cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having a problem with GPS lock?

Journeyman

Anyone else having a problem with GPS lock?

I used Google Navigation and the first time it worked great.  The second time I used it, it kept losing and then re-aquiring the satellite link.  Then today, I had GPS turned off while at work and when I got in the car, I turned it back on.  GPS signal could not be found.  I waited 10 minutes (I was outside, clear sky, no obstructions) and no GPS lock.  I turned GPS off and on severals times and continue to wait with no lock.  Finally, I powered off the phone, turned it back on and went straight to Google Nav.  GPS was acquired in about 5 seconds and maps worked great.

It seems to me that Samsung does not have the GPS issue fully resolved on the Epic.  I was wondering if anyone else had similar issues and/or is there a workaround (other than re-powering the phone).

133 REPLIES 133
Journeyman

Re: Anyone else having a problem with GPS lock?

Indeed, the GPS is one of the reasons I'm tentatively planning to return the phone.  Frankly, Samsung hasn't acknowledged the issue directly enough for me to have confidence in their intention to address it:  I've only seen Samsung say it's planning to "optimize performance".  They haven't specified to what degree.

Journeyman

i got the phone yesterday andx the gps is extremely buggy. biggest drawback so far.

Journeyman

Same problem. Worse in particular if I'm using WiFi. Very erratic GPS acquisition.

Journeyman

Before continuing your tests of the GPS capabilities, could you try going into - Settings > Location & Security > And check both "Use Wireless Networks" and "Use GPS Satellites" before trying to use any apps that use GPS? Engadget and other similar blogs have already noted that among the Samsung Galaxy S phones available in the US, the Epic is the only phone in which the GPS works without any issues. Also note that the phone might turn off your GPS when it isnt used for a while (so you might need to do this check before running any apps that uses GPS). Hope this helps.

Note: I am a Sprint Employee & a Samsung Epic 4G Product Ambassador; but mostly I'm a customer just like you

Journeyman

Ok, I will try that next.  When I got in the car to use GPS, I did turn WiFi off (seemed like a normal thing to do).  I did verify that GPS was on and remained on.  The GPS icon in the notification area at the top of the phone indicated it was attempting to acquire lock (satellite dish with blinking curves).  FWIW, the WiFi is screwy on this phone (see post in other thread).

Journeyman

Thanks Nav for the great information. The GPS issue has been the only drawback to this phone, other than that, I LOVE this phone. I use my  Garmin GPS device anyway.

Journeyman

Engadget and those other similar blogs apparently don't know how to assess GPS performance:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=764600&page=2

Even with "Use Wireless Networks" checked, my Epic takes three times longer to lock, and is five times less precise when locked, than my G1, standing still.

Journeyman

Hi, I am a Sprint employee and navrau2008 is absolutely correct.  The "Use Wireless Networks" option is unchecked by default (per Google's request). Following the steps listed above by navrau2008 should solve your issues.  Let us know if you are still having GPS issues.

Journeyman

drezjohnson,

Yes, I am still experiencing GPS issues.

As previously reported everywhere this issue is being discussed (including this thread) enabling "Use Wireless Networks" does not correct the poor GPS performance of the Epic.

Acquisition speeds are abysmal, accuracy is poor, as is precision.  As reported on xda-developers, the phone does not see as many satellites, and has worse SNR to those that it does.

Journeyman

nothing fixes the gps issue. perod. the people suggesting the "use network" fix obviously haven't tried it for themselves. because it doesnkt work. the only thing it DOES do is wake up the gps at random times, but it is still inacurate and takes ages to lock.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can you ensure that you have the DG27 update? If not, please try updating your phone using Settings > About Phone > System Updates. I was told that the DG27 update fixes any GPS lock issues. Please do let us know if that works.

Note: I am a Sprint Employee & a Samsung Epic 4G Product Ambassador; but mostly I'm a customer just like you

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat