ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having a problem with GPS lock?

Journeyman

Re: Anyone else having a problem with GPS lock?

Definitely bugs with it.

Curious to see if anyone else is having a problem with GPS (cold start enabled) not working at all when you leave an area with WiFi left on.  I use WiFi in my house and when I go for walks, I don't remember to turn it off.  It is those times that my GPS will not get a lock on any satellite until I turn off WiFi and then, after several minutes, it finally starts to lock.  I always keep use network locations turned off.

Also wondering if the same behavior is with 4G but I don't have 4G in my area to test with.

Journeyman

othan1 wrote:

Definitely bugs with it.

Curious to see if anyone else is having a problem with GPS (cold start enabled) not working at all when you leave an area with WiFi left on.  I use WiFi in my house and when I go for walks, I don't remember to turn it off.  It is those times that my GPS will not get a lock on any satellite until I turn off WiFi and then, after several minutes, it finally starts to lock.  I always keep use network locations turned off.

Also wondering if the same behavior is with 4G but I don't have 4G in my area to test with.

othan1,

You are onto something here.  For the benefit of readers here, following is what I just posted in response to your similar post at xda:

I don't think it is the GPS receiver that has a problem.  It is the network-based refreshing of the GPS cache, which is what the Cold Start setting triggers -- that is a problem.  Having WiFi on inhibits the cellphone network data connection, and after you leave the house your WiFi does no good.

I and some others have found that this cache refresh not only needs WiFi off, but also 4G off.   The refresh occurs smoothly using 3G data.  (This 4G behavior makes little sense to me, and I think it is itself another symptom of the Epic's bug.)

I use the Cold Start workaround.  To make it work effectively, before I start the GPS I make sure WiFi is off.  When I am outside and need to initialize the GPS, I temporarily toggle 4G off.  Then I open GPS Test, which turns the GPS radio on, forces a Cold Start refresh of the cache, and confirms that I get good satellite locks.  Then I turn 4G on again before using an app such as Google Maps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks, boomer.  Wanted to keep this in the eyes of the masses and figured the more information, the better.  It's a problem...just wish it was addressed.

Journeyman

Confirmed, Epic is unable to refresh its ephemeris cache on either WiFi or 4G. For this reason, I can't ever use WiFi at home, because I *always* end up using an app that polls the GPS. Once it fails to refresh, even on cold start, I have to reboot the phone, no exceptions. Extraordinarly-frustrating because using WiFi is obviously much more preferable. My mother has the Transform, and has no such problems. And when I'm on travel in a 4G area, constant swapping isn't helpful either.

Journeyman

i have the evo and it starting locking/restarting 4 days ago everytime i use the navigation system. sprint/google taken it to the store 4 times,and the only thing they can do id order me a new phone.looks like i am going to say goodbye to sprint after 4 years.

Journeyman

Journeyman

One sliver of good news:  There reportedly is an early beta version of new firmware, based on Froyo, being tested.  At least one of the GPS problems -- the bogus 30-meter estimated accuracy -- seems to be gone. So some kind of GPS update seems to be bundled with the Froyo release in the pipeline.   No word yet on whether there is any fix for the more serious locking bug.  See

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=9044617&postcount=131

Journeyman

The latest news from those testing the leaked Froyo-based firmware is that the GPS locking bug does not seem to be fixed yet.  See

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=837070

That poster, Aero1, has probably done the best work in the entire Epic user community in isolating and testing the GPS bugs.  In another thread at xda with a mishmash of general comments about this leaded ROM, the various anecdotal reports seem mixed.  But most of those cowboys haven't a clue how to test the GPS or its specific bugs.

Of course, it is not surprising if the upcoming release does not fix the GPS bugs, because the manufacturer does not claim that there is any such fix.  Neither Samsung nor Sprint have ever acknowledged publicly that there are such bugs in the first place.

Journeyman

I've been frustrated with my Epic's GPS since day 1.  I basically cannot use applications that are GPS dependent to their full ability.  I like the phone, I do, but this is becoming a major problem for me.  I made the change to "cold start" but haven't seen much of an improvement.  I plan on going to the Sprint store this afternoon because the black molding around my device is beginning to crack off...and no, there is NO visible physical damage from drops or anything.  This started with a small hairline crack and has gone from there.  But back on topic, I find it unacceptable that the GPS is not up to par and also find it downright ridiculous that we don't have Froyo yet, my goodness!

Journeyman

Subject should be - Everyone is having a problem with GPS lock!

New out of the box 2 days ago and this gps blows.  good thing I held on to my hero.

I have zero GPS problems with the Hero and the Galaxy Tab. the epic lots of problems with the GPS.

Can't get a lock - VERY inacurate.

If I did not have NAV in my Car and have a active HERO on me too I would trade the epic in for an evo in a heart beat even with out the keyboard. I belive that the integrated GPS has driven the sales of mobile phones though the roof. Oh and lets remind everyone that this is about the most expensive phone you can buy.

Samsung if its your problem FIX IT - Sprint - make them FIX IT.

Its sad to see 100's of people in this thread trying to work around the problem.  Sad

I am N 2 Hiking - just not with a epic would get lost for sure.

I am updating my comments.    Seems that the GPS works ok ( for me anyway ) **** IF wifi is turned off. ***** ( like other posts say ).  It does take a while to aquire a lock at times ( like one minute ) which is better than my Garmin Legend. My Hero takes only seconds. Oh well. Lucky for me I have a great 3G signal at home. 4G early december.    I am Still VERY happy with the Epic.  I said that I would trade for the evo but that was before I realized that the GPS is a problem specificly if the wifi is on. This if for me is not a big deal.  However it should work and I will say it again.   Samsung / Sprint FIX it

Oh yeah.   I have 2 Epics and they both do the exact same thing. No matter what my location is.

Message was edited by: N2HIKING

Sprint Product Ambassador

N2HIKING wrote:

Subject should be - Everyone is having a problem with GPS lock!

New out of the box 2 days ago and this gps blows.  good thing I held on to my hero.

I have zero GPS problems with the Hero and the Galaxy Tab. the epic lots of problems with the GPS.

Can't get a lock - VERY inacurate.

If I did not have NAV in my Car and have a active HERO on me too I would trade the epic in for an evo in a heart beat even with out the keyboard. I belive that the integrated GPS has driven the sales of mobile phones though the roof. Oh and lets remind everyone that this is about the most expensive phone you can buy.

Samsung if its your problem FIX IT - Sprint - make them FIX IT.

Its sad to see 100's of people in this thread trying to work around the problem.  Sad

I am N 2 Hiking - just not with a epic would get lost for sure.

This is the same reason why I chose the HTC EVO.

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.
Journeyman

So I thought I would post because I did NOT have this problem out of the box and the GPS seemed to work great for the first couple months I owned the phone. However, in the last two weeks it has begun happening to me all the time. Very much the symptoms described in the OP.

FYI, another leaked update of the coming Froyo build may have improved this. This thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=849690 contains a link to the dk17 modem and buried in all the other comments in the thread a couple people suggested that this led to faster GPS lock for them. We'll see....

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat