cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.2 - continuation from locked threads

Journeyman

Re: Android 2.2 - continuation from locked threads

BLACKDRAGON, I rooted the phone and switched over to stock 2.2.1 a week ago, but I was forced to return to stock 2.1 when I was unable to flash the ROM of my choice. Yes it ran fine, but the process was not clearly laid out enough for a guy like myself who doesn't live in the phone hacker's world and I ran into issues that I couldn't clear up even with expert help after 22 hours of working on it. I found the documentation for the upgrade to be fragmented and anything but clearly written and straightforward. The good news is that since doing this I must have cleared out some bloatware because it's finally running faster and cleaner than it has since I got it. I still don't have flash or bluetooth support however, but I learned a lot. I'll try again after the 21st when we don't get the official version.

Journeyman

Assuming the Epic doesn't get Froyo or beyond, I'm exercising Option 4:

Wait for iPhone 5 on Verizon this summer. Sell Epic on Craigslist, buy iPhone 5 and switch to Verizon. Yes, it may cost a few bucks more, but it will be worth it.

This is business, not religion. I need bluetooth voice dialing, plain and simple. Expected it on the Epic. At these prices, it's reasonable to expect support. If not, oh well, live and learn. I'm in IT and certified up the wazoo, so I could root and mod. But this is a phone, not a project. Why can't I have a simple, supported update? If Apple can do it, so can others. BTW, I'm (still) Premier, so I'm not exactly a fair weather friend of Sprint.

One thing's for sure: lesson learned with Samsung. Others who are attracted to all the slick new models will learn their lesson the hard way, same as we did.

Journeyman

Yes JasNwa, I went with option 3. R&R'd my phone and love it very much. No other phone come close to what this beauty can do with it's blazing speed and sharper images. As for others members, I don't know. 

Journeyman

LOL...If you know a company that doesn't take people's money and run let us know. I wanna make sure that company is not in the list of my stocks.

Journeyman

Robbie, we as the epic onwers are very mad at sprint and samsung with froyo issue here. Only you going around and trying to calm us down, why helping sprint? They are leaving us behind without supporting the update. Well keep your stock hold tight, there will be no money there once everyone is leaving Sprint. Goodluck buddy, lol

Journeyman

I am saddened by the fact that I dont have Android 2.3 let alone 2.2.  I had a Hero and I remember the mess I went through when it came to updates.  I wanted to upgrade by phone so bad I went an got an Epic, which I must say is an awesome phone as is.  I am one who loves to get the latest and greatest and I really thought this phone would be nothing like the HTC Hero when it came to updates.  I guess not.  The only reason I stayed with Sprint was hope that the iPhone will come and come in 4G.  I love the price for service and 4G is excellent in my area.  I guess this will be the last phone I get from Sprint.  It is very sad as Sprint was getting to the top, but the run around we get for updates is crap.  Trust me, I would wait to make sure I get a soild update but we waited and waited for the Hero update and when it came out it lacked a lot and was crap.  I uninstalled and went back to 1.6 and then updated later when update 1 came for eclair.  Sprint, you were almost coming to, Samsung, you almost made a perfect phone.

Journeyman

Just a warning guys,

I replied to twmonroe calling him on his BS statements and such and my posts were completely wiped from the system without so much as a reason. Nothing I said was any different from the stuff he is spouting except of course he's in defense of Sprint and I'm calling them on their BS treatment of their so called customers.

If I worked for a company that didn't require me to go with their phone provider ( they pay for it so whatever ) then you can be sure that as of now it would NEVER be sprint moving forward.

Good luck guys, but to be honest with you not only is sprint not listening they are purposely deleting posts here. If someone can find my posts I would love to see them, in fact because I posted I am getting notifications of the replies. However my posts are just vanished.

Good job moderators, your do your company a justice by being just as ignorant and scheming as the sales people and support people.

FYI, there are some people who try to do a good job at sprint, but they are woefully outnumbered. It seems like every day more and more companies get this way.

Later

TimT

Journeyman

Who wants to be first to be stuck at Android 2.3?

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s-2-exynos-super-amoled-plus,news-10120.html

It seems us anrgy owners are starting to spread out on the web, I couldn't help but notice some in the "comments" section who sound just like us...

Journeyman

TT,

I also have had post removed which were a reply to twmonroe. I did not swear or attack him my guess is that he works for sprint an/or is a moderator of this board there is no other reason.

Normally I would not reply to a message as dumb as yours but this needs to be said.  What the #ell are you tinking?  Unlike you I will not allow Sprint to not honor their commitment to provide support and updated to this phone.  I', sorry that you can not see nor do  you understand the difference in software upgrades t oa PC and to a smart phone.  Let me guess, you work for Sprint!

Was that post really worth removing?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Read and learn how to root your phone so you can make your own update or change your rom. For the technically inept or those who seem to have legimate hardware failure to do so...it sux 2 b u. I'd probably think of ways I could utilize the warranty or insurance...you did get the insurance on a $450.00 phone didn't you?

There are ways around everything. You just need to think it through.  This experience reinforces an old saying, "caveat emptor".

It does nothing but upset me to see new phones with practically identical hardware specs to our Epics being turned out as new models with 2.2 and now 2.3.

The Epic is a great piece of hardware, but support is MIA.

No more Samsung trash for me.

To Sprint..this is one of those times you better be listening to your customers. Deleting posts, locking threads, attempting to hide the truth, usually backfires on those attempts and sticking your head in the sand isn't going to make us go away. Actually quite the opposite, it adds fuel to a growing firestorm.  The backlash IS in progress. It just takes time to convince the masses about crappy support and services.

BTW where's my 4G that I pay an extra $10.00 (x4) a month for?

A question for the forum users. Doesn't it seem odd that only the US carriers are affected by the lack of upgrades across Samsung phones?  I think that says a lot.

Journeyman

Curthu,

Not sure I understand your post. Are you saying that "my" post was stupid? Because right now the only post I can see of mine is one that doesnt' seem to fit your response?

Can you clarify why you seem to be attacking me? Or was that a "copy" of the post that they removed of yours.

If that was your post, I agree it should not have been removed. But to be honest, if twmonroe's posts can be left on here then mine shouldn't have been removed either.

Thanks

TimT

Journeyman

Can anyone tell me if these complaints are showing up on other Sprint threads or have they all been moved to this one? I've also had posts removed for no good reason, btw.

In my opinion, Sprint has written off those of us who care about these issues. We're considered expendable and troublemaker geeks because we want more. I saw the same thing happen with Eastman Kodak decades ago when they decided that their professioinal customers were just a pain in their you know what, so they concentrated all of their marketing and R&D efforts on pleasing the masses which was over 95 percent of the market. Then along came Fuji who knew the value of professional endorsements. By the time Kodak lost their lock on National Geographic photographers, their magic was gone and they lost market share everywhere.

They were once the world's most reconizable brand and today they're close to closing and I blame a lot of it on their neglect of the customers who made them great, the top five percent who wanted them to be their best. Sneaker manufacturers get it. You get the masses by kissing up to the pros and in this case, the geeks are the pros.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat