cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having a problem with GPS lock?

Wizard

Re: Anyone else having a problem with GPS lock?

The GPS lock (potential cache) issue is being investigated by Sprint.  I will post more information as soon as it becomes available.

Journeyman

dshoem01 wrote:

The GPS lock (potential cache) issue is being investigated by Sprint.  I will post more information as soon as it becomes available.

Thank you. There are some minor GPS issues, perhaps adressed by the update,  but GPS assistance data cache stuck with invalid data is the big one.

The workaround widely posted on Epci specific forums on Android sites is:

Enter GPS debug/settings application by typing *#1472365#
click "Setup" tab
click "position mode"
Click "starting mode
Enable "Cold Start"
Back out.

If you wish to return it to default state, you would return it to hot start at the second to last step.

Journeyman

Formula315 wrote:

I too made sure the aGPS was turned on and I still have spotty gps lock and 7 out of 10 times locates me several blocks away from my actual position.....

edward11b wrote:

Having read that the aGPS was off by default,

aGPS is not off by default on Epic. And aGPS/GPSis not affected at all by turning "use wireless networks" on or off.  "Use wireless networks" is an alternate method that does not use aGPS or GPS systems. Some unknowledgeable Sprint support people are incorrectly confusing "use wireless networks" location system and the aGPS/GPS's location system based on a false claim by Samsung, who either doesn't understand their own location stack and device or has unknowledgeable public relations people answering aGPS question incorrectly or to to misdirect actual aGPS issues by having users turn on the less accurate wireless networks location system when the aGPS system fails .

"use wireless networks" uses the location of the single land tower that you are connecting to for voice and data to guess a position within up to a couple of miles, a triangulation of several land towers, range and timing differences between those towers, or even possibly so measurement over wifi, and is always less accurate. It is useful and advisable for position when you cannot get signals from satellites due to being indoors.

Journeyman

I can"t use navigation, maps, or jogtracker...even my pre could do this.....I do not want to use tower triangulation, I want gps.....what can I do?

Sprint Product Ambassador

Thank you Sprint for communicating, that gives us a lot of hope that the problem will be addressed.

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.
Journeyman

I'm just an Army user, so I don't claim to have a magical engineering solution- just what works for me.  It seems as though the GPS issue is the GPS components initializing and starting up, especially using Sprint Navigation and Google Maps.  Based on another blog's recommendation, I downloaded GPS Test & GPS Status from the Android Market.  I use either one of these apps first.  They seem to do a better job initializing the GPS components of the Epic.  I've gotten GPS lock times generally within 10 seconds.  If I need to use Maps or Navigation, I'll start those apps after.

Journeyman

I've realized that the majority of what I want to use this phone for is GPS related, that is why this issue is so problematic. I've probably made 15 phone calls in the >2 weeks I've had it, but I (try) to use GPS related functions all the time.

Today, it wouldn't get GPS, as usual, but even worse, after rebooting, and finally several battery removals, I still couldn't get a lock. I was near the Sprint store so I thought I'd see what they've been hearing. Not a single employee at the store had ever heard about the issue.

I've got about a week left to turn this thing back in, otherwise, if I keep it, I'll just return the handset everyday for a new one until they get it working. Let Samsung deal with 30 returns a month from just one customer, one store and maybe they'll get this resolved.

I'd love to see them try to force me to keep a handset that can't get a GPS lock without power-cycling every hour.

Journeyman

Hello danohi,

I'm confused.  You downloaded GPS Test and GPS Status and you start these two applications before you use Maps or Navigation.

Do you start BOTH of these applications before using Maps or Navigation? If so, have you noticed any difference in which one you start first?

If you don't start BOTH of these applications first, which one do you start first GPS Test or GPS Status?

If these application(s) work, then it sounds like it could be a good work around for the time being.

Sorry for being confused.

Thanks for your time,

Joe

Journeyman

We got the 3G cap being worked on, lets get this started.

Tried Cold start, Warm Start and Hot Start with reboots between them all.  It took 20 minutes of messing with it to get a GPS lock for my RunKeeper app.  By that time, it was getting too dark to even run.

Shots included.  Have seen my GPS get worse after the new update.  Have had it "see" only 1 sat in an open area since the update also.

Journeyman

Hey Joe,

Maybe I wasn't clear.  To ensure that the GPS components are intialized, I start up either GPS Test or GPS Status, wait for the satellites to get found, locked, then I exit the first app & open up Google Maps.  Both work fine, GPS Test (in my subjective judgement) works slightly faster, but GPS Status will 1) notify me if GPS has been turned off and send me to the settings page to turn it on, and display my location in Lat/Long or Military Grid Reference System coordinates.

Journeyman

The intermittent aGPS failure to initialize has been examined by users and a user workaround which works perfectly has been posted. You cannot use gpsstatus to set or even reset the cache. The cache on the Epic works differently. You have to go to Epic's own GPS debug menu as outlined by the working fix now tested by and confirmed by many expert users. Use this, it works:

http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-support-troubleshooting/179689-gps-cache-problem-workaround-tested-working.html

I assisted the poster of this fix in identifying the exact problem. Samsung and Sprint may come up with a more refined fix, I understand they are looking into it, but this workaround works 100% effective in the meantime. Many many people who ah been having problems have implemented it with 100% success in proper GPS conditions. If you are not getting a fix in good outdoor GPS conditions your Epic  has a unique problem and you should replace it.

Journeyman

danohi -

Thanks for explaining.

Thanks,

Joe

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat