be believed and the update for the Epic comes out on Feb. 21 then:

The update will have come out AFTER T-Mobile gets their Galaxy S 4G (Vibrant 4G?)

The update will have come out AFTER the Galaxy S2 is announced at MWC

Claims of continued and "rigorous" testing and coding, but it's just interesting that T-Mobile is the first carrier to bring 2.2 to a Galaxy S phone. It now looks like AT&T is going to be second with the Captivate. Now, is it going to be Verizon or Sprint after that?

Highlighted
Wizard

@c_brookhart, yeah, agree, that seems fishy (again).  remember a few weeks back where a rumor was going around that samsung was holding up 2.2 for the US Galaxy S devices so that they can announce newer devices?  quite a coincidence, huh?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've installed the leaked version of froyo (DK28) on my epic and I can definitely say that i don't believe sprint is the problem with the delay of the official release. all of the sprint apps work just fine with this build. however, upon installation, the gps had totally crapped out, which required a complete factory restart (a method i found on androidcentral forums). now it works great. the other issues i noticed, were that some of samsungs widgets will randomly disappear from home screens, and  there is significant lag of homescreens loading between portrait and landscape views when sliding the physical keyboard in or out. other than those issues, 2.2 works great. increase in battery life, flash 10, sd storage of apps..all that good stuff. but i do believe samsung screwed this one up, based on the above issues i've come across. .let's hope they get it right soon. and when they do, i'll be installing the official version. but at least i have a bit of froyo goodness to make the wait pain free.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have trouble seeing the reasoning behind that.  I'd image they would want to have all the dirt washed from the windows before they put the next display up (figuratively speaking).  I'm not saying I'm right, just that it doesn't make sense to me (or I'm missing some of the facts).  I could believe they would leave an old device on a previous OS to put a newer, more expensive model on the shelf as an up-sell; but, just for announcing a new device doesn't make sense to me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

joelleoj wrote:

I've installed the leaked version of froyo (DK28) on my epic and I can definitely say that i don't believe sprint is the problem with the delay of the official release. all of the sprint apps work just fine with this build. however, upon installation, the gps had totally crapped out, which required a complete factory restart (a method i found on androidcentral forums). now it works great. the other issues i noticed, were that some of samsungs widgets will randomly disappear from home screens, and  there is significant lag of homescreens loading between portrait and landscape views when sliding the physical keyboard in or out. other than those issues, 2.2 works great. increase in battery life, flash 10, sd storage of apps..all that good stuff. but i do believe samsung screwed this one up, based on the above issues i've come across. .let's hope they get it right soon. and when they do, i'll be installing the official version. but at least i have a bit of froyo goodness to make the wait pain free.

For the lag when rotating try installing a terminal emulator and then from the $ prompt type su and hit enter.  You should get a # prompt.  At the # type sensorcalibutil_yamaha and follow the on screen directions.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat