cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Release Study

Highlighted
Journeyman

Android Release Study

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20126547-93/android-owners-getting-stiffed-on-os-updates-study-clai...

An Interesting study of Android updates

• 7 of the 18 Android phones tracked never ran a current version of the operating system.
  • 12 of 18 only ran a current version of the OS for a matter of weeks or less.
  • 10 of 18 were at least two major versions behind within their two-year contract.
  • 11 of 18 stopped getting any support updates less than a year after release.
  • 13 of 18 stopped getting support updates before sales were halted or shortly thereafter.
  • 15 of the 18 don't run Gingerbread, which shipped in December 2010.
  • With the debut of Ice Cream Sandwich, every device tracked will be another major version behind.
  • At least 16 of 18 will almost certainly never get Ice Cream Sandwich.

Not looking good for the Epic

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Wizard

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10/27/infographic-android-fragmentation-visualized-if-you-like-bia...

FWIW, this is Android Police's response to that study/article.  I saw it on Twitter where they said, "Android Fragmentation Visualized... If You Like Biased Information, That Is".  It does make some good points -- the other manufacturers have more phones to support and don't control both the hardware and software like Apple does, the chart apparently leaves out at least some flagship devices to focus more on lower-end devices, and not all lower-end devices can or should be upgraded to the newest OS. I noticed that there are very few Samsung phones in the study, so it's not giving us much insight into our manufacturer's track record.  But if the Epic, which  was supposed to be a flagship device (right?), is representative of Samsung's overall OS upgrade record, it stinks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Interesting article and graph I had not seen. Thanks!

Looking at it I would put the Epic inline with the Garmin phone.

After owning a $250 flagship device since its release over one year ago, the Epic certainly never has never been inline with a current (Green) release.

HTC seems to be doing a better job at this compared to other Android handset manufacturers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is a big reason why I hopped off of the Android platform. 😞 Yes, any platform can run in to fragmentation problems but I think Google has got to get something figured out for itself. They mentioned a coalition of device manufacturers a year ago if I'm not mistaken that 'promised' updates in a timely manor to their devices, but I don't think anyone has seen the benefit of that coalition. Now that Google is releasing ICS, those devices that will start getting Gingerbread will already be 'out of sync' with updates. The Android update cycle has reached a point where it's pretty much 'impossible' to keep up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

All along I have felt the operating system was a c r ap shute - the updates that have caused so much havoc when they finally came out and the updates that are still not out.What makes it worse is sprint and the manufacturer can't really measure network performance since there are so many variables.There are so many Hero , Moment, Transform and Optimus users out there with major issues. An advanced user can muddle through and find a little performance to appease themselves but first time smart phone users are left in a daze and can only wonder whet might have been.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat