cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antivirus/antispam app suggestions for the Epic?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Antivirus/antispam app suggestions for the Epic?

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best free antivirus/antispam app on the market for the Samsung Epic? Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Antivirus/antispam app suggestions for the Epic?

The Epic / Android phones don't have the same virus problem that Windows PC's do.  Totally different architecture and security model.  

There are a few AV programs out there -- I've read good reviews for Lookout: https://www.mylookout.com/

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

I also use Lookout and it seems to work well and has minimal impact to my battery life.  It's hard to evaluate the antivirus because I've never actually been infected with one.  It also has some other features that I like such as the ability to track your phone online using GPS if it gets lost or stolen.  It also will make your phone "squeal" until you find it if you lose it around the house.  There are some premium services such as the ability to lock your phone or wipe it clean in the event it is stolen and you have sensitive info that you're concerned about being compromised but so far I haven't tried those features.

Journeyman

I just went to download it and the cautions from Sprint on this program are kind of scary - it has access to all messages, all searches, all content on your phone, can delete the contents of the entire phone... Is this a company that Sprint trusts? How do I know? That seems like a lot of info of mine it has access to. Or is this what we are coming to with these phones? Is this the tradeoff?

One more thing - MyLookout recommends that we upgrade to Android 2.3 to protect our phones ... but as i understand it, the Epic cannot be upgraded. Is that correct?

Message was edited by: BTSPEAKER

Wizard

Regarding the permissions, I'm not sure how you decide what you should trust.  I'm new to Android and have wondered that myself.  To some extent, it seems like you can use a bit of common sense.  If a program is just supposed to set wallpapers or something like that, why would it need to know your GPS location?  (Not to pick on anything in particular, just making up something here.)  I think some of the permissions are tamer than they may seem, but I'm no expert.

Regarding 2.3 -- I think it's standard practice to recommend updating to the latest version of an operating system (or any software, for that matter) in order to help maintain security.  Unfortunately, we don't have control over when or if our smartphones get OS updates.  So while it's probably good advice, we can't do anything about it.  We have to wait for Sprint (or whoever) to push updates to us.  Well, I suppose if you root your phone and use custom ROMs or something, you can update sooner, but officially and unrooted, you're waiting to be pushed an updated.  At least that's my understanding of how things work.

From what I've read on the web, there seems to be general agreement that the Epic will get Gingerbread (2.3) eventually, but I don't think Samsung or Sprint has officially stated that yet.  So hopefully we will get 2.3, but who knows when -- we're still waiting on 2.2 and 2.3 is out now, so we're running 2 versions behind.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I hope this is of some help.

Journeyman

Lookout seems to be quite reputable.  Several apps have similarly scary permissions notices.  I installed Lookout on my Epic when I first got it and have used it in the past on my Hero.  My Epic used to reboot or shutdown randomly and I was told by a technician at the Sprint store that Lookout could be the cause.  Since removing Lookout, I have not had any problems.  I don't know for sure that Lookout was causing problems on my phone, but if you start to notice any strange behavior try removing Lookout first.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat