cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having a problem with GPS lock?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Anyone else having a problem with GPS lock?

I used Google Navigation and the first time it worked great.  The second time I used it, it kept losing and then re-aquiring the satellite link.  Then today, I had GPS turned off while at work and when I got in the car, I turned it back on.  GPS signal could not be found.  I waited 10 minutes (I was outside, clear sky, no obstructions) and no GPS lock.  I turned GPS off and on severals times and continue to wait with no lock.  Finally, I powered off the phone, turned it back on and went straight to Google Nav.  GPS was acquired in about 5 seconds and maps worked great.

It seems to me that Samsung does not have the GPS issue fully resolved on the Epic.  I was wondering if anyone else had similar issues and/or is there a workaround (other than re-powering the phone).

133 REPLIES 133
Highlighted
Journeyman

1. No, but why do you have to be connected to wifi for the GPS to work?

2. No, not usually. I prefer to have Network Assistance turned off to save battery life. I have tried other android devices (evo, nexus one) and the GPS works perfectly fine without having network assistance turned on. I have also tried it with Network Assistance turned on but it's usually a hit or miss, it finds my location but if I am trying to navigate to a location I still receive the "searching for gps" message and I never get the navigation directions.

3. I have tried it both indoors and outdoors (80 degree weather with clear skies) and it does not work.

4.Google Maps, Google Navigation, Sprint Navigation, Google Places

5. Messages I frequently see are: "Waiting for location", "Your location is temporarily unavailable", "Searching for GPS".

6. I have tried it both ways, while stationary and while moving

7. I have experienced this issue in multiple locations (Maryland, DC, VA - while at work, at home, friend's house, restaurant)

It seems like Sprint's solution to this issue, is to make sure you have the "Use wireless networks" option enabled. The phone should be able to find your location solely by using the GPS, as mentioned I have tried this using phones such as the EVO and Nexus One and location is found without having "Wireless Network" option enabled. Based on communications I have heard from Sprint and Samsung the Epic's GPS is a non-issue, please listen to your customers and at least recognize it's an issue.

Message was edited by: Barsenal10

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wrote my response, but can't get my browser to paste it into this forum comment.  So I am attaching it at a text file.

Please note my amplification in the response to your question #5, explaining how to replicate the errors.  (Simply replying to Sprint's interrogatory would not have elicited this information.)

Message was edited by: boomerbubba

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

This is my answer to question 3:

3. Is the customer using the device outdoors with a clear view of the sky to allow a GPS Satellite location?

Yes, I have my child sitting on top of the car holding the Samsung Epic while I am using the Sprint Navigation 🙂

It is ridiculous constraint. I have the EVO or Garmin device on the tray between the front seats and get perfect GPS navigation.  Should not claim the device supporting GPS if it always require clear sky condition IMHO.

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.
Highlighted
Journeyman

If it is indeed a hardware issue, does it affect only the first batch of phones that were shipped? Because I contacted Sprint customer service and was told I was one of the first to call and complain about the GPS issue. The customer service agent told me he has the Epic and the GPS has given him no issues whatsoever. If this is the case, I will try to exchange my phone for another Epic and see if I still experience the issue. Have you heard anything from Sprint about this being a widespread issue or is it only affecting a small number of users?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Barsenal10 wrote:

If it is indeed a hardware issue, does it affect only the first batch of phones that were shipped? Because I contacted Sprint customer service and was told I was one of the first to call and complain about the GPS issue. The customer service agent told me he has the Epic and the GPS has given him no issues whatsoever. If this is the case, I will try to exchange my phone for another Epic and see if I still experience the issue. Have you heard anything from Sprint about this being a widespread issue or is it only affecting a small number of users?

The GPS problem affects all users.  It shows up in certain conditions -- typically using GPS after a day or so of not using it.  But immediately after the phone is rebooted, or the GPS cache is reset by any other method, the GPS will work for a time.   That is why some users report that their GPS works and others report it is broken.  (The underlying reason apparently is that the time-sensitive GPS almanac and/or ephemeris data in the cache is not being properly cleared and refreshed when it is obsolete.  Forcing the cache to be cleared is a temporary workaround.)

Also, using the GPS actively all the time may be refreshing the cache, but leaving it idle for a day will let problem recur.  Rebooting also forces the cache to clear.  When I first got my Epic I was testing the GPS actively and also rebooting frequently for other reasons, so it appeared that I didn't have the GPS bug.  But I did, and it was obvious when I started using it more normally.

As for what the Sprint customer service rep told you, realize that customer support reps generally are trained not to admit that a problem exists or has even been reported until it is officially logged as a known issue in their internal database.  That form of official dissembling -- sadly the norm in this industry -- may give the rep plausible deniability, but you should not infer from what they tell you that you really are the "first" to report the problem.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Barsenal10 wrote:

It is the same script that is being played, or Sprint CS never reads this message board.  I was told the same story when I complained about the Samsung Moment:

1.  You need to reload the software - of course it was a waste of time nothing get fixed

2. Oh. You use Google maps, not Sprint Navigation.  You have to use Sprint Navigation

3.  You are the first one who compalined about this problem

4.  You need to take this to a store, when I brought the device to the store still did not get it fixed, call back CS: you were in the wrong store that is a 3rd party store not a Sprint store (well it has the big Sprint logo sign outside)

5.  Are you have the device in the wide open? Well like I said I had my child sitting on the roof of the car when I need to use SprintNav 🙂

Why not just admit the phone has the problem and tell Samsung to pay for the damage.  Everybody who knows about GPS have done enough testing for Sprint.  That is what I call good CS.

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I can't believe Sprint can get away which such robbery. Charging a premium for a phone that has a known defect and then denying it. This wastes everyones time. Corporate thieves...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Bump.

Now that the upload speed is fixed, this is the #1 problem with the Epic.

Please fix this problem.  This is an embarrassment to Samsung and Sprint. I know this is not as pervasive a problem as the upload speed, but it is not difficult to recreate and absolutely is an implementation (software / firmware) defect(s) since it does work sometimes. It just so happens to be at the time it is MOST needed that it does not work.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's kind of weird, but I have not had any problem with the GPS since day one, and I never made a single change.  Right now, I am inside, 10' from a window,  and I got a lock within 2 minutes.   What's up with that?  What could possibly make my Epic so special?

Be that as it may, I still do not have D18, and I assume that when my phone has been updated, I will have problems with the GPS, although the upload speed will be fixed.  To tell the truth, I'd rather have the GPS.  Well, maybe my assumption is incorrect.  Have other people's GPSs gone South once they've been updated to DI18?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've only had my Epic for 4 days so I'm not as familiar with the GPS issue as the 'veteran' owners but have a few observations/questions. 

While my google navigation seems to be working fine after the DI07 and DI118 updates, I still seem to have a bit of an issue with accuracy and am not sure if I'm getting location info via the actual GPS or if it's coming from the cell networks.  I suspect the latter because when I load up google maps or google nav the blue dot representing my location has quite a large blue circle around it.  This circle, I'm lead to believe is a visual indicator as to how precise it's able to pinpoint my location.  In this case, not so good as the blue circle represents about an 11 block radius around my indicated location.

Also, I have the text 'Searching for GPS...' at the bottom of the screen which pretty much never goes away and the animated GPS icon in the notification bar perpetually displays, indicating what I assume to mean it's tracking my location and failing to find it.  If I enter an address to navigate to, I'm able to get route information, which I assume comes over the data connection so that probably explains that.  I haven't actually used google nav to track me from one location since the update so I'm not sure at this point if the location I'm seeing is from aGPS(which it probably is due to the lack of accuracy) or from the GPS itself. 

So my question is, is the Searching for GPS text at the bottom of the screen a bug that just doesn't clear it from the display, or is it really not finding the GPS and not actually using the GPS to pinpoint my location but instead is using Wireless Networks(aGPS) meaning the DI07 update didn't fix jack squat?

FYI, I have power cycled my phone numerous times and the behavior is the same.

Should I exchange my phone?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Psycloned wrote:

So my question is, is the Searching for GPS text at the bottom of the screen a bug that just doesn't clear it from the display, or is it really not finding the GPS and not actually using the GPS to pinpoint my location but instead is using Wireless Networks(aGPS) meaning the DI07 update didn't fix jack squat?

FYI, I have power cycled my phone numerous times and the behavior is the same.

Should I exchange my phone?

Bingo, your GPS is NOT working, you are in fact using the wireless network location, which as you mentioned is not accurate and draining at least an extra 5% (probably more) of your battery every hour.  BTW, it's not important to this issue, but wireless network location is not aGPS.

You can exchange your phone, but that will NOT resolve this problem.

Cheers

Highlighted
Journeyman

oddly enough I rebooted my phone shortly after I posted this and everything started working.  I also applied the gps cold start fix so I'm not sure what fixed it. I can now say that I have no problems with my phone.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat