cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having a problem with GPS lock?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Anyone else having a problem with GPS lock?

I used Google Navigation and the first time it worked great.  The second time I used it, it kept losing and then re-aquiring the satellite link.  Then today, I had GPS turned off while at work and when I got in the car, I turned it back on.  GPS signal could not be found.  I waited 10 minutes (I was outside, clear sky, no obstructions) and no GPS lock.  I turned GPS off and on severals times and continue to wait with no lock.  Finally, I powered off the phone, turned it back on and went straight to Google Nav.  GPS was acquired in about 5 seconds and maps worked great.

It seems to me that Samsung does not have the GPS issue fully resolved on the Epic.  I was wondering if anyone else had similar issues and/or is there a workaround (other than re-powering the phone).

133 REPLIES 133
Highlighted
Journeyman

Psycloned wrote:

oddly enough I rebooted my phone shortly after I posted this and everything started working.  I also applied the gps cold start fix so I'm not sure what fixed it. I can now say that I have no problems with my phone.

Either of those -- the Cold Start setting or rebooting -- are temporary workarounds.  Neither is a "fix."  You can expect the probelm to recur after some time when your GPS cache gets corrupted or outdated again.  Those workarounds cause the cache to be reset.  That is symptomatic of the Epic's GPS bug, which your phone and all other Epic 4G phones still have.

A real fix must come from Samsung and Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

boomerbubba wrote:

Either of those -- the Cold Start setting or rebooting -- are temporary workarounds.  Neither is a "fix."  You can expect the probelm to recur after some time when your GPS cache gets corrupted or outdated again.  Those workarounds cause the cache to be reset.  That is symptomatic of the Epic's GPS bug, which your phone and all other Epic 4G phones still have.

A real fix must come from Samsung and Sprint.

Yes, and it will happen at the worst time and for some reason at that time, a reboot or the cold start workaround won't help.  It's happened to me five times now where I reboot and I have the cold start workaround and it still won't lock.  The last time was this past weekend at the Texas State Fair in Dallas.  Wide open spaces, clear sky, time to leave so I take out the Epic where I had recorded where I parked my car earlier that day (when I recorded the location the GPS was working fine.)  I was obviously in the same general area (within a mile), so the startup data should have still been good (although it had been about 10 hours so it may have expired) and NOTHING.  I opened GPSStatus and it showed 9 sats but no lock.  So I rebooted the phone and NOTHING, again, 9 sats but no lock (I almost threw the damn thing on the ground.)  I found my car and drove to a restaurant (good thing I have nav in my car, I'm not too familiar with the Dallas area.)  At the restaurant I checked again and it was working again (now that I didn't need it anymore.)

I know that in the grand scheme of things, this may seem like a minor problem, but when you get used to using your phone for certain things and depend on it, this becomes a MAJOR problem.  I had to stop using foursquare (on the Epic) because of this.  Again, not a big problem, but WHY, it just seems so ridiculous and elementary.

Journeyman

PleaseFixTheEpic wrote:

Bump.

Now that the upload speed is fixed, this is the #1 problem with the Epic.

Agreed. Now that DI18 is behind us, let us continue to be vocal about this bug, and hope it gets similar (or better) attention going forward.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Another issue you also need to be aware of is that the Epic has an inferior GPS reception (see my earlier post comparing the Epic, EVO and Moment GPS).  So if you drive around New York city, you may find that the Epic will unlikely see enough satellites to do any thing.  This issue may not be able to be fixed unless a new hardware revision.

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.
Highlighted
Journeyman

If this issue was resolved, I'd be very happy with this device.

I hope that this issue is addressed as the upload "cap" was especially because Samsung had convinced the early reviewers of the device that the GPS issue was resolved which is definitely is not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I already returned the phone because of major flaws and bad software. But question, did the DI18 update do anything for the GPS issues ?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Salters88 wrote:

I already returned the phone because of major flaws and bad software. But question, did the DI18 update do anything for the GPS issues ?

NO.  It was not supposed to.  The primary reason for that urgent update was to cure 3G upload performance issues.

AFAIK, Sprint has made no public statement about fixing the GPS bugs, although individual Sprint tech reps reportedly have confirmed the existence of the problem off the record.  Reportedly, the issue has been referred to Samsung, but I have never seen any news about progress there.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The update did nothing to fix my GPS problem. My phone, which is at least 80% dependent on GPS use in my case, is still useless, even with rebooting and long waits for lock.

And the one app I was hoping to see improved with the update, Qik, is still unusable. But this is even the case on wifi.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is becoming more and more frustrating. It’s significantly reducing the usefulness of this phone.

Today I had my sixth episode that almost resulted in the throwing of the damn phone. Often I have more than one phone with me (either an Evo or TP2) but when I only want to carry one, I wish it could be the Epic. Today I received a call from an associate while I was on the road.  He gave me the name of a place we were going to meet. After the call I launched the navigate app, waiting, waiting, waiting, no location. Already starting to fume, I pull over.  Try again, same thing, reboot phone, still nothing, look at GPSStatus, it sees 10 Sats but only 2 locked and not enough to get a position lock. I’m in a convertible with the top down, clear blue sky with a strong signal. So I turn on use wireless networks.  After about a minute I’m able to use the nav app, but it shows me a half mile from where I am, what the f good is that. I google the place (at least that works) to get the address and put it into the car nav system. I leave the phone on just to see, it has me in fields, two blocks over, missing turns, already past turns, …  about 10 minutes later I’m almost there and it finally has me on the road and gives me the last turn correctly.  Useless.  Please fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had my GPS on for a good 6 hours, today, under all sorts of different conditions and locations and it never got a lock.  I am disgusted, and am planning on returning the phone.  Is anybody else fed up enough to do that? 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Although I don't use it a lot, QIK has worked fine between myself and a friend who has an EVO.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you powered your phone off, then back on, did you still not get a lock?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat