Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.2 update for the Samsung Epic

Highlighted
Journeyman

Android 2.2 update for the Samsung Epic

Super Simple:

1. Download the required update.zip , click the link.
  2. Rename the file to “update.zip”
  3. Plug your phone in usb and chose mass storage.
  4. Copy the file you downloaded to your pc. Place it in top level folder of the phone, not in a subdirectory.
  5. Turn your Epic 4G off
  6. While the phone is off, hold down the “Volume Down” button, “Camera” button, and “Power” button and hold them
  7. Now you will boot into Recovery Mode
  8. Select use update and let the phone upgrade itself.

Worked for me and the instructions are use at your own risk. I have been waiting for this update for ever, and the directions are never clear to follow. Hopefully i compiled a good set.

Happy Upgrading!

Message was edited by: RHOLTON68

Message was edited by: RHOLTON68

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.2 update for the Samsung Epic

Does your GPS still work?

Wizard

This is is not the offiicial release...use at your own risk.  When the upgrade is available, I will  post a new thread as well as update the Samsung Maintenance Release blog.  If you subscribe to the blog you will receive a notification when the upgrade is available.

Message was edited by: dshoem01

Journeyman

I guarantee this is indeed the official release, it just isn't OTA from Sprint yet.  Not appropriate to reveal how I know, but just see if DK28 isn't the build released over OTA over the next 2 weeks.

Journeyman

Any chance the epic user community will ever get any sort of upgrade beyond 2.1?  2.2 has been out for a while now, 2.3 was just released on similar hardware mind you, via the Nexus S on T-Mobile.  Had I known that updates were going to be so few and far between, I would have either opted for the EVO or waited and went with another provider.

Journeyman

I grew increasingly irritated at Samsung and Sprint for not getting my phone updated until I decided to update my phone myself with the leaked Froyo DK28 update.  First, I did my homework by reading the forums, utilizing youtube, and downloading usb drivers, odin, .pit and .tar files, clockwork mod and one click root, and backing up my sd card on my computer.  Second, I installed the clockwork mod and rebooted and my phone was unable to get past the Samsung screen.  This is what I want users to be aware.   Youtubers are often not taking you from step 1 to 10, but rather are assuming you have already done a few of the common steps, such as copying over roms, rooting the phone, dowloading the stock eclair, etc.  I flashed back to Eclair using Odin using a file I downloaded, and this time copied the Quantum and Frankenstein ROMs  to my sd card.  Everything worked.  I then flashed to DK28 froyo, added the clockwork mod and one click root, and added the Quantum ROM compatible with DK28.  Everything was great except my GPS didn't work.  I tried the Frankenstein ROM and still the GPS could not find satellites.  I flashed back to Eclair and repeated the process and now everything works amazingly well.  I found another procedure online for restoring the GPS but did not try it since my GPS worked the second time around.  I am now running Froyo with Quantom rom v2.7.0DK28-EXT4.

Here are the take home messages:  1.  If you update yourself, things will go wrong.   2.  Many things are likely fixable, but bad things can happen.  3.  The learning process and updating ate up 15 hours of my time.  If you are a newbie, but are smart and are willing to learn you should be able to figure it out, eventually.  4.  Now that I have Froyo and the Quantum ROM, MY PHONE IS AWESOME!!!  I am so happy with my phone, I set a picture of Lucy Liu as my wallpaper, and cuddle with it.  Okay not really, but I do really like my phone (and Lucy Liu was, is, and always will be cute).

Above all update at YOUR OWN RISK!  and Lucy, give me your number and I will call you sometime.

Journeyman

Loading new ROMs does take some trial and error before you get it right and a lot of the time have bugs of their own. I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone. If you are computer savvy or don't want to deal with new bugs and manual updating, don't do it. There can be advantages too but it is up to the individual to decide. Just remember that Sprint can't help with any software changes and you do it at your own risk.

With that Sprint and Samsung should do their jobs and do what is right for the customers. Its not that hard to add extra man hours or deadlines to those who are working on it. Both companys are losing respect becaue they don't seem to care about the customers.

Journeyman

One quick perk i received from adding the dk28 update that i do not understand is my sprint family locator can detect my phone with an accurracy of 30 yards.  with 2.1 my accuracy was as high as a 1000 yards.

Wizard

I'm consolidating all threads on this topic.

Please use the following thread to continue any discussions regarding the Android 2.2 upgrade:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/58881?tstart=0

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat