cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another customer with issues after Gingerbread... why won't Sprint correct?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had a Samsung Epic since February and loved it until the Gingerbread update. As with many other customers, I've had call volume issues, the physical keyboard bringing up shortcuts instead of typing letters, continuous GPS issues (despite many attempts to fix,) random restarts, boot and shut down problems, inability to make or answer calls (in part due to the screen freezing when while a call was coming in,) etc. After two phone calls and two chat support sessions, Sprint's "solution" is to do a factory reset at the store. However, even after the factory reset, I still struggle with GPS and other random little issues - usually forcing me to reboot the phone. (Four times already today!)

Sprint, at no point, offered me anything to make up for what has now been a several week ordeal to get my previously fully functional phone back to working order. I had to ask specifically for a credit at which point I was offered a measly $5 on my $79.99month bill (before taxes.)

They also don't seem to care that upon doing a basic Internet search for "Samsung Epic Gingerbread issues" there are endless listings of dissatisfied customers as well as many customer developed solutions to several of the fixes. Some of these fixes worked and others would probably be effective if further testing was done providing customers with options other than taking time to visit a store for a full reset and then spending hours reinstalling apps.

Until this update, I was very pleased with my phone and had a satisfactory experience with Sprint. Now, however, I will be terminating my contract as soon as I can buy a non-contract phone with a different provider.

Sprint could have kept me as a satisfied customer if just a real effort had been made to correct issues faced by myself and many other customers. Sprint may not have developed the Android OS or it's updates, but they are responsible for pushing it out to customers.

I guess that not a significant enough percentage of customers complained for Sprint to warrant any kind of action to show that we're valued.

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

I too have had Sprint tell me to do a factory reset on my phone. I got a ticket setup to not only address the issue of the GPS signal droping but to also get resolved the "data connection lost" issue I experienced with Google Maps/GPS when the phone was on FroYo. The efforts I went through to get this setup proved to be pointless. Dropped the phone off at a repair center and specifically requested the phone not be reset. I go back to pick it up and the techs basically tell me there isn't anything that can be done without resetting the phone.

I contacted Samsung via e-mail about this issue and their response was to turn the phone off and pull the battery out. When I contacted Samsung's Twitter support team, I at least got a reply that seemed promising -- they were going to forward the issue to the tech team and report back. I asked Sprint's twitter support if there was a software update being developed to address GPS problems and got no reply.

I have been in contact with a representative from the CEOs office and a representative from the ticket support team and have mentioned to both representatives that there is a lot of discussion on the forums (both this one and other Android forums) regarding GPS issues. I too wonder why Sprint and Samsung are not seeing these posts and and officially recognizing this as an issue. I've seen discussions indicating that a software update might be coming soon. When I first started having this problem, I got the "third party application" line from support.

I guess until this issue gets fixed, I am going to have to print directions from Google Maps before I go somewhere.

Sprint can't correct the problems, Samsung is the one that fixes the software....and unfortunately it takes time. Samsung creates new build, Sprint tests new build, if problems are found it goes back to Samsung where they create another build and send it back to Sprint. Process repeats until Sprint thinks they have a good enough version for release. All the bugs will never be caught...or it would take years between updates. I would be very surprised if they weren't aware of issues with the current release. There have already been 3 new builds since the Gingerbread update. There were about 30 builds between Froyo and the release of Gingerbread.

Just because some tech support person you talk to in a store or on the phone says they aren't aware of any issues, doesn't mean that the people who matter aren't aren't aware of them.

The GPS problem won't be resolved until Samsung fixes it. There is nothing a Sprint repair center can do for it.

Journeyman

Add me to the list.  I have had a factory reset done 4 times now and now I can't connect to the internet, can't send pics, no email of course.  It's extremely annoying.

Why is it that I have to adhere to my contract with Sprint yet they don't have to provide the things I signed up for?  They should never have rolled Gingerbread out until they were sure that it worked.  This is ridiculous.

I don't think not being able to connect to the internet has anything to do with the update. If it did there would be a ton of people complaining about it, so far you are the first I've seen. From the settings try updating your data profile if you haven't already done so.

Journeyman

It started a day after I updated.  When I called Sprint (about a week later - because I was trying everything to avoid calling), she said it probably WAS due to the update.  We tried updating the data profile.  It kicks me out.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Journeyman

Re: Another customer with issues after Gingerbread... why won't Sprint correct?

My biggest gripe is that all the Sprint techs I've spoken with (four of them - two one the phone, two via chat) have in fact acknowledged the bugs and make little to no effort to correct them. Each interaction ended with the tech telling me to "take it to a Sprint store for a factory reset." This "solution," as several have pointed out around these forums, is certainly not a fix-all and apparently does not roll the OS back to Froyo (so I'm not sure what problems the reset actually will fix since the OS is the problem and that doesn't change. The last tech I spoke to told me that my phone "can never be rolled back to Froyo.")

And while Gingerbread is not developed by Sprint, as mentioned originally, they are the ones that tested and rolled it out. If you buy a faulty product from a retailer, you typically take it back to that store as opposed to contacting the original manufacturer and you get a refund. If my Internet service experiences issues, my cable company gives me a credit for the time in which I could not use my service.

Sprint is responsible for sending out the update and even if there are bugs previously undetected in tests (and I have a really hard time believing that proper, complete testing wouldn't show some of the more widespread bugs, such as the GPS issue) it's on them to communicate with Samsung to correct and offer credits to those who have been affected. (And if the GPS - and other issues - cannot be fixed until Samsung does something, then Sprint certainly shouldn't be instructing customers to trot over to stores for resets and then endure the painstakingly long process of restoring data, apps, settings, etc.)

Instead, we have customers who are forced to fix their own problems, lose services/features that previously worked fine and still have to pay for what should be a fully functional service while Sprint avoids taking any responsibility.

Maybe I should have read my service agreement more closely. Apparently, Sprint has a clause that allows them to change whatever they want, whenever they want and then expect the customer to figure it out themselves.

The one good thing I'll say though, is that the usage summaries and averages offered in the "My Sprint" area really helped me determine how much data I use and what kind of plan to get with my new carrier. Thanks for that, Sprint!

Journeyman

When the epic first came out, it was one of sprints most popular phones. 3 months in they released the first froyo update that  had so many errors that sprint had to suspened the update all together. Unfortunately for the ones that downloaded the froyo were stuck with a complete piece of junk until 6 months later when the released the fix.  My phone worked fine unil sprint solicited me with this gingerbread update.   What is really infuriating is the fact that most the changes are cosmectic: my battery icon  image changed  and I get a blue bar when I scroll down to the bottom of a page. Impressive considering I now have a premier smart phone that can't even play music with out constantly skipping and shuttering. I also noticed my battery life has diminished significantly. I heard that sprint stores can flash to previous froyo. You might want to look into it. I know I will.

jreal07 wrote:

When the epic first came out, it was one of sprints most popular phones. 3 months in they released the first froyo update that  had so many errors that sprint had to suspened the update all together. Unfortunately for the ones that downloaded the froyo were stuck with a complete piece of junk until 6 months later when the released the fix.  My phone worked fine unil sprint solicited me with this gingerbread update.   What is really infuriating is the fact that most the changes are cosmectic: my battery icon  image changed  and I get a blue bar when I scroll down to the bottom of a page. Impressive considering I now have a premier smart phone that can't even play music with out constantly skipping and shuttering. I also noticed my battery life has diminished significantly. I heard that sprint stores can flash to previous froyo. You might want to look into it. I know I will.

Wow...your sense of time is way off.

Froyo was released 6 months after the phone. The phone came out in Aug, Froyo was released in Feb.

The first version of Froyo (EB13) was released on 2/21 and was pulled shortly after due to major issues with several functions not working correctly afterwards. The fixed version of Froyo (EC05) was released on 3/21 for devices that hadn't got the other update and 3/28 for devices that had gotten the bad update. Just over a month...not 6.

The cosmetic changes are changes to Samsung's custom interface, Touchwiz. They are not changes in Android itself. And yes, there were not many changes between Froyo and Gingerbread that will be obvious. Most are changes for improved performance and battery life....and some of the other changes to Android were already present on the Epic because of Samsung's Touchwiz.

Battery life issues are most likely caused by an app or process running when it shouldn't or the phone not going into deep sleep when idle. I've seen slightly improved battery life on Gingerbread over Froyo.

Journeyman

I'd like to just add here, that when you do an internet search for the Gingerbread issues, did you think that you would get an overwhelming balance of people praising and people mad about the update?

Think about it, if everything was working right with your phone, would you call Sprint to tell them about it? Or would you even post on these forums praising the recent update? The answer is no, you wouldn't. These forums and the rest of the internet is mostly a place for people to complain about the issues that they have been having, and most of the people having little to no trouble with their phones will most likely not even be aware of these posts.

So if you base your research on what most people say about the update, then your polling group is a little lopsided.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat