cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having problems with the "back" capacitive button being unresponsive?

Highlighted
Patron

Anyone else having problems with the "back" capacitive button being unresponsive?

I have noticed this all day now. The capacitive button to go "back" is unresponsive. I usually have to tap it several times or press unreasonably hard. Other forums have suggested swpying downward as a fix for the vibrant and captivate, but this method only works on the "menu" "home" and "search" buttons. here is a link for more information:

http://www.talkandroid.com/13036-samsung-epic-already-having-issues-on-launch-day/

I would appreciate an official explanation and promise to fix from either sprint or samsung as soon as possible. This problem interferes with the core functionality of the phone. If I don't, I plan on returning this phone within the 30 day limit.

24 REPLIES 24
Journeyman

Re: Anyone else having problems with the "back" capacitive button being unresponsive?

I too am having problems with the button and sometimes fell i am going to break the phone pushing so hard. but my wifes phone is not having problems.

Patron

Re: Anyone else having problems with the "back" capacitive button being unresponsive?

Well I hope they announce something soon. This could be a very big deal for sprint and samsung.

Journeyman

i too am having problems with the capative buttons. hopefully its just a software bug that can be fixed. but this problem is incredibly annoying and awful. i use those buttons a lot and i find myself not even wanting to use the phone because of it. if sprint and samsung dont have a pressrelease soon about the defect, im going and reactivating my trusty evo.

Journeyman

Hmmm.... strange... I'm not having any trouble. I wonder if this affects certain devices only.

Journeyman

I'm also having problems with the capacitive buttons - primarily the "back" button.

It's frustrating to get a new phone, only to find such a fundamental feature appears to have problems.

Sprint, are you listening?

Wizard

This problem has been reported in the retail stores too.  Sprint and Samsung are working to identify the cause.

Journeyman

Yes. I picked up an EPIC for my wife yesterday and the back button needs a bit of work for sure. I haven't had a problem with the other buttons. If you have haptic feedback enabled you can just leave your finger on the button until you feel the feedback and it works but the other buttons will work if you barely touch them. Not a huge issue but you have to get used to it.

This may be a design function. The Home and Settings buttons have a quick press and long press functionality. I've noticed that the search button has the same behavior as the back button. I just don't use the search button as much so I hadn't noticed it. This may be able to be changed with a software update.

Message was edited by: ENCXBG1

Journeyman

i actually just took my epic to sprint and got a new one and it works perfectly fine. the back buttn works like a charm as did all the soft touc buttons. just letting you guys know so if you have the same problem to take it in and get a new one!!!

Patron

I am also having the same problem, just the "Back" button. However, as I was ready to head to Sprint store, I kept playing around and here is what I found:

Remember how you do the finger print of your thumb? Use the center of your thumb, not the tip of finger as most of us do, and lightly touch the "Back" button. It seems to response this way. I don't know why, maybe the "Back" button just need a bigger area to touch and touch very lightly.

Journeyman

I picked up my Droid Epic yesterday and after a few hours of use, I finally decided the back button was not working the way it should.  At first I thought it was user error, as this was my first Droid.  Then I looked online, and saw there were others who are having the same problem.  I took my device straight back to the Sprint store and told them the issue.  They tried using the back button and experienced the same problem.  They promptly exchanged my device, and all works fine with the new device.  I will definitely keep an eye on it to see if the problem arises on this device.

Don't let them tell you that you have to take your device to the repair center.  They tried this with me, and I reminded them that I had 30 days to return, and it had only been 20 hours since I bought the phone.  I demanded an exchange, or a full refund.  Of course...they exchanged.

All in all, they took good care of me.  I don't think the folks at Sprint are really aware of this problem yet, but as returns start coming into the stores, they will figure it out.  Good luck everyone!

Slightly off topic, anyone know when Froyo 2.2 will be available for the Epic?  Mine still has 2.1 on it.

Journeyman

My back button works fine, but the Menu button seems I have to hit several times.  The one on the keyboard is fine.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat