cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having a problem with GPS lock?

Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Anyone else having a problem with GPS lock?

Ok, I enclose here a photo of 3 phones from left to right: Samsung Moment, HTC EVO and Samsung Epic.

The phones are placed indoor on a window sill, running GPSTest.

All running the latest code load from Sprint.

The EVO has far superior GPS reception than the other Samsung phones.  The Moment did have enough satellites but was not be able to lock.  That was after about 30 sec on the window sill.  The Epic has the worst reception

Please note this is a test using one sample phone from each, so may not be able to generalize.

The Samsung Moment here is my 3rd Moment, previous 2 units were useless with GPS.  This unit does pick up GPS signal but sometime would not get a fix.

As you can see the Moment and the Epic have a lot better screen brightness and contrast than the EVO.

I love the Epic screen but GPS is such important application for mobile these days, it will be hard to convince me to buy the amsung Epic.

-HB

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.
Journeyman

HungBui,

That is exactly what I'm seeing.

Wizard

As part of the troubleshooting Sprint is doing on this problem, I've been asked for the following info from those of you experiencing this issue:

1. Is Wifi turned on and in use when the problem occurs?
2. Does the customer have both the Network Assisted and GPS Location options checked in the Location settings?
3. Is the customer using the device outdoors with a clear view of the sky to allow a GPS Satellite location?
4. Which application(s) is the customer using for location?
5. Is the customer seeing an error message (i.e. Searching for GPS Location, Unable to Locate) or a specific behavior on the device?
6. Is the customer seeing this behavior while stationary or are they moving (i.e. in a car, tram, train)?
7. Does the issue occur in one geographic location? (i.e. Customer’s work, home, favorite restaurant)

Appreciate your help!

Journeyman

There was an update recently, but it didn't fix the issue.

What a joke.

Journeyman

1. Wifi does not need to be turned on, but if it is, it does seem to have a negative effect.  If Wifi is on or if it has recently (since the last reboot) been on, it will take MUCH longer (if ever) to obtain an initial lock.
2. The network assisted option kills my battery so I keep it disabled.  That said, if I enable it, it will provide a location but as you know, it is not at all accurate (often more than a mile off.)  That option is fine for getting a general geographic location (like zip code level for checking weather) but it is not useful for most other uses (like navigation or maps.)  Also, although that option will give you a quick general location, it does not seem to help the real GPS lock any quicker (again, my testing with that option is very limited since it kills my battery.)
3. The issue happens indoors and outdoors, being indoors is worse and it's not just the fact that being indoors blocks GSP signal (see the picture above where the Evo has no problem locking indoors.)  I do believe there are multiple issues.  At least two of which are:

• There is a general sensitivity issue where the Epic is simply not as sensitive as other devices. 
  • There is an issue with the aGPS data cache (noted by others earlier in this thread.)  Although this does not completely solve the GPS problems, it is absolutely a problem and very easy to recreate and test.

4. I regularly use Google Maps, Google Navigation, Sprint Navigation, Browser, Places, Find my car, Latitude, camera, sendposition, speedtest, ...  Also use GPSStatus & GPStest, but would not need those if it worked ;-).
5. It depends on the application.  I don't see anything that seems like it is coming specifically from the GPS.  The GPS indicator blinks forever or until the particular app times out waiting for it to lock.  When the app times out, it might display a msg that it was not able to obtain a position.
6. I see it both stationary and while moving, but while moving is MUCH worse.  If I'm stationary it will sometimes lock after a while (few minutes), if I'm moving and I don't get a lock within a minute, it is not likely to ever lock.
7. I travel a lot and have tested in many different locations around the USA and have not noticed a difference.

Journeyman

shoem01 wrote:

As part of the troubleshooting Sprint is doing on this problem, I've been asked for the following info from those of you experiencing this issue:

2. Does the customer have both the Network Assisted and GPS Location options checked in the Location settings?
3. Is the customer using the device outdoors with a clear view of the sky to allow a GPS Satellite location?
5. Is the customer seeing an error message (i.e. Searching for GPS Location, Unable to Locate) or a specific behavior on the device?
6. Is the customer seeing this behavior while stationary or are they moving (i.e. in a car, tram, train)?
7. Does the issue occur in one geographic location? (i.e. Customer’s work, home, favorite restaurant)

Appreciate your help!

NO NO NO. I hope that is not the questions from anyone at Sprint device!  Device Team already knows that there is no SUCH thing as a "network assisted option," user option on Epic. "Use wireless networks" has no affect, on e NONE  on the aGPS netwrok assistance data for aGPS

'

There are two toggle in the location menu for the two totally unrelated location systems:

aGPS (enabled though turning on GPS) , and

tower triangulation (enabled by turning on "Use wireless networks).

Sprint and Samsung have already done a great disservice by having someone conflate "use wireless networks" in their claims that this was a fix for GPS when it has ZERO to do with GPS as has been MASSIVELY documented on much ore in depth technical forums that have looked at the operation of EPIC inside out.

there are extensive thread on this at the various technical forums and this set of questions has nothing to do with the four documented bugs.

In fact it makes it seem sprint doens't even know what their own devices menus do!!! USERS cannot turn off network assisted aGPS if  GPS is toggled since the is no such user switch

Journeyman

PleaseFixTheEpic wrote:

2. The network assisted option kills my battery so I keep it disabled.  That said, if I enable it, it will provide a location but as you know, it is not at all accurate (often more than a mile off.)  That option is fine for getting a general geographic location (like zip code level for checking weather) but it is not useful for most other uses (like navigation or maps.)

You are correct but do not thinkt that really false low level tech support calling of tower triangualtion a "the network assited option." It is not a netork assited GPS option and no one form SAMSUNG would call it that on the record because they wold get their buts sued for false advertising: it has no affect on aGPS, and instead, as you surmised uses NO stattlites whatsoever and gives you a low level accutacy (6000 to 30 foot fix) using land towers alone

The true netork assited GPS (aGPS) option IS the GPS option on the Epci user menus.

Journeyman

1. Having WiFi enabled greatly increases the chance that valid ephemeris data will not be downloaded from the assistance servers. In fact, if WiFi is on and enough time has passed, I can confirm that ephemeris data is, in fact, not being received. Only fix after that failure is a reboot. If WiFi is kept off, it generally works fine.

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. GMaps, Sprint Nav, GPS Status

5. "Location unavailable" and the "pumping satellite receiver" icon

6. Both

7. Everywhere

Journeyman

I have had my Epic for less than 3 days and have experienced this issue on multiple occasions. I was sitting in my car for ten minutes waiting for the phone to connect to a gps satellite, I finally gave up. Based on some of the forums I have visited, it seems like Sprint and Samsung have not acknowledge the gps issues experienced by Epic 4G owners. I will be returning this phone before my 30 days are up if Sprint and Samsung do not come up with a fix for this issue. I have also heard complaints from users on other networks that have Galaxy S phones about similar issues. Samsung please get it together and fix this issue once and for all.

Message was edited by: Barsenal10

Sprint Product Ambassador

Barsenal10 wrote:

I have had my Epic for less than 3 days and have experienced this issue on multiple occasions. I was sitting in my car for ten minutes waiting for the phone to connect to a gps satellite, I finally gave up. Based on some of the forums I have visited, it seems like Sprint and Samsung have not acknowledge the gps issues experienced by Epic 4G owners. I will be returning this phone before my 30 days are up if Sprint and Samsung do not come up with a fix for this issue. I have also heard complaints from users on other networks that have Galaxy S phones about similar issues. Samsung please get it together and fix this issue once and for all.

The Sprint Epic GPS is a lot better than the Verizon Fascinate or the AT&T versions.  However, I doubt if any fix will make the Epic GPS better than what it is now.  It seems to be due to hardware deficiency (the GPS receiver performance is not up to standard) so I doubt if any software or firmware can fix it.  If GPS application is important for you, in my case it is, I think the EVO is amuch better choice.  Imagine you are driving in New York city, where there are lots of buildings, I doubt if the Epic will see any satellite, not even talking about the software issue trying to get a fix.  That is my 2 cents.

HB

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.
Journeyman

When overseas I confirmed neither Epic (mine or my wife's) would do the GPS without being on the Sprint network.  Now that I have returned home, both work fine and the separate GPS applications work ok when on the network such as GPS TEST, GPS STATUS, and GPS Compass.  However, once I put them in Airplane mode here, without being on the Spring network, none of the standalone apps or Spring Navigation function.    Since I am in the Sprint network most of the time it won't be an issue.  What I am concerned about is if I am on a trip, in a non-sprint or other network in the U.S., and want to use the navigation, will the GPS stop?  And, although the Epic allows control for data roaming I don't see an area where to control voice roaming.  Will the GPS work while roaming on another U.S. carrier?  For the most part these are minor issues for me but would love to be able to use the GPS completely standalone.  Others have posted information about aGPS and so on, but I am still trying to find technical data on the Epic as to whether it can do that or not, or is the phone locked down by Sprint for certain things?

Journeyman

It should be noted that our family has (2) two Epic 4G phones.  Results were the same for both.

No, in fact, in my case, I had the GPS Satellites turned on, but no wi-fi or Sprint connection.  It appears the GPS will not work standalone as it does on the EVO.  If I am on the Spring network, it appears to work ok.

I have tried both ways, but would prefer to use without network assistance to save on battery power.  Either way, unless I was on the Sprint mobile network the GPS did not function.

Yes, was utilizing outdoors with a clear view of the sky.

Although I realize Sprint Navigation only works when on the Sprint network, I tried using other applications that do work standalone on the EVO, just not on the Epic.  I have tried using GPS Status, GPS Test, and GPS Compass applications.  None of these apps would even provide a simple lat/long, nor show that they would see satellites.  The satellite dish icon would continue to flash without locking on to satellites.  Once I switched out of Airplane mode and allow the phone to be on a Sprint network, it would work fine.  So the question is, what happens if I drive into a non-Sprint covered area and rely on the GPS?  It should work standalone like the EVO.

No, not receiving any error codes, simply seeing the flashing satellite icon like it is searching for satellites but does not lock on.  Problem does not exist when unit is on the Sprint phone network.

Occurs whether moving or stationary.

Has happened in my home area (when phone not on Sprint network and in Airplane mode), or overseas where no Sprint coverage is available.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat