cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.2 - continuation from locked threads

Journeyman

Re: Android 2.2 - continuation from locked threads

Thanks JasNwa for the support on pointing people to XDA-Developers.com.  It has all you need for support unlike sprint/samsung, xda know what they are doing and if you have question or want to get into making your own custom rom they will help guide you.  I am by far not wanting to take presure off Sprint/Samsung to get thier stuff together and support the customer base but with the lack of support from them go to where they will invite you in and help you with open arms! 

Journeyman

The problem with the Google phones (Nexus One and Nexus S) is that Google support is via email only....no thanks. That's why the first phone failed so miserably.

A contract is a contract. If you opt to pay the ETF, Sprint will gladly take your money and you can go with whoever you choose to. You won't break your contract without paying the fee though so good luck with your debate.

Journeyman

i got tired of waiting for Sprint and did the uograde to DK28, root and custom rom on my own.  i love it.  This phone works so much better than it did before.  i do suggest like others have though, read alot about it on XDA website and watch plenty of YouTube videos before doing it.  Remember one thing though, i dont care what people try to tell you, but it DOES void your warranty.  Have fun with your phone and do what makes you happy.  Have a great day.

Samsung Epic 4g

2.2 Froyo

ViperRom ~frozen edition~

Highlighted
Journeyman

Brushing them under the carpet, deleting/locking them isn't going to make us go away.

I am now operating with a very simple plan.

I no longer care about 2.2, 2.3...or beyond for the Epic Failure.

@ my 1 year point I will be replacing all Samsung devices with another manufacturer.  One whom actually acts like they want their customers.  No more Samdung products for this family.

I like Sprint so far, my connectivity is significantly better than AT&T. Samsung OTHO...

Journeyman

@babelfish: JasNwa is right, you give up too easy. And just like him I'm surprised that with your experience in programming you had such a hard time. Maybe there's one other thing. People are excited and in a hurry to accomplish the process they don't read the instructions carefully. When reading instructions, I would suggest to go over them again. It is possible that you missed a step the first time.

Journeyman

I think not after putting over 15 hours into it yesterday alone and that's after reading up on this stuff for weeks ahead of time. I lived on XDA and Androidcentral for over a week ahead of time and took lots of notes. Maybe it's because my phone came with a non-standard rom on it in the first place. I had to take it to the Sprint Store within the first 30 days to have it upgraded to DI18 (so that I'd be prepared to get the automatic update to 2.2!! lol) and the geek there told me I had a beta version on the phone that even he had a hard time changing. Who knows what else is non-standard about this beast. At least it's back to working on 2.1.1 now after putting a few more hours into it, and I have most of my apps and info back. It's no longer rooted however, but when I do the three button boot, it gives me a blue screen *manual update* mode that makes me scared. Otherwise, GPS works, but still no flash or bluetooth commands as one would expect with 2.1. Maybe I'll try another rom instead of Bonzai that doesn't require Clockwork higher than 2.5.1.0 or EXT. That's where I ran into problems. It kept reverting back to RSF whenever I ran OneClickRootCWM which is the opposite of what's supposed to happen.

I know I'm way off topic for this thread, but I wanted readers to know that not everything goes as developers plan it. Many of these phones are not the same and even experienced users can get into trouble no matter how much they try. This is why the official update is so necessary, and probably impossible.

Journeyman

@babelfish. Check out VIPERrom [FRoZeN] EXT4-RFS Dual DK28 4.0.3 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=864445 and the YouTube for it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBDFZEQLCQs&playnext=1&list=PL1D45338BA9DCA2BB.

The developers at Team Viper provide a wiki and support for their ROMs http://teamviper.devphone.org/

Everything works with this version, it looks good, and they provide a means of putting all of the stock Samsung apps back on the phone if you like through their own app, ViperStore.

The only reason I rooted my phone and went with another ROM (using the above ROM) is my battery would die in a matter of hours (approx 6) without using any apps. Both Cell Standy, and Phone Idle would drain my battery. After several calls and trips to Sprint, I took it upon myself to fix. My battery now lasts for at least a day with normal use. I use ClockWorkMod to backup my entire phone on a scheduled basis and easy to get back to a certain restore point if I choose to experiment with other ROMs.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7172/screenshotesf.png

Journeyman

ViperRom Frozen is what Im using and I love it.  I dont get as much battery time with it as i did with Bonsai 2.0 and Midnight Rom, but i still love it.  It works great with ClockWorkMods version 2.5 and 3.0.  Midnight works extremely fast and smooth, but Im not sure if it works with CWM 2.5.  I would like to give Bonsai 2.0 another try.  The last time I tried it i had trouble with laptop finding my phone in Mass Storage Mode.

Journeyman

Uhm, I've been rooting/jailbreaking/hacking phones since the PPC-6700, and while I'm enjoying blazing fast and stable performance on my Epic with Froyo 2.2.1 and the Midnight ROM, I would NOT recommend the rooting and flashing process to any layman, even with the great tutorials out there.

Journeyman

WESWUNDER, isn't it a little selfish? You're enjoying the blazing speed and performance, yet others have to deal with what they got.

Journeyman

@robbiedoo200

Oh no please don't misunderstand, I wish the general Epic user could see how much better this is without having to go through what I want through.  But it's time consuming to do it right, aggravating, and I would imagine waaay confusing to someone who doesn't dedicate a ton of mental real estate to phone hacking.

Bottom line, this update was promised by Sprint Reps, Store Reps, advertisments, literature, everywhere, and then as soon as they realize they can't deliver on that promise, they clam up like a 6 year old who just broke mommy's favorite vase.  It's despicable.  How hard is it to issue a press release saying:  "We almost had the ROM built, but then such-and-such came up, and we are still looking for a fix.  We commend the efforts of XDA Developers and PPC Geeks, who have been instrumental in working along side us to get this working flawlessly, here is an easy OTA upgrade to what we have come up with so far, please note that customer service will not support it, as it is not meant for regular use.  If you need to revert back to the authorized version, here is another simple OTA"

BTW, the above press release is hereby copyrighted, if Sprint would like to pay me to use it and save a few thousand customers, I can be reached at the email on file.

Journeyman

WESWUNDER,

What steps are involved in getting the leaked version off of the phone when the official release is out? I know how to take the root off and I know there is a way to go back to stack 2.1, but I wasnt sure exactly how.    I thought maybe you would know.  And I read that you are using the Midnight Rom.  That Rom is amazing in speed.  I checked out a few others, running Viper now, but I still think that the Midnight is alot smoother.  Thanks in advance for any info.

Samsung Epic 4g

ViperRom - Frozen

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat