cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.2 - continuation from locked threads

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.2 - continuation from locked threads

Samsung has nothing to do with this. The fact is that in order to make sales, Sprint improperly marketed these as 2.2 phones and they weren't, still aren't and now according to Sprint, they may never be.

To belabor the computer analogy, it's as if Dell sold a fancy computer model, the top of their line, representing that it would run Mac Snow Leopard but temporarilly shipped it with Windows XP with the promise that the new OS was on the way. Then later on it was discovered that the hardware was incompatible with the update and Dell changed the story saying they never said that it would run anything but what it shipped with. I wouldn't have a problem with either Apple or Microsoft but the Dell sales organization that misrepresented the product. It's bait and switch, plain and simple, and we should have a right to a full refund or exchange.

Highlighted
Journeyman

this from pcmag.com . I surely hope samsung doesnt just quit on us with epic4g. They wont even give usa the s2. lol

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380223,00.asp#

the htc thunderbolt out this month verizon has 2.2 out of box and they have 4g here in phoenix,, doubt sprint will ever get 4g here.

Have read all comments, one rings true, what good is a smartphone if you cant use all its power.. 99 percent of my apps that i run that have anything to do with bandwidth is done on wifi at work or home.. try video conf. listen to pandora, or watch anything on 3g,, NOT happening here is phoenix. but my extra 10 bucks is for all my added bandwidth i use. really? been with sprint for 12 years,, bought wife and i both epics our first smartphones,, what a dissapointment.. no 2.2 or even 2.3 no 4g network. contract up time to check out verizon.. truly sad.. ill pay the extra monthly dues,, at least i will get what i pay for.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You raise an interesting point TONYRL and one that has been mentioned before. While moving to another carrier may indeed result in a higher payment, at least it wouldn't be a broken promise. Many of us feel that we've been duped by Sprint's bait and switch flim flam. They marketed something at a lower price that they never delivered, so we rightly feel abused by that.

It's like a store that sells you a three piece suit for less than his competition, and then you discover that it doesn't come with the vest becuase the vests were lost in shipment. You complain after months of waiting, but the store says you could still wear it as a two piece suit.

"Yes, but I paid for the three pieces", you say.

"Shut up", says the haberdasher, "You got it at a cheaper price. I don't care if you don't like wearing it the way I sold it to you as two piece suit".

"Yes, but you sold me the three piece suit I came here to buy. I don't care if it's cheap, I want the whole suit as it was designed to be."

"Hey bud, I'm not responsible for shipping delays, now get out of here. I'll let you know if another shipment ever arrives, but the factory may not make them again because they're all out of that fabric and they're making new styles now".

"But..."

"I said get out of here"

That's no way to treat customers. Not only is it bad business, it's probably illegal.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Galaxy S2 is going to AT&T.

It seems that while T-Mobile and Verizon always get a bunch of new phones, Sprint appears to always be behind in getting good phones. The HTC Thunderbolt looks like a good phone, but it's only going to Verizon. I don't know how the Echo phone is going to work out on Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It appears as though some of my posts have been removed.  I did not use bad words or attack anyone I just replied to a person who was defending Sprint.  I suggested that him comparing this upgrade to upgrading your PC with Microsoft software made this our ( Epic owners ) problem.

Real funny some one who is WAY off base and defending Sprint is allowed to post, some one who suggest that that person may be wrong has their post removed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

badankles my thought EXACTLY.

To associate Sprint being the same as an ISP is comparing apples to oranges.  I do not buy a Dell through Comcast, Time Warner, ATT, whomever is your ISP. You buy a computer from one place and you get your Internet through someone else.

Sprint is different.  They are a service provider AND product sales.  Since they are SELLING a product, they need to take some responsibility.

I own a Chevy.  Chevy in this example can be Samsung (although I'd never deliberately insult the bowtie like that).  I purchased my truck from a Chevy dealership (this can be Sprint).  I have had to have a couple of updates to the software on my truck (transmission and glow plugs).  Chevy delivered the update, the dealer did the update.  So if I don't get the update, it's either Chevy OR the dealer.  However, if there's an issue, who am I going to see to get the problem fixed?  The dealer.

Message was edited by: offtohavasu

Highlighted
Journeyman

babelfish i hate to say it but 2.2.1 does run on the epic if you go to XDA-developers you will see they have 2.2.1 running just fine, and i also posted a link a little while back showing a pretty dang good reason why we dont have 2.2.1 or even 2.3 its because they were/are working on the S2 which runs 2.3. so Samsung/Sprint have everything to do with this Samsung for not supporting the customer base and Sprint for doing a no no, and not pushing Samsung into getting the updates but then again its also sprints fault its so "customized" to what Sprint wanted for the phone, but in the world of buiseness it happens.  so in the end Sprints at fault for not controling its sales people and Samsung is at fault for not supporting the custmers they have.  In the end learn from it and dont buy a phone off of "promises" unless you get it in writing, and as for Samsung never buy one of thier products again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well said. Sprint is ultimately responsible here, especially given the crapware they load onto the handset that I can't remove unless I root, which Sprint doesn't support. The *only* way this ecosystem is going to work is if we get our updates directly from Google. Once Android passes through the handset manufacturer (Samsung) and carrier (Sprint), both of which apply mods, we're hosed. The lovefest going on in Barcelona is fun and exciting, but any new shiny toy you buy today will look just as tarnished as the Epic in a few months time if you can't get an OS update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No-one knows who's to blame here. We only stand outside and assume in. If neither Sprint nor Samsung are saying anything, it means everything else is only a rumor.

Message was edited by: robbiedoo2001

Highlighted
Journeyman

My friend, do you work for Sprint or own their stock? Samsung is not upgrading froyo epic by feb.21 then I will move to Tmobile. I did spoke to my friends at work and they are very upset about the froyo is lack behind. 20 friends of mine are willing to do the early termination fees and go to another carrier for other phone beside Samsung product. To really think about it, Samsung just only best screen for galaxy s lines on phone. Htc is the only company that concentrate on cell phone only. Boycott Samsung product because all they want is money and run.

Highlighted
Patron

BlackDragon, you are exactly right about not trusting a company to live up to its promises. Sadly this is a lesson that many of us, certainly including myself, had to learn the hard way. When I bought the Epic, GalaxySSupport at twitter was promising multiple times a day the update would be out by the end of the year. While I wouldn't trust any Sales Rep, I wrongly thought that their words were like words coming from Samsung directly and were like an official statement. I can guarantee you that this is a lesson I will never forget!

Highlighted
Journeyman

At this point you have 3 options.

1. Live with the Epic with 2.1. It's still a great phone and 2.2 doesn't add anything mind-blowing to it anyway.

2. Sell the Epic on Craigslist and purchase a phone from a different maker. The EVO Shift is also a great phone with Froyo installed.

3. Spend a couple hours and read up on how to root and install a custom ROM onto you Epic and quit waiting for the release (it's really not that hard). I spent about an hour reading about the the one I wanted, then installed it with no trouble.

The message has been delivered already to Sprint and Samsung about the dissapointment for the lack of the Froyo upgrade, over and over again. Nothing new has been added and this forum has turned into a gripe session.

Be proactive!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat