cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having a problem with GPS lock?

Journeyman

Re: Anyone else having a problem with GPS lock?

My phone:

Baseband Version

S:D700.0.5S.DG27

Build number

Samsung ECLAIR.DG27

Journeyman

i have dg27 and the phone will not update any further

Journeyman

Baseband version

S:D700.0.5S.DG27

Build number

Samsung ECLAIR.DG27

Hardware version

D700.0.5

BTW, The "Use wireless networks" setting had no effect on GPS satellite acquisition.  I methodically tried several permutations of settings and still the GPS notification icon would blink and blink and blink.  This is also apparent in other location-based apps such as Poynt.  A power-off, then power-on and acquisition would occur in seconds.  I performed these tests outside on a clear day with no obstructions.  Is there a way I can view the NMEA statements coming out of the GPS? (read "free app")  I am curious as to the HDOP and VDOP and number of satellites in view.

Journeyman

So far I have not been able to duplicate the issue on my Epic however we'll be following up on this so that this will not be an ongoing problem.  As soon as more info is available we will definitely provide an update. Also if any of you figure this out, please let us know.  Thanks.

Journeyman

I got the Epic the 31st and right off the bat, the gps was garbage just like the Moment (another Samsung phone). Makes you wonder what they are using for a gps radio. Anywho, the only way I could get a lock at all was to shut off 4g, wifi and bluetooth. Reboot the phone and go right to Maps or Nav. I got a lock (85 percent of the time) within seconds and it was accurate to within 20 feet. GPS and assist both checked in settings. But like I said this was only about 85 percent of the time, sometimes it would still put me up to 1000 feet away from where I was. The other Galaxy S phones seem to have the same problem from what i've read. I saw on a site somewhere that there is a fix coming with the Froyo update. Not sure if thats true, or it will be a seperate update like they did with the Hero, but they are both expected in Sep. I remember a similar claim being made about the Moment and Android 2.1. Other than the GPS, I realy love the Epic so I hope they do get it fixed soon, but I think Samsung is realy dropping the ball when it comes to GPS on there phones.

Message was edited by: timm1313

Journeyman

Do you have a link to an announcement that the GPS fix will come with the Froyo update?  The only announcement from Samsung that I've seen came from it's Twitter feed:  http://twitter.com/SamsungMobileUS/status/21095105326

That message doesn't say whether the fix will be bundled with the Froyo update, or not.

Journeyman

Sorry, I didn't save it, should have. I'll for it again and post link if I can remember where and find it.

Message was edited by: timm1313

Journeyman

*You should actually turn "use wireless networks" OFF, otherwise you won't know if GPS really works.

Hi, Just found this thread by a link someone posted at android forums.

Dear Sprint Employee, I read one of your posts where you are instructing people to turn on "use wireless networks." For those who don't know, turning use wireless networks essentially uses the cell phone network to locate you. Dear Sprint Employee, would you not agree that GPS was intended to be used by satellites? Would you not also agree, by telling customers to turn "use wireless networks" on, is nothing more than a clever way to possibly mask and disguise a deeper issue with the GPS not being able to utilize satellites? Finally, Dear Sprint Employee, I would hope you would want your customers to truely have a working phone, a phone they paid $249.99 for. Thus I would hope, their phone's GPS would work by utilizing satellites, the way the GPS was designed to work, your solution is nothing more than a poor solution to mask a problem by using cell phone networks.

For anyone reading this. Your GPS SHOULD WORK WITH "USE WIRELESS NETWORKS" unchecked, set to OFF. Turning that on, will do nothing more than trick you into thinking GPS is working, because your phone will be using the wireless networks.

Here is a thread explaining how to test your GPS the right way, without being tricked into turning "use wireless networks" on.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-epic-4g/163692-testing-gps-satellite-usage-your-new-epic-right-way-...

Journeyman

Yes, I have this issue on and off.  It appears to be the same (or at least not worse) than it was on the Samsung Captivates that I returned to AT&T to get the Epic, which was supposed to have this issue fixed.

I may ask Sprint to swap us out for Evos.

You can't have a smartphone without GPS and Samsung does not inspire confidence.

Samsung has had Galaxy Ses in the market for months and months.  If this were Apple, then congressmen would be talking about goverment intervention.

Journeyman

My biggest concern at this point is the return period of 30 days.

If I decide to believe samsung (which was a bad idea at launch) that the issue will be resolved in september, but it doesn't get resolved, am I entitled to a full refund or exchange after the 30 days? I mean, the GPS just doesn't work, kind of a big boo boo no?

I agree, if this was apple it would be a national catastrophe.

Once again consumers get screwed because noone monitors false advertisement in these companies.

Journeyman

Me too.  Sprint may just have to get some returns with immediate rebuys (under my wife's name) from us so we can buy more time for the Android 2.2 update and GPS fix.

I don't want to be locked into a bad device for 2 years.

Maybe we can get a contingency from them:

"Promise us a fix and if not delivered then we can cite this as a breach of contact and move to a different carrier with no ETF."

I am not holding my breath.

Journeyman

I did some testing and ran the built-in Android GPS setup:   dial *#1472365#

I experimented with the Setup -> Position Mode -> Operating Mode and had the MSBased on.  I believe this support was added/fixed for the Galaxy S phones that has been discussed in August.  For grins, I switched to MSAssisted and no go (GPS notification icon just kept flashing).  Switched back to original MSBased and started the GPS (Command -> Start GPS).  First fix received in seconds and eventually I found 10 satellites - this test was done indoors.  The type of fix was never noted.

One curious thing I noted was that the date was off; it was behind by exactly one month.  I don't know if this is just a display/cosmetic error or something more deeply rooted.  I also don't know if this would effect the calculation of ephemeral data.  Just something to note if any s/w developers are reading this thread...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat